“Forget wine, I'm going to be a chocolate snob”
Review of Cacao

Cacao
Ranked #12 of 129 Dessert in Portland
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
fayetteville, north carolina
“Forget wine, I'm going to be a chocolate snob”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

This place was a stop on a bike tour of Portland that we did. A few us went back again for the treats and the sipping chocolate. Loved this place and learned a great deal about new flavors of chocolate and tasted (and purchased) some delicious gourmet treats. Overall a delightful and tasty experience. A highlight!!!

Visited May 2011

seattle
“divine sipping chocolate”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

For those who love chocolate (and I'm one of them), a special break from the liveliness of downtown Portland might include treating oneself to Cacao's sipping chocolates - there were three flavors the day we visited. The clerk looked at the three of us visiting and guessed our preferences perfectly. The small (demi tasse) sized cup was perfect for sending us into that rich chocolate bliss. Really we took our time and enjoyed every sip. It was completely satisfying - no need to "supersize" the portions.

Usually I would think of a hot chocolate drink as being preferred in the cold weather, but we were there on a very warm day and we as happy as we could be.

• Visited July 2011
Sacramento Valley
“Yummy Chocolate Treats @ Cacao”
Reviewed February 7, 2011

August 2010. Enjoyed our visit to one of several Cacao shops in downtown PDX. Interesting and tasty collection of chocolates from all over. We recommend.

• Visited August 2010
1 Thank SeminarTrekker
Portland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Service and products ALWAYS fantastic, a must do when in Portland”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I live in Portland, and have been a customer at both Cacao stores w/in weeks of their opening. I am in about 2-4x a week, not only for myself, but to buy treats for friends, family and clients. I am not sure what happened with the woman who's review below goes off on "not being served", but I have never had that experience, or anything close to it, in over 200 visits. That's right, over 200. Each and every staff member has always been attentive, professional and polite. They have the ONLY drinking chocolate in Portland that I am aware of, and it is magnificent. Not to mention the nearly overwhelming array of choices available, any of which the staff can answer questions about. I truly cannot say enough good things about these stores, and the people who handle the counter.

1 Thank josht45
Seattle, Washington
“Good Stuff!”
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I remember back when Starbucks came out with a drinking chocolate, and I recall that while it was good, it was not great. Cacao was different.

Tasting like slightly thinned ganache, Cacao's drinking chocolate was indeed sublime. I actually stood sniffing it for about a minute before even taking my first sip, savoring the amazing rich aroma of the chocolate. Surprisingly, the small cup of chocolate was more than enough and I left feeling more than sated.

Good stuff!

Been to Cacao? Share your experiences!