“good place for what you pay!”

Econo Lodge Expo Center
Ranked #130 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here two nights, the room was clean and the bed comfy. They have a fridge and microwave. Their is fast food close by and the only bad thing was being cat called at but you get what you pay for and I was truly satisfied. The 2nd night we couldn't pay until midnight because of a mishap with our card and were stranded in Portland until it was going to be resolved and the manager Shelby was very kind and let us check in and pay later. I was very satisfied with my stay. Newly painted rooms, flat screen TV. Only downside is flaky internet but overall for what you pay for I enjoyed it!

Room Tip: Pick a non smoking room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Britney P
warden1, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thank you for your feed back, As we are working on improvements to insure every guest has a pleasant stay with us. Once again thak you

There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Expo Center

Reviewed February 10, 2013

The bed was terrible- hard as a rock. I had no idea they made beds this hard. Room was tiny, window was left open w/ no heat on so it was freezing when we walked in. 2 out of 3 lamps were not plugged in with no outlet nearby TO plug them into. Front desk person was exceedingly rude when I told him the internet wasn't working- tried for 30 minutes before it finally worked again. Sink was also clogged when we got here, so they plunged it with a toilet plunger... Don't stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Purpleswimma
Reviewed January 27, 2013

No Internet, hard beds, constant noise and traffic. Lamps with no wall plugs, too much furniture for the spaces, and, yes, not enough parking! I would also not recognize it based on these pictures. Nothing good to say. And, why a minimum number of 200 characters?

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Ces032
Reviewed October 30, 2012

It was scary! We had to ask to switch rooms due to blood splatters on
the walls, and cigarette fumes and burns all over the whole room. The
beds were so old, and bowed in the middle (in both rooms). The second
room we went into the floor was so soft, I believe if we would of
jumped we would of fell through the floor. Along with broken windows,
people smoking pot outside, having men cat call at me, they DO NOT
have continental breakfast, they have complementary coffee and pre-
packaged muffins, with NO WHERE to sit and eat. The bathrooms are
infested with black mold (in both rooms), and the dry wall is cracked.
The ceiling dry wall is cracked, bowed, and pealing. The walls, and
doors were covered in stains, blood, and food. The lamp shades were
stained. To top it off, we had MAYBE 2 hours of sleep, due to constant
yelling, someone fell upstairs at least 10 times ( I assume these were
the people fighting?), someone in another room started playing
extremely loud music from midnight to 4am- the same song over and
over!, street racers revving their engines all night/ with people
honking at them (this happened at least 5 times through out the
night), train horns woke us up about 3 times. This building must have
NO insulation to hear such noise. I HONESTLY believe this building
should be condemned or needs hundreds of thousands to be fixed. I
truly believe the maids in this hotel, DO NOT CLEAN! The list can go
on about how much this place misrepresented itself. The pictures of this place are OLD or not the same rooms as we stayed in. After one awful
night, we had to put our hands up and say no more. We left and got
another hotel, I would not even rate this hotel as half a star. I am
not a picky person and have staid at many low star hotels that are
MUCH BETTER than this.

Room Tip: We switched rooms twice.... We should of just left but, they said they would not refund our money so...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank ericswifeysarah
warden1, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

I guess saying we're sorry doesn't quite cut it. We dropped the ball. This guest has every right to be mad,unhappy guest's is never a good and no amount of apologies will erase their bad experience. However we'd still like to extend our sincere apologies to this guest.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Do NOT STAY HERE!!! THIS PLACE IS INFESTED WITH BED BUGS. I had to leave and get a different hotel because I pulled off the comforter after seeing one crawling and there were SIX just in my bed. I called the front desk and the guy said that he NEVER has reports like this and doesn't know how his manager handles it. He said I would have to wait to speak to the manager in the morning. Now I have to go pay for another hotel room!! Also, this place is in the middle of the 'hood, nothing but crackheads hanging out here.
BEWARE.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Brandy Y
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This Econo Lodge is not only in a HORRIBLE part of Portland but the building is terribly run down. My boyfriend and I booked a room here sight unseen and reviews unread. We were desperate as every hotel we found had no vacancy. We arrived here late at night to witness that there was a room there where someone was obviously selling drugs. People kept emerging with back packs and looking extremely suspicious. There is an "exotica" strip club across the street. We checked in thinking we needed to suck it up because we thought it was too late to get out money back. We were assigned room 119. We approached our room which was situated back in a corner on the ground floor. The door was open. We made sure no one was in the room and went inside. The road noise was terrible but what was worse was the rooms condition. The floor was completely uneven, the base boards and paint were scratched up and worn down every where there were stains on the walls and ripped wall paper, the grout in the bathroom was black, is smelled very strongly of urine and ammonia, and the the people above us were screaming and walking around non-stop and as they walked the ceiling was moving! needless to say we pack our stuff back in the car, went into the office and explained very calmly to the woman how we felt about the condition of the room. We understood everything was out of her control as far as the condition of the neighborhood and room and just said flat out we did not feel comfortable staying there. I was under the impression she was used to hearing this because she did not argue with us she just apologized sincerely and refunded our money in full. All in all the customer service was perfectly fine, everything else is a disaster!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't book here!!!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ColeyC_519
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Beware of this place! Initially, the people were nice enough, I did not mind the noise or the "bad" neighborhood (I used to live in this neighborhood and I know it's very working class, not really "bad.") The room itself was not anywhere near as clean as I would have preferred, and I am not what you'd call picky or fastidious. The bathroom really needed better cleaning, found hair in the tub and the shower curtain was mildewy. Still, it wasn't so bad that I wouldn't have expected it, for a fairly cheap motel. The breakfast was one of the lousiest I've ever had, and I travel on the cheap a lot. But the corker--found a little brown bug in my room, did not know what it was until I came home a few days later and found another such bug. Had never seen anything like it before in my life, I managed to kill it and identify it...yeah, it was a bedbug. I'm now rather frantically cleaning and laundering every single thing in my house. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family