“Great location, Great staff” 5 of 5 stars

Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #18 of 137 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great location, Great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I travel to Portland at least monthly and when I do, I make sure to stay here due to the staff and location. More so for the staff because when you're on the road this much, it's nice to build friendships. The hotel itself meets my every need, it has a gym, a nice restaurant/bar, comfortable beds, clean rooms, and parking. The restaurant has good to great food and it makes a long day at work when jet lagged from east coast time very easy to unwind from. I've never had a complaint about a room or noise since I've been staying here and I've stayed here over 90 nights now the past two years. If that doesn't say something, I'm not sure what does.

When you're in an airplane for 6 hours and living out of your suitcase for weeks on end, it really does come down to how welcome you're made to feel by the staff. In that regard, I'd like to say Marcie, Karuna and Amber help make each stay that much better. Thank you, guys and I look forward to next time.

Room Tip: upper floor by the corners.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
      Location
4 Thank DavidDaveWorkout
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear DavidDaveWorkout,

Thank you so much for your continued loyalty! We love having you as a guest of ours. I am happy to hear that you have had a great night’s sleep and fantastic service from Marci, Karun and Amber during the past two years that you have been staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you “home” during your next stay!

503-382-3144

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I had an enjoyable time staying at this location. Accessible to the Max Line for $2.50 off the baggage claim from PDX with only 3 blocks passing Burgerville for a quick bite. Check in was simple and headed for an I.P.A. at the bar. Awesome. My room had what I needed for a short weekend stay: T.V., coffee maker, fridge/ Ice maker, Black out curtains = nice. Although my first night, the sheets had a scent of former tenants, I reported this and the next day my sheets smelled as of they just got out the laundry. Angela at the front made sure of this and even comped me dinner...super cool! The staff is top notch. This is where this establishment really shines. Here is the list of their superstars and their contributions;
1)Phone calls to front desk before my arrival and spoke with Edward & Brittany. Complete aces to an last minute travel emergency
2) Chris ( head bartender) personable, kind professional and out going. This individual had a familiar spirit that made me feel at home.
3) Caruna (sp?) Amber & Magdelena- complete sweet hearts with a kind smile, customer first attitude and moreover genuine with a sense of humour that matches wits with the best of them. Oh and easy on the eyes :-) sorry Chris, well your a dashing dude, I suppose lols.
4) The folks at the valet...don't know the names but greeted everyone.

All this made me feel at home and resonates with me when I reminisce of my first visit to Portland. I fell in love. Note to Managment: If you can invest in sound proofing the windows facing Wendy's I would give that deserved star. My only issue with this location is if you have a room facing the Wendy's anticipate that you will hear garbage trucks, sirens, cars, traffic, noise, that can disturb needed rest. This was my top concern otherwise hats off to the crew for their commitment to excellence.

Cheers!
-Warren P.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing Wendy's if you want more of an undisturbed experience from the traffic.
Green Features: There is a sign that states placing your towels on the rack signifies you don't needed it washed and place it anywhere else for us to clean it to save energy. Not sure if this has been in place universaly in hotels but thought it was smart.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Warren P
Dear Warren P,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so thrilled to hear that my staff played a role in you falling in love with Portland! It truly is an amazing city and there is so much to do and see but what really separates from the rest is our friendly people. During your next trip I would like to offer my personal assistance with finding you a room in another area of the hotel that will better suit your needs. I hope we see you soon.

Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Modern, attractive lobby with friendly, helpful staff.

Room 640: clean, quiet suite (end of the hall), comfy, with modern decor and incredibly comfortable pillow top king bed, divided living / bedroom areas, full kitchen, work area, two flat screen TVs (one in each room), deck / patio.

Located a couple of blocks from the MAX, so getting downtown is no trouble at all.

Option to self park saves you money, although there's valet too.

But most importantly: best customer service I've ever experienced in the hotel industry. This place cares about its guests and will go above and beyond to ensure that you have a good stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Location
1 Thank yellabella
Dear yellabella,

Thank you for your fantastic review of my hotel. I greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community and I am happy to hear that you found my hotel to be modern with an attractive lobby and friendly helpful staff. I sincerely hope that you will return to Portland and stay with us sometime soon.

Sacramento, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

This was a very nice hotel, reasonably priced but for the $21 daily parking charge. We were on an auto trip and I should have noticed this when making reservations, but I didn't. The hotel itself was very comfortable and service was great. Unfortunately we arrived too late and departed too early to enjoy the amenities. The room was spacious and quiet, and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GraniteBayTravelers
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear GraniteBayDivers,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent experience in my hotel. I am thrilled to hear that you found my hotel to be very nice and comfortable with great service. We do charge $24 for valet parking at our location. We feel that we are a great value compared to other hotels in the city center that charge typically between $30 to nearly $40 per night for the same service that we provide. I am sure you will find that we are a fantastic value and I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 night. Clean, reasonable price. Excellent location. Standard rooms. My only issue was the HVAC. It was either on or off. There was no way to regulate the temperature. And it was loud! Kept waking up to turn it off when I got cold and then back on when I got too hot!

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Japruzze
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Japruzze,

Thank you for your review. You will be happy to hear that we are currently installing wireless digital thermostats in our rooms that will allow you to control the fan speed and set the unit to leave the fan running all of the time. I strongly feel that this investment we are making will greatly improve the heating/cooling of the room and provide a much better night’s sleep. Please let me know when you are returning and I will make sure your room has one of these new thermostats installed prior to your arrival.

Nashua, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

This hotel is nicely updated. It offers great rooms and a wonderful restaurant / bar area with outside patio seating. The staff was wonderful and allowed us to check in early on our arrival from the airport. The only downside is the location to the downtown area, walking is doable but questionable at night. The city transit is very close though, so if you have time to figure out the system, the downtown is nearby. We used a rental car and the hotel offers self (and valet) parking with easy in and out (garage is under hotel).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Cleanliness
Dear Ldc6,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and especially Charley’s on Grand Restaurant and Bar’s patio area with fire pit. During your next visit, please consider using our complimentary shuttle service to the city center. I hope that you will come back and stay with us sometime soon.

Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Very pleasant one night stay at this Marriot. Clean and quiet room. Excellent breakfast buffet service & food. Central location, convenient for car-less travelers. I'll choose this hotel again for future visits.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ANgueuil
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear ANgeuil,

Thank you for your recent stay and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I am happy to hear that you had a very pleasant stay and enjoyed our award-winning breakfast buffet. Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon.