“Fantastic customer service. Keep up the good work!”

Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #30 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I agree with previous reviews about customer service. Everyone we talked to was lovely and helpful, esp Joel. As we were on our honeymoon, the upgraded us to a suite! And it was just so lovely - huge rooms with a kitchenette. They also left us a card, a bottle of wine, and picnic snacks for us in the room. Much appreciated. Will definitely stay here again when we return to portland.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 7, 2013

From the time I stepped on the property, I was welcomed with good morning and how can I help you! This hotel has customer service down and I really appreciated the smiles, hello’s and the genuine caring.

Though everyone was great there were 2 people that stood out, Mari (front desk) and Island (waitress).

Mari –

The minute I walked in the door, Mari’s smile shinned brighter than Portland’s sun. Though my room wasn’t ready because we arrived around 10:30 PST, Mari let us store our luggage inside the hotel and let me park my rental in the garage. Through my stay, Mari was always there with her warm smile and she allowed me to park in the garage at no charge after I had checked out on Sunday since my flight wasn’t until later that day.

Island –

I have no idea what this lady makes but it is not enough. When my son and I were waiting for our room on Wednesday, Island came over to check on us to see if we were ok. I had mentioned that we were waiting for early check-in but everything was good. Island went out of her way to check with the front desk on how long it would be and when she came back to report that it would another 30 minutes, Island gave us 3 coupons for $11.00 of for anything in the restaurant, a savings of $33.00. The next morning we decided to have breakfast and guess who the server was, Island! She took exceptional good care of us and though our bill for that morning was $14.00, she took one of our $11.00 coupons and said everything was even. When we were leaving she offered to get me a cup of coffee to go, what a servant!

The Courtyard in Portland is a hotel that understands the customer’s needs and does everything with a smile, everyone was wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Customer service was outstanding. The staff went out of their way to make our stay pleasant and memorable. Especially I like to thank the restaurant staff "Aly" for a wonderful service, Island, and Chris. The hotel was very close to the convention center and had readily access to the city train.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Very Nice Hotel. Excellent! Staff , Maricela and Chris at desk front were extremely efficient and friendly . We are not English proficients and the Spanish speaking personnel was very helpful. The Hotel rooms are clean. The checking day the shuttle was not available and Chris arrange a Taxi for us cost free. That is service. Definitive, we will recommend this Hotel

Room Tip: Early checking!!!
Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here a couple of weekends ago the night before we ran a half marathon in Portland. The front manager Calla was so nice! She was very pleasant at check-in. We asked if we could be in a room close to our family and she was more than willing to do that. She also had a little bag of water, snacks and a hand written card for us wishing us good luck in the race. I was never expecting anything like that from a chain hotel in a big city. The room was clean and comfy, we did not have any problems with noise, etc.. We would definitely stay here again!!

The price is not bad and we were able to walk easily across the bridge into town for dinner.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Excellent happy hour on the patio with delightful wait staff. Chris, our bartender, was a warm and wonderful young man. We really enjoyed getting to know him. Chris at the front desk gave us wonderful dinner suggestions that were within walking distance of the hotel. Island, our waitress in Charley's restaurant, was so attentive and one of the most personable waitresses we've ever had. The breakfast buffet was quite good, offering an extensive selection of items ranging from various pastries, cereals, fresh fruits, scrambled eggs, chicken apple sausage, bacon, oatmeal, yogurts, and an omelet station. Our room was quite comfortable. Location was great for using the public transportation system. There's a great shopping mall within a couple of blocks. The hotel was nice but it was definitely the people that made our stay a memorable experience!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel was nice and we enjoyed our stay. There are many eating options within walking distance. It was an easy walk to the convention center. The beds were comfortable and the room was well lit. It was raining when we were going to the convention center and they had umbrellas for us to use which was very nice.

The first clerk that we spoke with was rude, but all of the rest were very nice. The parking lot was very small and especially crowded the first night.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Peter K, Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear shell345,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the majority of the staff to be very nice. I am sorry to hear that you found one member of the staff to be rude. I have sent you a private message in regards to this and I hope to hear back from you soon. Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center and I hope that we see you again soon.

Warm regards,