“comfortable stay for one night”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland Airport
Ranked #66 of 140 Hotels in Portland
“comfortable stay for one night”
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

spent one night at Fairfield Inn Portland Airport and have no major complaints. Upon check-in Nick was friendly and accommodating. Free in-room WIFI. Nice complimentary breakfast but too bad no potatoes to go along with eggs and sausage. Free shuttle van to MAX station. Would definitely consider staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed here for the last night of our Alaskan trip. I stayed free with my Marriot reward points. Not sure if that made a difference but the lady who checked me in didnt seem to be too happy about us being there. We went by her a couple of times again throughout the night and not a peep from her. Then again she didnt say a word to the other guests walking in front of her. Besides that the room was clean and good size. There was no thermostat in the room, old style ac, and the room seem to lack character and color. Very bland. It was ok for just spending the night. We left Portland early the next morning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hutto, Texas
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have stayed at Fairfield Inns in the past including this one a few years ago. This time we stayed here one night in order to be close the the airport for an early morning flight. Arrived at 3:00 PM but had to wait until our room was ready - not long, about 15 minutes. The mattress was awful, sagging in the middle. My husband ended up sleeping in a chair because the bed hurt his back too much. It was quiet despite being 3 miles from the airport. We had to leave before the breakfast room opened but they did have coffee and muffins available. Will stay someplace else next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Just one night, but it was plain lousy. The mattress was so soft, my whole left side was hurting so badly the next morning that I thought I was going to have to have assistance down the freaking jetway at PDX airport. C'mon Marriott, get some firmer mattresses in these rooms. The desk lamp was another issue. Take a CFL bulb and put it in a frosted shade. This lamp is THE WORST decision anyone at Marriott room design ever came up with. I had to lower the lamp behind my pc so I could see what I was doing without being blinded by the light blasting through the shade. Do the room designers at Marriott actually try this stuff out before buying truckloads of it to put in their hotels? Lastly, the TV system just stank out loud. Poor picture quality, herring bone lines across the screen, you name it.

On the upside, it was an easy drive to pdx, breakfast was great and front desk staff very nice.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The hotel was clean and nice room. The light above the sink was dim, couldnt see good at night.I noticed as soon as I entered the room. I was going out for the day, Sunday,. so I told the front desk about it. On my return there was a note on my day that the problem was taken care of. However nothing was done. There were two flourscent bulbs and one was burned out. I let it go till I left the second day. I told the front desk again. On my return , nothing had changed. The 3rd morning I was checking out , and told the two people at the front the light still wasnt replaced. Right away the man, who I think was the GM, said there was nothing wrong with the light, that he was up to the room and looked. I responded by saying nothing was done to the light since Ive been there. He jumped in with a raised voice , and said he was up there and nothing was wrong. I ask him if he took the light apart and looked, he said no, and again said nothing was wrong with it. By now we both had raised voices, and he as good as called me a liar.. About that time a maintenance man was walking by. and said there are two bulbs in it. I didnt even get an appoligy .
I wasnt upset because of the dim room or burned out bulb. Just the way he raised his voice and said I was wrong without even looking. . I thought quest should be treated better, and at least send a maintenance man to look at it. Maybe hes good at paperwork, but he knows nothing about maint. I will never stay at that hotel again. That should make him happy.

Room Tip: check the room as soon as you get there. Dont let it ride for 3 days like I did.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Edward621
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I went to see the Kite Festival at Long Beach, Washington earlier in the afternoon and planned on seeing the Multnomah Falls the next day. And this hotel at this location is quite close to I-84 I consider it is convenient to my driving schedule.

When my GPS told me "Arriving destination", I unloaded and ready to check in. Then the front desk told me "Wrong hotel", they were the Courtyard Marriott and pointed me across the street. So, the next one I went into, I had the same story but this time it was the SpringHill Marriott and instructions were like I had to make a U-turn at further end of the street. Third time is a charm. Finally, I hit the jackpot to locate the Fairfield Marriott at my third stop.

This particular location is NOT easy to locate after dark, I was told it was at the back of a Burger King and due to a divider on the road, one has to make a U-turn to the entrance driveway. After driving the whole day from Seattle, making 3 stops to find the right hotel was kind of frustrated. I still have no clues why Marriott wants to put up 3 hotels in the neighborhood of each other.

Hotel-wise, it was a decent one. The check-in and check-out process was smooth. The person at the front desk was friendly and easy. They had provided me all the information that I was looking for. When I found out they had no hot water at their tea/coffee stand, they had someone to tend the hot water immediately. As a matter of fact, the maintenance person gave me a cup of hot water first before refilling the kettle. A very helpful and kind gesture at that hotel.

The room was upholding the standard of Marriott's philosophy. They gave me a corner room on the top floor, small and yet sufficient for one person spending the night. The room was very decent and clean. No problems with the WiFi whatsoever.

The next morning was a Sunday, seemed like most of the guests all rushed in for the breakfast at the very last 30 minutes. The cafeteria area was small but they hired 2 persons to take care of the food. I watched them working quite efficiently to bring the hot entrees out and refilled the milk and yogurts section at no time. They also managed to help other guests to locate some particular kind of cereals from their storage. These are the little things that I appreciate all the time.

They have an outdoor swimming pool that closes at 10pm. I didn't try it out but it looked decent from the distance at the front desk.

I enjoyed their lobby, not a grand one with flowers and bouquets, but it was designed for the little people. They got low bookshelves filled with children's books where little children got access to easily. I saw many people just sat there and watched their children reading the books while their better half was checking in or checking out. I like this idea.

Other than the hidden location which I don't think it can be changed, I had a good experience with this Fairfield Inn for the very first time.

Room Tip: Don't trust the GPS, and don't just look for the sign under "Marriott", make sure...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Junction City, Kansas, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We spent two nights in this hotel during our stay in Portland. We used there shuttle service to the rail system which in turn takes to the downtown area. The queen size beds were very comfortable and the rooms very clean. The room had a small refridge and micro wave of which we used often. Our room was on the street side and was very quiet except for sirens from police or whatever. The breakfast were very good but the dining area could be a little larger. The staff was very well informed and knowledgeable. Nice area and close to airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple