“Ok for Budget Hotel”

Ranked #105 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Coquitlam BC
“Ok for Budget Hotel”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed here after pulling in at 2am, we just needed a cheap room for the night as we were heading to South Oregon. We got a room with two Queen beds as this was what was available, it was $74 total. The bathroom was clean and spacious 4* had towels, laundry bag, soaps, body wash. There was an ironing board/iron, room to store your clothes, lots of lamps mounted to the walls. The room smelled fresh (#124) we slept fine, the beds were not great but ok. the only thing that was crappy was that the people above us were moving around throughout the night and what seemed to be kids running around at 5am. There was also traffic noise from 'bum-bin' car stereos. The neighborhood seemed ok, IHop is right down the road. there is also a 24 hour McDonalds 2 min drive down the road. You could stay here but just bring ear plugs. they also had a small breakfast in the front reception.

Room Tip: Take a top floor until for a better sleep.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CandysVacations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I've stayed at this Econo Lodge many times in the past several months and have nothing but good things to say about the location, accommodations, and people. My ratings are based on comparisons to other hotels/motels in the area that I have also visited and/or stayed at.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank AlexStrong
Kula, Hawaii
Reviewed July 31, 2011

the room was quiet...smelled smokey....the security latch was broken. as if the door had been kicked in & there was a gang sign up on the wall. but it was cheap & with in minutes of the Portland Airport. The neighborhood was a little scary...but you get what you pay for...

Room Tip: stay as far away from the main highway as possible.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 808anon
Arvada
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Dirty, dirty, Couldn't sleep felt like things were crawling on me. The floor was dirty, the towels were dirty and when I ask for clean ones I had to go to the front desk and get them myself. You get what you pay for.......

Room Tip: You get what you pay for...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank TJohnsonArvada

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 19, 2011

This is my second time I've stayed here in a couple weeks. The staff was so friendly that I gave them a bag of chocolate cookies when I left. I complimented the manager on the fact that his bathtubs hold water. He was not surprised by the compliment because he takes pride in the quality of his facility. He knows some quests like to take baths, like me, and that most <yes, most> hotels have broken tubs - they won't hold water. Weird, but also true. I'm coming back to this friendly spot.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
San Leandro, California
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Bad neighborhood, smelly rooms, TV not working in one room, hair dryers working in neither.. worst of all, my non-smoking room reeked of smoke!....our experience wasn't quite as noisy as the other reviews, and the front desk help was actually helpful. The rooms were clean, however, and the beds were adequate, but not comfortable. One of my relatives chose the hotel, based on a good Econolodge experience at another hotel. She won't make that mistake again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank themoogal
Oregon
Reviewed December 24, 2007

I'm not really sure what we were thinking when we booked this hotel! At the time I wasn't very familiar with Portland, and we just picked something at random that looked like it was close to downtown. The neighborhood was very seedy - there were drug dealers and prostitutes (no joke.) I should point out that I'm no snob. In my younger days, I lived in some pretty sketchy neighborhoods, so I don't scare easily. We were nervous about leaving our car outside, and if my children had been with us I would actually have gone someplace else - it felt that unsafe.

The bed was comfortable enough, but the room was dark, smelly, and not very clean. The front desk staff was downright rude, and he demanded (actually demanded) and then photocopied ID from both my husband and myself. I suppose this was so they would have a list of all the possible suspects in case of a drug-raid.

The website said there was a free continental breakfast, but what we found the next morning was an aged "Little Debby" cake (just one!) and some questionable coffee. We passed on "breakfast" so I don't know if the coffee was any good or not! The room was absurdly overpriced at 99 dollars for 1 King bed. In sum, avoid at all costs - unless you're a crack dealer.

• Liked — close to our destination
  • Disliked — terrible neighborhood, terrible service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple