“This is About as Good as Food Gets”
Review of Beast

Beast
Reserve with OpenTable
Beast is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #163 of 4,420 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Killingsworth
Transit: NE Portland br>Just off the corner of NE 30th Ave & Killingsworth St.
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Truly fabulous cuisine.

Only for the adventurous interested in outstanding dining. Single sitting, group dining where you get to sample the entire menu for that evening (you only pick your seating time, the Beast staff picks what you'll be having - seriously, no substitutions). But unless your tastes don't like straying far from burgers and pizza, Beast will provide you with a meal to fondly remember (I tried to make the foie-gras and quail egg last as long as possible). The $75 price was well worth it (food this great does not come cheap).

I highly recommend splurging and adding the wine flight ($35). I've never had better paired wines with the various foods than at Beast. If cost is an issue, split one wine flight with your dining partner (you'll still enjoy the full experience, just less wine for each of you).

Attentive and pleasant staff. My highest recommendation.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Six or seven visits in, and Beast continues to amaze. If you want the full-on meat-centric experience (they even have a pro-foie gras sign in the window), you need to go for dinner. Our first dinner there featured a course that included quail stuffed with rabbit hearts (tastes better than it sounds).

Service is excellent, but all seating is at two common tables. Substitutions are not possible given the way everything is plated for everyone for each course, so this is not a good spot for anyone who is picky or allergic. But adventurous eaters will be amply rewarded for the trek into NE PDX.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Fun restaurant. 2 seatings per night. Communal tables. Courses are served en masse so everybody gets the same thing at the same time. We had 6 courses and there wasn't a bad one in the bunch. The charcuterie plate is their signature I guess and it was very good. Duck dish was perfectly cooked. I liked the cured salmon dish a lot, but the consensus was there wasn't much salmon. The dessert was a little bit of a throw away, some frozen parfait thing. I would have liked to see something more worthy of the rest of the meal. But overall we had a really great meal, had a really good time, and it was a pretty good value. We got stuck next to some Crabby Patty who wasn't happy with anything, but we had a good time elbowing each other under the table every time she said something stupid. Make your own good time.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

This a fantastic experience and be ready to be dazzled. The food presentation is stunning as well as unexpected. The wine pairings work well but I found I was wanting for slightly larger pours. I think I would prefer to just order a bottle that would work well with the set menu. The atmosphere is family style which could be off putting but it really isn't. It's Portland! It is rich and complex food so do beware - if you are not used to this type of menu then the cost may not be appealing. We celebrated a birthday there and had a fun evening - especially by taking the late seating we didn't feel like we had to leave early to make room for another seating.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed in Portland for six nights and ate at a lot of great places. Beast was our favorite dining experience. We made reservations for the second seating on a Thursday night, which was much less crowded than the first seating. Everything was delicious and it was fun watching everything being plated in the same room. You could see the care and pride in each dish. I think $75 for a six-course meal is a bargain. Stop in at Yakuza next door before dinner for a drink.
For more information about the other restaurants we ate at on our trip, feel free to visit my blog at http://katherinebelarmino.blogspot.com/2013/06/portlands-10-best-restaurants.html

1  Thank KatherineBelarmino