“Very Nice and Great Value”

Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #30 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Stayed three nights. A little hard to find without GPS - We called hotel desk when we got close. Nice room; great help at front desk. Got Senior rate. Used their free van ride to go to town and pickup for return - very nice. Alsorode the free trolley to tow;n stop is two blocks from hotel -safe neighbor hood. The Courtyard restaurant looked nice but we are hooked on Denny's for breakfast - two short blocks away. McD and Walgreens are two blocks the other way.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 14, 2009

This Courtyard is older (varnish on room furniture was peeling) but well-maintained with a friendly staff. My room had a bit of a view, and was very quiet. The bed was comfortable and TV fine, although not flat-screen. As others noted, the AC is really cold. Free internet is very slow, but works. Parking is $12 a day, a reasonable amount. I had a nice breakfast one morning. There is a decent fitness room and small pool. I had recently stayed at the new Courtyard City Center, which is very stylish. This property is not chic, but will provide guests with a cmfortable place t retun after a day in beautiful Portland.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2009

I recently visited Portland Oregon and had not been there in some time; I stayed with a colleague from Boston University as we were hosting a Summer Send Off Reception party for all new students coming to BU this fall at the downtown Portland Athletic Club; the new hotel was superb, great amenities, outstanding service and everything is brand new; I would def return to Portland and stay at the Courtyard Marriott downtown; The place is amazing and the rooms are absolutely beautiful.
Daryl DeLuca

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2009

The hotel staff was friendly and the hotel was clean and modern. Interesting pictures in the hallways and in each room. I would stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2009

Stayed here twice, 1st time en route to Oregon coast and second time a week later on 4th July. Good sized room - decor quite plain and could do with updating, but bed and pillows very comfy. Very clean with large bathroom.

Very helpful staff and the breakfast waiters were excellent both times. The buffet was the best we had the whole holiday. Good base for Portland, but a long way from restaurants and the river front. We used local transport, which was interesting. Some strange people around on the trams! We were there 2nd time on 4th July and the fireworks down at the river were fantastic. Had a struggle to get back to the hotel as there were so many people trying to get on the trams.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2009

I used to stay in this hotel regularly for business a few years ago, and found it nice, especially the breakfast buffet which was better than most hotels (and reasonably priced). I even rented conference space from them once.

I found myself back there again, this week, and it looked exactly the same as I remembered it - except a lot older.

First, my check in was almost rudely efficient. I think the check in agent spoke a grand total of 10 words to me. No greetings, no "have a nice stay" or "can I offer you any directions?" Nothing. Didn't Marriott used to be the best at offering consisently great service? Not anymore apparently.

My room on the 5th floor was adequate. Nothing more. King sized bed with a mattress nearing the end of its lifespan, old school tube TV (I know they've only been **completely** obsolete for about five years), furniture and color schemes at the end of their functional lives, an air conditioning unit that seemed to know only two temperatures: freezing cold or hot (controls not working correctly)... No WIFI in the rooms. What hotel doesn't have WIFI in the rooms these days? Many gadgets are WIFI compatible ONLY (no ethernet plugin!).

So, I found myself stuck in the lobby when using their sluggishly slow WIFI connection available ONLY in the lobby.

My frequent trips down to to lobby caused me to notice dirty floors in the elevators and some hallways with no sign of any vacuuming - something I would have never observed at this or any other Marriott affiliated property a few years ago.

After a disappointing check in and evening, I looked forward to experiencing the morning buffet. My spouse and I once liked it so much we would eat there even when NOT staying at the hotel (but visiting Portland) on occasion.

Unfortunately, times have changed. There was no hostess, just a rather gruff woman who said "you can sit anywhere you want" after me and a few other guests found ourself waiting. I found a table and waited about ten minutes for someone to ask if I wanted anything to drink. The restaurant seemed decently staffed and only half full, yet I overheard one waitress discuss how "overwhelmed" they were with the crowd, and apologizing for long waits for food to other guests. I got bored waiting and eventually wandered over to the buffet only to watch a guest cough all over the belgian waffle maker, batter, and syrup (which I had planned to use) in front of a staff member. Realizing that the staff member had no plans to do anything (and there are no sneeze guards), I'd had enough and informed a staff member I planned to dine elsewhere.

Lately I've been staying exclusively at Starwood hotels and despite their faults, I find them generally far superior to this wreck of what was once a pretty nice place. I visit Portland every six weeks for business, will avoid this property from now on - or at least it until it gets a major overhaul.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2009

We stayed here for Valentine's Day weekend. The king room we had was very nice with a great view of downtown Portland. We walked to Lloyd Center, which boasts itself as Oregon's largest mall, the Rose Garden complex which is where the Blazers NBA and the Winterhawks (hockey) play, and the Convention center. There are quite a few restaurants close by. The metro light rail is very close to the hotel which is free in downtown portland. There is a resturant in the hotel and we got the rate with the breakfast included. The only thing that I didn't like was that the elevators kept having problems and the stairs were for emergency only.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple