“great staff”

Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #25 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I've never written a review on line before but I really thought I should put in a good word for the staff there. they were excellent. When I first arrived , I thought the room was very 'basic' and i thought of finding another Hotel as I wanted to spoil myself a bit with something more luxurious. I realized that what the hotel lacked in Luxury, they made up for with a top notch staff. I dont recall all the names but I do recall Brandon in particular. He helped me with all kinds of things. Basic yet spacious clean rooms, and a block away from the convention centre. I would easily go back.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2012

Dear phil203,

I am pleased that you found our rooms to be clean and spacious. Brandon is well know for delivering great service and I will ensure he receives a thank you from the management team for providing you with great service. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the Tripadvisor community.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Close to shopping, the convention center, and the arena...with fantastic staff, and a great restaurant...I can't say enough good things about this hotel! Having just gone through a major renovation of their lobby/bar/restaurant and the rooms...this is my favorite place to stay in Portland! I spend lots of time in the Portland area on business and when my business is IN Portland, I stay here EVERY TIME.

Room Tip: I prefer the higher floors...2nd floor front gets some smell of cigarette smoke when the window is o...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Perriknows

Dear Perriknows,

Thank you for your loyalty...we absolutely love having you as a guest of ours! I am happy to hear that you are enjoying the newley renovated lobby, rooms, bar and restaurant. Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance and I hope to see you soon.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

Our stay was an annual one for the Oregon Dental Convention. The staff, parking, clean room and excellent food....all were fantastic. Recently remodeled rooms, lobby and restaurant all look great! Unfortunately, this trip we had two queen beds instead of one king bed. Not a problem except the mattress on our queen was way too soft and squishy. Compared to our other years there it was an unexpected "downer". However, the staff were wonderful and would have cheerfully given us a king room if there had been vacancy. Also, there was a convention of teens for Future Busnessmen of America going on at the same time. Their noise level combined with constantly slamming doors and late hours made our stay less relaxing. We have raised three teenagers and enjoy teens. I think the problem is that the kids did not have enough chaperones to remind them of hotel manners and to monitor the slamming doors. The hotel staff tried to stay right on top of things as best they could and our third night things were quieter. We thank the wonderful desk staff and our waitresses of Thursday and Friday, Island and Megan. As usual, their service and freindliness were top of the line. Oh, be sure to ask the chef for one of his fantastic omlettes! He even makes the salsa himself! We will be back next April. Thanks to all who went the extra mile to make our stay pleasant!

Room Tip: Ask for a King size bed and to be away from elevators and ice machines.

Dear Luellen L,

Thank you for choosing to stay in my hotel during your recent trip to Portland. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff to be top of the line, Megan and Island are a real asset to the hotel and I am proud to have them on my team. We are very proud of our newly renovated hotel and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I've been staying here every week for the past 6 months, and have had only a few issues. Each time I mentioned something (broken phone and shower head), it has been repaired within 24 hours without issue. The rooms are spacious, and the recently-rennovated lobby, bar, and restaurant are tastefully done (they have moved from traditional furnishings to more of a modern, minimalist palate. The staff here is WONDERFUL, providing excellent recommendations for dinner and treating the guests like family.
The fitness room is small, with only 6 machines in total, and there is usually a line of people waiting. But if you ask at the front desk, they can give you a day voucher to the full-service spa just down the block.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard on floors 5 and 6 are quieter

Dear Annaliese-KAL,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience in my hotel with the Tripadvisor community. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our service to be WONDERFUL. I look forward to having you as a guest of ours during your next trip to Portland.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I was here on business, and found this to be a good Marriott. They really tried to accommodate our needs, and when there was a glitch (like an overcharge for a Fax) they compensated with free breakfast vouchers. Charley's restaurant was quite good, and the beet-apple-hazelnut salad was awesome. So was the breakfast buffet. They had all the staples of a continental breakfast, plus an omelette station, and extras like bacon, sausage and home fries. Yogurt, fruit, and oatmeal were plentiful too. The wait staff was very prompt too. Our room had a really comfy bed, and when we asked for extra comforters, we had them in 10 minutes. When we were through with meetings and wanted to see Portland, we walked about 2 blocks to the free public transportation train, the MAX. It was easy to find out way around, and we loved how it easy it was to get out of the hotel and see sights. If I came back to Portland on business, I would stay here. If there is a downside, that is the distance from the airport, and that there is no free shuttle service. I had to pay $14 each way (or $24 r/t) for Blue Star Shuttle. The other downside is that our conference could not be accommodated in the Marriott and had to be across the street. Not a big deal unless it's raining, which is pretty much a guarantee in Porltand in April. So we would get wet walking to our seminar. There was supposed to be a van to take us a cross the street but it didn't run on weekends, or some such thing. Those would be my only 2 negative comments, and all else was very good!

