“Free wifi, but not that great.”

Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #21 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
alaska
“Free wifi, but not that great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights. Got the room through Hotwire. Parking is $15 per night and located in basement. Parking is tight and more so if there is an event happening in the area. Asked for a room that was not by any loud noises, such as, elevators or laundry rooms. Had a room on the second floor, that faced the courtyard (a previous reviewer stated that courtyard facing rooms were quieter than rooms that are on busy roads), and it also had a mini balcony. It was somewhat quiet. I don't know why hotels install those self closing doors, because you can hear everyone that leaves their room....like they are slamming the door shut forcefully. I kept hearing chairs being dragged across the floor. Couple days, staying at the hotel, I think I figured it out...the bar is located right below and every time someone moved from their stools you could hear it. Our room had an adjoining door to next room. One night, we heard the occupants move the door lock. Sounded like someone was trying to get into our room! The only time that would be nice if you were traveling with family and had rented 2 rooms. Every night, no matter what hotel I am staying at, I put up the "Do Not Disturb" sign. We were on vacation, with no plans, so we would watch tv and start our day around noon. One time, my husband found a preprinted postcard slipped under the door that stated that housekeeping respected our privacy and did not bother. If, we wanted our room clean we were to call the front desk and arrange a better time. We left the room and decided that we didn't want to have our room done. Came back that night and the room was clean and made! I felt bad, because I am sure they had to double back and do our room. I always leave a tip, on the bed, for housekeeping. This hotel had just had the carpet in the rooms shampooed, the day we had checked in, and were still damp when arrived. This hotel is very clean. We had a king size bed and it was very comfortable. There was a desk and a sofa that made into a bed. 2 phones: 1 on the desk and 1 on bedside. As my title says: Free wifi, but...the signal was weak. Couple bars, then completely log you off. You could pay extra for more, but was not important to us, so we just checked our emails. If, I remember, you could pay for a day or a week. I saw people, everyday, sitting in the lobby with their laptops. The lobby also had this huge screen that you could touch and find nearby places of interest. Whenever, we returned in the evening, the bar was busy. The lobby and bar are almost one. There was a bookcase/tv? separating the two. Also, in the lobby are 3? public computers. We didn't use the pool, exercising room, public computers, bar, restaurant, or lobby. We did use the laundry room. You had to use your room key to have access and it was located on the 2nd floor. $1.00 to wash/$1.00 to dry. There was only one washer and 2 dryers. On the counter there was a community bucket of laundry soap, but I had brought my own. The washer and dryers looked new and was nice to have available. There was some restaurants located near this hotel. We saw: Subway, Burgerville, Denny's, Red Robin. We walked easily to the Rose Garden to watch a Portland Trailblazer game. One night, my husband went to the room and I had gone to the Lloyd Center Mall. I walked back around 830pm and it was an easy walk. I would stay at this hotel, again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ak747gal
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear ak747gal,

Thank you for writing a review about your experience in my hotel. I love hearing feedback regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and I am thrilled that you found the hotel to be very clean. We recently identified a few weak spots in our Wi-Fi coverage and we have corrected this issue with the addition of more wireless equipment. We have also increased the hotel's total bandwidth 7 fold and I am confident that you will find the coverage and speed to your satisfaction during your next visit.

Warm Regards,
Peter Kilbourne, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Palo Alto CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Slightly aged Marriott - currently undergoing some renovation and upgrades.
Very spacious room - the usual amenities you expect - just fine.
My only complaint is that the architecture of the building is somewhat flawed - many rooms are facing a courtyard ( Yes, it is a Courtyard Marriott) next to a busy street (ML King Blvd) and it seems to trap a lot of noise from the traffic around there.
Anyway, the Burgerville across the street is a good place for a quick lunch and Frank's Noodle House on Broadway around the corner is recommended for diner. For breakfast stay in the Marriott - nice folks over there.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BruderLustig
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear BruderLustig,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community. I am very happy to announce that we have completed our lobby, bar, restaurant, meeting room expansion and renovation! I am confident that the finished results will impress you. Please let me know when you make your next reservation so that I can provide you with a room that will better meet your needs.

Kind regards,
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

I am a crew member & a frequent guest here for the past few years now. Seeing the newly renovated hotel in the lobby as well as Charlie`s restaurant just blew my mind. Great job Peter! From the time I check in, Bree and Brandon are always smiling & ask how was my flight. This is such a relaxing experience like coming home. Island, on the other hand at Charlie`s, certainly appreciates all her regular guest with a big hug. My expectations of her is always at an all time high. Way to go guys!

Dear Rob W,
Thank you very much for your great review! I am glad to hear that you like the renovations that we have done in the lobby and restaurant. We just love showing off our new look! Bree, Brandon and Island are excellent examples of the great service that we provide and I am very proud of them. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

It has been a little while since I have stayed here and as usual the dining room staff is awesome including island, meagan and the gang. But the biggest improvement is the new bacon at the breakfast buffet. I love it when a hotel continues to change and improve even when they already are on top. thanks to management for changing the bacon!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear james p,

Thank you very much for your Kind words regarding the service you received from Island and Megan. I am very lucky to have them on my team! I am so glad to hear that you enjoy our new bacon. We are constantly revising our menu to provide a fresh, local and healthy offering. I hope to see you soon.

Best Regards,
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

I am one of the pilots with Air Canada/ Jazz and we stay here often.
I am really impressed with the new renovation to the hotels interior and the professional and friendly staff that they have especially with Island who always goes above and beyond to accommodate and please everyone. Such an excellent service.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Dear General_m281,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We greatly appreciate your continued business and look forward to serving your needs in the future. We are very proud of our recently completed renovation. We spent over $1.1 million to improve our guest experience. Our recently relaunched Charley's on Grand Restaurant and Bar has an entirely new look and feel. Our guests love the patio fire pit adjacent to the bar and the 6 55" LED TVs with DirecTV provide an opportunity to watch just about any game or show on TV while enjoying one of our microbrews on tap. We look forward to your next stay in our hotel.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

Words do not explain how great the service is in this hotel. Bree checked me in and was SO friendly and gave me a full run down of the hotel and it's services. It was a fast and easy check in.

The room was SUPER clean and updated and very comfortable.

I ate breakfast at the hotel. It was a nice buffet with tons of choices. The service was excellent!!!!

Check out was simple as well!

All in all this would be an excellent choice for anyone coming to Portland. I look forward to returning and reccomending to anyone!!!!

Dear dougers79,

Thank you for writing a review about my hotel. I am thrilled that you feel my hotel provides the "Best Service in Portland". Bree and the rest of my team take great pride in serving our guest's needs. We recently had a surprise quality inspection from Marriott and our inspector agreed with your comments regarding cleanliness-they rated us one of the top Courtyards for cleanliness with a score of 97.2%! We all look forward to serving your needs upon your next trip to Portland.

Lakewood, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

Bree and Island are the 2 most down to earth hotel staff I've ever encountered. I actually didn't care for the hotel specifically based on location, currently renovating and additional $20/night to park... but these 2 charmers sold me.

Dear srf612,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay in my hotel. I couldn't be happier that you found the service you received from Bree and Island to be the "most down to earth hotel staff I've ever encountered". We have completed our renovation and look forward to showing it off to you during your next trip to Portland. We offer a competitive parking rate at $19/night for valet parking with in and out privileges. Compared to other downtown hotels that charge over $30/night without in and out privileges, we are a great value.