Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #27 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We had an excellent experience! The hotel is located in a great spot with lots to do. The property was clean and the modern decor was a nice touch. Rooms are wonderful. Also had a great experience at Charley's. The bartender/food server might have been the best part of the entire trip. The food and drink recommendations were outstanding (four for four) and Marci might need to be nominated for employee of the month. That girl is priceless! I would certainly stay here again and would recommend it to my closest friends!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Dear Michael951x,

Wow, it sounds like you had a fantastic stay in my hotel! Thank you for mentioning how wonderful Marci is; we will certainly take your recommendation for employee of the month into consideration. Please come back and stay with us sometime soon.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

From Sergio in the restaurant (who spoilt our shy little girl with little treats) to the valets, front desk staff, cleaners and everyone in between, we were always greeted with warm smiles and hellos, and always offered assistance or a tip about where to go and what to see. (The large room was also a great feature, though it's your staff that stood out for us.)

I travel a lot for business, and I stay in many hotels. I haven't experienced this sort of genuine care, consideration and customer service in an embarrassingly long time.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone - business travelers, families, couples...it's clean, quiet and ever-so friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank JacquelineSC14
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear JacquelineSC14,

Wow, it sounds like my staff made quite the positive impression on you! Thank you so much for contacting Marriott Customer Care to share your experience and for sharing this on TripAdvisor. My staff and I are flattered by your comments and we all hope that you return and stay with us sometime soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

I stayed here during a snowstorm that hit Portland in February. I had come in on the Amtrak and was told by the hotel there was no shuttle to pick me up at the station due to the storm. The streets were covered in ice. I barely knew Portland at all and because of the helpful staff, was able to avoid being stranded overnight at the Amtrak station. They gave me directions to the hotel as I was on the train. The train got in very late and I was on the phone with the staff as soon as I was in Portland. They guided to the hotel as I was on my cell phone taking the light rail across the bridge. I made it to the hotel safe and sound. Had a great night's sleep and made it back to California safe and sound a day later on the Amtrak. I highly recommend this hotel and the staff is the best. Nice rooms, great views of the city.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Dear Rebecca S,

What a great review! I am happy to hear that you made it to the hotel safely during our snow storm this past February. It sounds like my staff did a great job proving you with top notch service and you had a great night’s sleep. Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for the first time on my recent trip to Portland. I was pleased by the staffs ability to offer great service during the rose festival parade. There was no lapse in customer service and visibility of management. They accommodated my family on short notice and were happy to do so. As a Grammy awarded music executive I have high expectations where I stay due to security concerns and as well just overall service. This hotel is no doubt a winner in my book.

CJ
Rocket Multimedia

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Corey J,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience. I am thrilled to hear that you had a great experience. Congratulations on your Grammy winning success!

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I was recently attending a conference in Portland and stayed here. I did not know anyone attending the conference, so it felt a little lonely. Heading back to the hotel each night felt like heading home. The staff was so warm and welcoming. As I would leave, the front desk staff would call out to have a good day, the housekeeping staff would leave little notes, and the restaurant staff went out of their way to ensure I felt seen, and took such good care of me. Of the restaurant staff I must mention: Chris who took time to chat and tell me what sights to see, Magdalena who was so sweet and attentive, Island who made me feel like dealing with my food allergies was no trouble at all and finally Sergio who went over and above when he saw me pouring over a map and came to tell me how to find what I was looking for, then he disappeared and came back with printed directions so I would not get lost!
The hotel itself was very clean, the food in the restaurant fantastic, the pool perfectly adequate and the bed was so comfortable. I was very pleased with the whole hotel and would certainly recommend it. My only criticism would be that my fridge in my room froze all the food I bought, but I think that is a common issue, and I did not complain since all else was so marvelous.

Room Tip: The room with one bed had room for a couch and desk and felt very spacious. The sound proofing was...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Agamemnon T,

I am so happy to hear that you had a fantastic stay in my hotel and that you found my staff to be so warm and friendly. I greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. Chris, Magdalena, Island and Sergio and truly exceptional associates. They take great pride in their work and it clearly shows. Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

The front desk staff and just about everyone we dealt with (we didnt have a car, but just seeing the valets over several days, we got to chat with them as well) was super gracious.
Yes, Edward at the front desk could not have been better. The valets would offer us cold water when we saw them... little things like that.
The hotel is really perfect, very reasonably priced, has most amenities, and for us, the best part is that was 2 blocks from the light rail. We used that constantly and didnt feel it to be an ordeal to go back and forth downtown (as well as to and from the airport).
The room was very nice, and we actually had a room that overlooked the courtyard so whatever noise was not noticed. There is coffee in the lobby in the mornings (in addition to the in room ) and the room had a mini (very mini) fridge which was more than enough.
All in all, it was very good. The only con about this is the location. It's not bad, but there really isnt much around in terms of walk to restaurant/cafes. There is a Burgerville (really good local fast food) and Denny's and Red Robin within a block or two but not much else. We planned accordingly, so it was fine. I would highly recommend this hotel over all.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear salonvacation,

Thank you for your five star review! I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience in my hotel and that Edward made such a positive impression on you-he really is a fantastic member of our team. Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

From Edward on the front desk, Matthew on front door, the hilarious Island at Charley's restaurant, Marisela the cleaner and the gentlemen from room service who name escapes me - The Marriott saved my stay.

After Air Canada treated me poorly and lost my luggage (2 x 30kgs bags of gifts and possessions) on the last leg of my trip from Australia, I thought my journey was ruined.

I had a terrible first night's sleep due to stress and Edward changed my booking to a quieter room and not only that, he left a handwritten card and food/drink bag with breakfast vouchers saying he hoped my stay improved. From that moment, it did.

I was fed, slept and when my luggage was eventually delivered back to the hotel, they dropped it into my room so I could actually make the most of my few days in Portland.

I cannot thank the Marriott enough for changing the path of my holiday experience and for going above and beyond with their service.

If I had any money left after having to rebuy my luggage I would've tipped them to the high moon. This will need to suffice!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank SteensLaytron

Dear Christine L,

What a great review! Thank you so much for sharing your experience and for taking the time to express your gratitude on TripAdvisor. I am so sorry to hear that you had a traumatic experience during your trip to Portland but I am thrilled to hear that my staff did a fantastic job of making the best of a stressful situation. Edward, Matthew, Maricela and Island are amazing associates. They truly care about our guests and they will all receive accolades for this wonderful review. I hope that your travels will bring you back to the Portland area soon and that you will be a guest of ours.