“Great stay!”

Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #24 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had a two night stay with our LivingSocial coupon. The room was spacious and clean with all the amenities. The Lounge was inviting with good prices for happy hour. We enjoyed a glass of wine on the patio. Charley's restaurant served great food and was very convenient for us. The best part about this hotel is the friendly and helpful staff. Each one had a smile on their face and were willing to offer any help. We took advantage of the free shuttle to get into downtown Portland, an excellent service! Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center

Reviewed April 4, 2013

It was our first ever vacation for the kids and I. We wanted to go to a place that appealed to everyone. This hotel was not one I had considered initially because of the price point, but about a month before we were to leave, I went on TripAdvisor and was able to find this hotel for a very decent 112/night.
I was nervous and anxious that something would go wrong and so I called the hotel a few times before we left to ask questions and was pleasantly surprised to learn that they offered complimentary shuttle service and would be available to pick my kids and I up from the train station in Portland so we would not need to quickly figure out the MAX system right off the bat after an early morning departure from Seattle.
Checking in was so easy and quick. The front desk staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. When we got to our room on the 5th floor, it was beautifully cleaned and smelled great. The bathroom was immaculate and the view from our two queen-bed abode had a mixed view of the immediate city streets below and a great view of the downtown Portland skyline. The beds were comfortable with two pillows for each of us; the kids were happy about that (I was too :-))!
After checking in and unpacking a bit, we wanted to explore a bit of Portland within walking distance of the hotel. Emily, a front desk staff member, was absolutely incredible. She answered every question I had and gave great directions to the Lloyd Center Mall. She would also cement in my heart and the hearts of my children, the best example of taking care of the customer I have ever experienced.
The next morning, I got a map from the front desk that detailed the MAX rail system in a very user friendly format with clear pictures and icons that were easy to read and understand. Emily assured me that the complimentary shuttle would get us to Powell's bookstore (our main destination for the day) but I wanted our vacation to be an adventure and so with her help and the help of the valet we figured out where to go to get a MAX 1-day pass (so convenient, the kiosks are located at the actual rail stop stations; they take cash,credit, or debit).
We had such a memorable day! Powell's bookstore, VooDoo Doughnuts, the Oregon Zoo (the baby elephant was the big attraction)...a long day for sure; not long enough to see all the wonderful and special attractions that make Portland a grand and special place to take a vacation but that just means we get to return sooner :-) .
After a very long, very happy day, we returned to the hotel and immediately went to let Emily know how much fun we had that day. All of the kids talking at once and then each one at a time overflowing with information about what occurred that day. My middle child, almost 12, explained that we went to VooDoo doughnuts (the "first" one; there are 3 locations) and she wanted to get a maple bacon doughnut, but in all the chaos of ordering, did not receive her doughnut in the box. I was not overly concerned because I hadn't paid for it. Emily let us know that there was a second location located on the side of the river where our hotel was and that we could book the shuttle for a trip over there the next day if we wanted to go before checking out of the hotel. She even offered the shuttle that night to get one (she says she likes the maple bacon ones from VooDoo2 better because the bacon is not burned and the doughnuts are fluffier and taste better to her) but my youngest child wanted to go swimming in the hotel's indoor pool "so badly" that I just decided to book the shuttle for an early morning trip there to get doughnuts for the trip home.
Here is where Emily ensured that we would be returning guests to this hotel for many years to come. While I was supervising the swimming children (all but the oldest child, she couldn't wait to start reading the books she bought that day at Powell's) Emily went out of her way to go to VooDoo2 and brought back 4 maple bacon doughnuts for my kids and I along with a card that said she hoped we enjoyed our stay and wished us a great trip home. They were delivered to our room by another front desk staff member much to the amazement of myself and my kids.
Emily would not be there to see us off the next day when we checked out but we will never forget her or the beautiful hotel we had the privilege to stay in while we were vacationing in Portland. Absolutely beyond any fathomable expectation; this hotel and the people who work there make it the best place to stay when in Portland.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank amandas255
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend get-away. Booked through the Travel Portland website which had a great promotional deal going and included free wifi, parking, breakfast every day, and a bunch of coupons etc. for sites and businesses around Portland. The location is very good, being just a block from the Rose Garden Arena and the Convention Centre, and a quick train ride to downtown (all within the free fare zone). The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was definitely one of the more extensive as far as hotel breakfasts go - three or four different pastries/baked items, fresh fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, cereals, bagels, bread, biscuits, eggs, sausages, bacon, waffles and an omelette station with someone cooking them to order for you. Drinks were also included with breakfast. There were a la carte options available as well for people who didn't have breakfast included in their rate (or you could pay separately for the buffet). We did not try any of the other food options available (lunch, dinner, room service). The lobby lounge looked nice, and opened to a patio outside with comfortable chairs, tables, umbrellas etc. There was lots or room out there and we were able to take our own drinks/snacks to enjoy but could also have ordered from the lounge bar. The pool is small but adequate, though no hot tub. It was also clean, which is not always the case in hotel pools. Also in the lobby were several tour/guide books for the Portland area, free for anyone to peruse while sitting there. There were free papers every day also (WSJ and one other, can't remember which). The rooms themselves were really quite spacious and the only complaints we had were a big lack of counter space at the bathroom sink (had to keep toiletries on the dresser under the tv) and the bed was not very supportive. It may be that the room that we had was due for a bed replacement as they don't last long in a hotel. We did not have trouble with noise other than hearing people talking as they walked by in the hallway a couple of time (loud talkers!) We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank aamum
Reviewed April 2, 2013

