“Culinary experience”
Review of Beast

Beast
Reserve with OpenTable
Beast is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #155 of 4,272 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: French, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Killingsworth
Transit: NE Portland br>Just off the corner of NE 30th Ave & Killingsworth St.
Portland, Oregon
“Culinary experience”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This a fantastic experience and be ready to be dazzled. The food presentation is stunning as well as unexpected. The wine pairings work well but I found I was wanting for slightly larger pours. I think I would prefer to just order a bottle that would work well with the set menu. The atmosphere is family style which could be off putting but it really isn't. It's Portland! It is rich and complex food so do beware - if you are not used to this type of menu then the cost may not be appealing. We celebrated a birthday there and had a fun evening - especially by taking the late seating we didn't feel like we had to leave early to make room for another seating.

San Diego, California
“Favorite Portland Dining Experience”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed in Portland for six nights and ate at a lot of great places. Beast was our favorite dining experience. We made reservations for the second seating on a Thursday night, which was much less crowded than the first seating. Everything was delicious and it was fun watching everything being plated in the same room. You could see the care and pride in each dish. I think $75 for a six-course meal is a bargain. Stop in at Yakuza next door before dinner for a drink.
For more information about the other restaurants we ate at on our trip, feel free to visit my blog at http://katherinebelarmino.blogspot.com/2013/06/portlands-10-best-restaurants.html

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank KatherineBelarmino
Oregon
“Brunch was just OK”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Maybe there is a difference between brunch and dinner but we went to brunch in May and it was just OK. The food was good but nothing special. The service was fine. The venue is a little noisy but that is to be expected. The facility is cute. But the brunch just didn't make it. The progression did not fit and there was an odd combination of lighter fare and then heavy. The dessert was very heavy. I am glad I went once but probably won't repeat.

• Visited May 2013
NJ
“Loved it!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I started off my visit to Portland by going to Sunday brunch at Beast. I loved the experience of watching the dishes being prepared and plated in front of me. The meal was delicious and beautifully plated. We had a meal similar to the March photos pictured. Only we had s strawberry soufflé with cream and a bacon garnish, then the pork belly and veggie omelet, then the cheese and greens plate, then the chocolate stout cake. I was very happy with this menu because even my husband loved the dishes, and he can be quite fussy. I found the staff to be pleasant and helpful.

Vancouver, Canada
“Great Dining Experience”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Go for the food and dining experience. It's all about the food, and the food is great.

First the basics:
Decor and atmosphere is funky. It suits the neighbourhood and probably the mood the chef is trying to achieve, but somehow doesn't quite click with not-inexpensive, fussy food. Seating is at two large, communal tables. That was great for making new friends and chatting about food. Not so good if you're going for a first date!

The kitchen is open. That comes with good and bad. You get to see how much butter and salt is going into the meal. You also get to watch the dishwasher cleaning dishes all night.

Service was excellent. Given that everyone is seated and served together there is not a lot of time to give personalized service. Having said that, the servers were very knowledgable about the food and attentive to any extra requests we had.

Now to the only reason to go -- the food. Menus change every week and are entirely chosen by the chef so I won't go into length about each dish.

Every course was a unique experience. Most were based on familiar dishes but with imaginative twists using fresh, local ingredients. Some were phenomenal, a couple deserved marks for effort but didn't quite hit the mark. Even the ones that didn't quite make it were still delicious and interesting.

We went with the wine pairing (as did most everyone in the room). At $35 the wine pairing was a good value. They tended to less common wines (eg two courses were paired with Corsican wines). All were good but I never found any of them being particularly magical with the corresponding course.

1 Thank GVancouver