“Very kid friendly”

Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #23 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We really appreciated the staff with our 3 year old. Especially Aly, who was excellent! Our three year old thought he was fantastic! Good little pool and good buffet. Room was a good size and comfortable. We would come back

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed December 6, 2012

The hotel location is very close to the train as well as nearby restaurants.
What is amazing is the service...they provided shuttle bus to nearby area and they are always so helpful.
It was quite late at night and we wanted a hot chocolate because it's quite cold outside. The waiter in the restaurant with no question asked, went to the kitchen and gave us a cup of hot chocolate. When we asked to pay, he said not to worry...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rswiss
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed here for two nights due to a special event at the nearby Rose Quarter sporting/entertainment complex. The hotel is a decent value stay and you won't be disappointed if you know what to expect from most Courtyard by Marriot hotels.

I won the hotel stay on a third party bidding site and paid well under 45% of normal rack rate. I found myself in a decent room with a king sized bed. The room was a bit awkwardly laid out though, with the TV to the immediate side of the bed. The bed itself was comfortable enough for a two night stay. One thing that annoyed me was that the fan settings were fairly loud, even on low speed. Having said that, room temperature was pretty consistent. Washroom was decent sized, with normal size tub and toilet. The sink with a tiny counter was outside the washroom and toiletries were by Paul Mitchell. Room was quite clean.

Service was mainly good, with exceptional service in the hotel lounge. Had a quirk with parking. I had paid for self-parking $15/night) for both nights of my stay and on the second night, I found the parkade full. I had to get my car valet parked and was told there would be no additional charge for the service. The attendant was also on the ball enough to ask if I would need my car early in the morning (yes) so that he didn't have it blocked in. However, valet shuts down at 11 p.m. and I had to retrieve my keys from the front desk agent whom didn't inform me that the car wouldn't be brought to the front.

The hotel is fairly centrally located and ideal if you're there an area conference or attending something at the Rose Quarter. Having a vehicle will make things easier at night as there isn't much for amenities in an immediate walking distance. If you're looking for the funky shops and stores that are in downtown Portland, you'll find this hotel a bit further removed than you would like. Driving in downtown Portland and throughout the city was fine with a GPS and it was a better option for me since I had to go to numerous other areas not serviced by the trams.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on a Thanksgiving Weekend leisure trip with my best friend. Wasn't sure what it was going to be like since reading about the surrounding neighborhood proved a bit questionable. However - the Courtyard Marriott Portland Downtown/Convention Center proved to be a wise choice. The room itself was nothing to get excited over. To be honest, I thought the decor was fairly sparse - white walls, rollerblinds, no real intricate details. However, the pieces of artwork on the walls were very interesting - historic photos of Portland, and Oregon. The room was very clean - and the housekeeping staff did a great job of maintaining the level of cleanliness throughout our 5-night stay. The rest of the hotel also seemed very "institutional" (the elevators reminded me of the ones you find at the hospital). The lobby however was very nice and clearly had been renovated very recently. Other things I liked about this hotel was the friendliness of the staff - the bartenders at the lounge were exceptionally friendly and helpful in suggesting bars for my friends and I to go to. One front desk agent in particular was very helpful in suggesting a brunch spot for my friend and I. I don't recall her name unfortunately - but she was a younger blonde girl - very very friendly! She was very also very observant which I liked - she remembered where I had been the night before when I had just casually mentioned where I needed a cab to. The hotel was also very centrally located - the Lloyd Center was only a couple blocks away, as well as four lines of the Max Light Rail - so it was very easy to get to pretty much anywhere in Portland that you needed to go! Things I feel this hotel could improve on is the decor, and the speed of their wifi (it was painfully slow!). That all said, the bed was comfortable, the rooms clean, and the staff friendly - so I definitely wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank joecdn
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This was my first time at this location in Portland and now may become my favorite. I was upgraded to a king suite for a 2 night stay. It was wonderfully comfortable, the bed was great, fast internet connection - it was a terrific room for my business stay. The staff were terrific - very helpful and friendly. What I liked most was a real restaurant and bar, not the Bistro scene, which I cannot endure. I had a wonderful pasta dish and a glass of wine in the bar after arriving late. The breakfast the next morning was also quite nice. I am not sure about nearby restaurant availability, but I will explore on my next visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Squeaky clean. As a frequent guest of Marriott Courtyard, this is one of the best maintained hotels in the chain. Staff is super helpful. Recommendations for restaurants were spot on. Frank's noodles, within walking distance, was good enough that we went there two nights in a row.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Courtyard a few times when visiting Portland and love how convenient it is to everything downtown. You can park your car for the weekend and enjoy the MAX rail and all the other perks of having your hotel so close to everything you need. The Hotel itself is great. Service is awesome and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family