1  Thank honurider
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Dear honurider,

Thank you for your review! I am pleased to hear that you loved our beet salad-it is one of my personal favorites. Our complimentary hotel shuttle runs within a three mile radius of my hotel and is available on a first come first serve basis. I am sorry to hear that we were not able to accommodate your shuttle needs. We are conveniently located two blocks from the Oregon Convention Center and the MAX light rail stop that provides convenient and free access to downtown Portland. I am happy to hear that you would choose my hotel again if you return to Portland. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for assistance with your next reservation. I can be reached at 503-382-3144 or pkilbourne@csmcorp.net.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights. Got the room through Hotwire. Parking is $15 per night and located in basement. Parking is tight and more so if there is an event happening in the area. Asked for a room that was not by any loud noises, such as, elevators or laundry rooms. Had a room on the second floor, that faced the courtyard (a previous reviewer stated that courtyard facing rooms were quieter than rooms that are on busy roads), and it also had a mini balcony. It was somewhat quiet. I don't know why hotels install those self closing doors, because you can hear everyone that leaves their room....like they are slamming the door shut forcefully. I kept hearing chairs being dragged across the floor. Couple days, staying at the hotel, I think I figured it out...the bar is located right below and every time someone moved from their stools you could hear it. Our room had an adjoining door to next room. One night, we heard the occupants move the door lock. Sounded like someone was trying to get into our room! The only time that would be nice if you were traveling with family and had rented 2 rooms. Every night, no matter what hotel I am staying at, I put up the "Do Not Disturb" sign. We were on vacation, with no plans, so we would watch tv and start our day around noon. One time, my husband found a preprinted postcard slipped under the door that stated that housekeeping respected our privacy and did not bother. If, we wanted our room clean we were to call the front desk and arrange a better time. We left the room and decided that we didn't want to have our room done. Came back that night and the room was clean and made! I felt bad, because I am sure they had to double back and do our room. I always leave a tip, on the bed, for housekeeping. This hotel had just had the carpet in the rooms shampooed, the day we had checked in, and were still damp when arrived. This hotel is very clean. We had a king size bed and it was very comfortable. There was a desk and a sofa that made into a bed. 2 phones: 1 on the desk and 1 on bedside. As my title says: Free wifi, but...the signal was weak. Couple bars, then completely log you off. You could pay extra for more, but was not important to us, so we just checked our emails. If, I remember, you could pay for a day or a week. I saw people, everyday, sitting in the lobby with their laptops. The lobby also had this huge screen that you could touch and find nearby places of interest. Whenever, we returned in the evening, the bar was busy. The lobby and bar are almost one. There was a bookcase/tv? separating the two. Also, in the lobby are 3? public computers. We didn't use the pool, exercising room, public computers, bar, restaurant, or lobby. We did use the laundry room. You had to use your room key to have access and it was located on the 2nd floor. $1.00 to wash/$1.00 to dry. There was only one washer and 2 dryers. On the counter there was a community bucket of laundry soap, but I had brought my own. The washer and dryers looked new and was nice to have available. There was some restaurants located near this hotel. We saw: Subway, Burgerville, Denny's, Red Robin. We walked easily to the Rose Garden to watch a Portland Trailblazer game. One night, my husband went to the room and I had gone to the Lloyd Center Mall. I walked back around 830pm and it was an easy walk. I would stay at this hotel, again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ak747gal
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Dear ak747gal,

Thank you for writing a review about your experience in my hotel. I love hearing feedback regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and I am thrilled that you found the hotel to be very clean. We recently identified a few weak spots in our Wi-Fi coverage and we have corrected this issue with the addition of more wireless equipment. We have also increased the hotel's total bandwidth 7 fold and I am confident that you will find the coverage and speed to your satisfaction during your next visit.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Slightly aged Marriott - currently undergoing some renovation and upgrades.
Very spacious room - the usual amenities you expect - just fine.
My only complaint is that the architecture of the building is somewhat flawed - many rooms are facing a courtyard ( Yes, it is a Courtyard Marriott) next to a busy street (ML King Blvd) and it seems to trap a lot of noise from the traffic around there.
Anyway, the Burgerville across the street is a good place for a quick lunch and Frank's Noodle House on Broadway around the corner is recommended for diner. For breakfast stay in the Marriott - nice folks over there.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BruderLustig
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Dear BruderLustig,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community. I am very happy to announce that we have completed our lobby, bar, restaurant, meeting room expansion and renovation! I am confident that the finished results will impress you. Please let me know when you make your next reservation so that I can provide you with a room that will better meet your needs.