“Cheap and a good location”

Econo Lodge Convention Center
Ranked #110 of 142 Hotels in Portland
LEJ45
“Cheap and a good location”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We stayed here because it was cheap and close enough to downtown Portland. We came into town on the Amtrak and walked to the hotel (crossing over the Broadway bridge). It’s maybe a 10 minute walk from the train station. Luckily, we were able to check in early and put down our bags before we went site seeing. The room itself was large and clean. Definitely a no frills hotel, but you get what you pay for. The complimentary breakfast is super lame: packaged danishes and orange juice, but eh, what the heck. To get into downtown Portland, we walked about 5 minutes to the Rose Quarter Transit Center, located across from the Rose Garden Arena. This was VERY convenient and even more so because it’s in the “free” transit zone. Tip: Another walkable site, is the Widmer Brothers Brewery. Be sure to check out their free tours!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LEJ45

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Portland, OR
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I am disabled and the stay last year was a disaster. We stayed for the State Wrestling Meet and I ended up falling because the "ramp" was not in right and the indoor outdoor carpet they had on it caused it to be difficult to judge. I ended up in the ER and was told they would pay the medical but they didn't. I eventually will need to have surgery on my knee but don't want to until I just have to. The person that registered us could barely speak English, The tub was not functioning right and backed up when the toilet was flushed. The plug for the drain didn't work we had to go buy a plug for the tub and bleach to clean it after the toilet backed up in the tub. The manager just poured some drain cleaner down the drain which just caused a terrible odor in the room.
The young lady that I believe is the District Manager was supposed to provide a comp for our stay this year but as of yet we have not heard about that and we are due to stay in Feb.
All the issues were supposed to be fixed but no idea if they have been.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Rita L

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed October 2, 2011

It is the basic L shaped travel lodge, but the rooms are clean, the wifi free (if memory serves) and the bathrooms bright. The beds were comfortably soft and the linens soft. It is just west of the bridge between the Pearl area and the cafes down Broadway. My criteria was that it be within walking distance of the Portland Union Station for Amtrak, and it was, just. That is a serious bridge!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ZivBnd
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Excellent service and accomodation. Will return again

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Salem, OR
Reviewed February 17, 2011

First off this is for a stay in 8/09.

I very much liked this place except for a few things. 1) As another reviewer wrote it is not accessible for those in wheelchairs, but is fine for those that can walk in and out of their rooms and while being inside their room. 2) The room I had was great (when I stay again I will request it), but it needed more plug ins to charge up all of my electronics. When I travel I have very full days so I really need plug ins because I tend to spend very little time at my hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed October 26, 2010

When I made my reservation I was told the room was partly accessible. It was NOT accessible at all! I was injured the first night and had to spend most of the next day in the ER. I am still having trouble with my shoulder and may have to have tests to see if I will need surgery. I had to have help showering and dressing for two days.
On the positive side, the owner (?) offered to transfer me to a different hotel the night I arrived. As I had already gotten inside with the help of the night manager pushing my wheelchair while I put it in high gear to get over at least 2" lip, and had begun to unpack, I said I would stay for 1 night. This was a big mistake! There was no way to move in my wheelchair and when I tried to get to the bathroom through a tiny space between the foot of the bed and the wall, using crutches, I almost fell, pulling the muscles & tendons in my right shoulder. I am right handed. The next day, after I was released from the ER, the owner arranged for me to change to a more accessible hotel. It was the least he could do, in the circumstances. What is most important is that this hotel should NEVER advertise as accessible in ANY way, even partially. They are completely out of compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. I wish I had photos to share with other potential visitors. Another visitor would probably have sued them!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank dismayed91953
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Be sure to read the fine print on the computer printout. We needed to change hotels because they do not have a microwave and I need this for medical reasons, and no micro is available. The fine print on the computer printout says that reservations must be changed or canceled by 4:00 pm on the day before the date of the reservation. At other hotels we have always been able to change or cancel up to early afternoon on the day of the reservation. Based on this hotel's policy, we will not stay at this Econo Lodge or any other of this chain.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business