For spring break my family and I went to Portland and stayed at this hotel. While we did not stay here that long ad we were seeing all the Portland sites there was one staff member named Emily who really stood out! My mom and sister were talking about going to Voodoo Doughnuts in the morning for a bacon doughnut that they have and she said it was amazing do my mom and sister scheduled a shuttle to take them there on the morning. Sitting in the room reading some books I got at Powells while my mom, sister, and brother were at the pool, a box and a letter. The box was from Voodoo Doughnuts and contained four bacon doughnuts, one for my mom, brother, sister, and I. The letter was from Emily and said this was just a preview of what was to come tomorrow. She went to the doughnut shop and bought each of us a doughnut and was one of the reasons why we had an UNFORGETTABLE first family vacation!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Booked this through Hotels.com and got a great rate. The location is great if you want to visit Portland but don't want to pay the high prices at the downtown hotels. Most of the good neighbourhoods and restaurants are on this east side of the river anyway. If you feel the need to go downtown, there are a couple of light rail lines that will take you there cheaply and quickly. If you have a car, it's handy to all the areas on the east side. You have to pay extra for parking here which is going to add to your hotel bill. NOTE: it is possible to park on the street around the hotel for cheaper than self parking or valet in the hotel lot. If you park on the West side of Grand Ave, the parking is from 8am-10pm, BUT if you park on the East side of Grand Ave it's from 8am-6pm.
This means you can park from 6pm til 8am for free. The only catch is you will have to get up early to put money in the meter but you can load it up with about 5 hours I believe. We paid about $5/day for parking doing it this way, as compared to $18/day for self park.
The rooms are on the small side but clean and there's a small pool (no hot tub) and an exercise room. Try to stay on the top floor, on the courtyard side to minimize noise. Grand Ave is a main street and can be very noisy.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank k1w1Vancouver
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here after booking a deal through a deal site, so honestly we weren't sure what to expect. From the moment we arrived we had a very pleasant experience. It has that nice lobby feel which most up to date Courtyard by Marriott hotels have. The staff were very prompt at getting us checked in, and as the hotel seemed quiet, they gave us 2 breakfast vouchers to use for both mornings of our stay, which were complimentary - we were delighted.

The rooms are again, pretty standard Marriott hotels, but they were comfortable and we had no complaints. We had dinner one evening at the hotel, the food was yummy and the waiter was very attentive. After, we had a drink in the very lovely hotel bar.

They run a shuttle into downtown Portland which is super convenient so you don't have to drive in and find parking, and as the weather was quite wet while we were there, we really appreciated this. They even came back to pick us up after we were done.

In general, we found this hotel very accommodating, the staff very friendly, and the location is also a bonus. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Portland.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anne M
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Honestly I stayed here because I had a discount on the hotel. Plus, I've always like Marriott Hotels. I stayed here after surgery. I was having surgery in the morning and i wanted to go straight from the hospital to the hotel. I called to make sure and everything was good to go. My better half had no problems checking in early. In the room I noticed a bag on the table. In the bag was a drink, and a bunch of goodies. Chocolates and sorts. It had a card that said something about hoping for a good recovery. I thought that was so sweet of the staff. Then I went down to the restaurant for dinner. I was feeling a bit sluggish and I couldn't figure out what I wanted. The lady somehow knew I was recovering and she told me she would have the cooks make whatever I wanted. Again, so nice! Then at breakfast the server was also very nice and tried to help me along. I just couldn't believe how great the staff were being while I was feeling my worst
Ok, enough about the staff. The Hotel is what people are really wanting know about. The hotel was nice. Normal Marriott style. I love the Marriott because I feel its on the higher end of quality without being on the way high end of price like some of the other hotels downtown Portland.
The only thing that I was really bummed about was the location. When I booked it for downtown, I was really thinking downtown city lights. When I was feeling bad and out I wanted to look out and see the wonderful city and city lights. But when I looked out the window, a whole lot of nothing. SO, not a very good view, and its not really downtown like close to anything. To be fair, I was only on the 3rd floor so its not like I would see much of city lights anyways.
Bed was comfortable. Everything was great.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple