“Superb customer service here.”

Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #30 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This Marriott on Wasco has become my "go to" place when I visit Portland since it's near my family's homes.. My recent stay was an example of some of the best customer service I've ever experienced. I called to confirm my favorite side of the building over the parking area which is quiet, but there was a mix-up. Kelly at the front desk and the Manager on duty really made my day when they fixed the room situation, so it was near where I requested, as well as providing me little gifts that just lifted my spirits, making my two days there really homey and comfortable. The hotel also has a nice lounge, the restaurant's food is good, there is a daily happy hour, and the facilities were recently updated. Other hotels can learn from the customer service I received, it was first class.

Room Tip: I like the upper floor over the parking area which helps mitigate the noise from two very busy stree...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear CountryCousin108,

Thank you for your five star review! I am happy to hear that Kelly and my team delivered “Superb customer service”. I hope you return as a guest of ours sometime soon.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have stayed in Portland many times on business, and this is my first time at this hotel. This is the best staff I have ever experienced in my travels to Portland. I was able to bring my wife and son on this trip and the staff took such great care of my family, I had no worries while I was working. They really went out of their way to make this trip memorable... and they did. All of my return trips to Portland, I will be staying with the Courtyard at the Convention Center. A special thanks to all the staff that made this trip so wonderful... Kelly, Megan, Susan, Magnalena, Corena, Amber and Chris... You guys ROCK!

Room Tip: Would have liked to have upgraded to a mini suite but they were booked because of a convention. Wil...

Dear Jerry T,

I greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I am thrilled to hear that my staff was the best you have experienced in Portland, I couldn’t agree more! I will congratulate Kelly, Megan, Susan, Magdalena, Karuna, Amber and Chris on a job well done.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Lobby, Front Desk and Staff - Excellent. Very friendly helpful staff and an amazing SmartWall digital information display for questions about the local area and transit.
Parking - Excellent, secure underground.
Elevators - Ok
Hotel in general (appearance, cleanliness, lounge, etc) - Excellent, well appointed and decorated, clean, trendy. Cool sports lounge in the hotel.
Hotel location - Excellent location, close to many shops, huge mall, and restaurants.
Room - first impressions - Ok.
Bed - I found it ok, wife found it uncomfortable.
Bathroom - Ok.
View - Horrible again, yet another view of a power station! What are the chances! At least there was a nice tree blocking most of it.
Extras - Did not eat breakfast there.
Value - Excellent value for the money
Would Stay Again? - For shopping I think next time we will try downtown, which was sold out this time.

Room Tip: Ask for one not facing the power station
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mr_Jones2,

Thank you for the wonderful review of my hotel. I am happy to hear that you had a great experience. We would like to provide you accommodations during your next trip with a view of Portland. Please let me know when you intend to return and I will be happy to personally assist with this request.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Excellent customer service, clean rooms and comfortable beds. Makes a trip to Portland a special treat. Just a few blocks from Max, I was able to get around the city without having to worry about parking.

Dear oregonleslie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in my hotel. I am thrilled to hear that we provided “excellent service, clean rooms and comfortable beds”. I hope you return soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I recently spent three nights in this hotel (Tuesday-Thursday).

They were renovating the lobby floor while we were there so we had a somewhat circuitous route from the entry but they handled it well and with good humor and so everyone else did as well.

The breakfast buffet is excellent and the staff is on top of things to the point of almost being overattentive! Our beverages were literally never empty for more than 30 seconds.

The breakfast chef was friendly and in fact offered up a list of places that met my colleague's desire for cool places to eat in the city. Above and beyond the call.

The room was nicely appointed and contained a couch, coffee table and desk setup. The bathroom was pretty much standard to what you would expect in any Marriott property.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, the little "store" was well stocked and the Dr. Pepper was cold...all I could ask for :)

We really did not have a downside to speak of, unless you want to eat close to the hotel and do not like chain restaurants. If you do like chain restaurants this location is going to hit your sweet spot.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear SeamusRMcSeamus,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I greatly appreciate your patience and understanding during our lobby floor refinishing project…the end result looks amazing! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant during breakfast. My team has achieved great results in this area this year. Currently we have one of the highest rated breakfasts in the Courtyard chain of hotels. Please come back and stay with us soon. We’ll have an ice cold Dr. Pepper waiting for you.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The location was centrally located, staff accommodating, friendly & courteous. Due to some repair work @ the main lobby, parking was provided by a valet service which was handled properly & we did not encounter any complications. The reservation was made through "Portland Perks" which worked out perfectly for us, since included breakfast & free parking for our entire stay!
Kudos to the staff & the management.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear 1959Annette,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you found my staff to be accommodating, friendly and courteous. I greatly appreciate your business and I hope you return sometime soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel was great - very clean, with helpful and friendly staff. Location was interesting...... restaurant options were limited, but the hotel itself was great. So grateful for the amazing air conditioner - since Portland was experiencing a heatwave while we were there.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Julie B,

Thank you for your five star review! I greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. Please come back and stay with us sometime soon.