“unhappy guest”

Ranked #64 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Dayton, Ohio
“unhappy guest”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The hotel was clean and nice room. The light above the sink was dim, couldnt see good at night.I noticed as soon as I entered the room. I was going out for the day, Sunday,. so I told the front desk about it. On my return there was a note on my day that the problem was taken care of. However nothing was done. There were two flourscent bulbs and one was burned out. I let it go till I left the second day. I told the front desk again. On my return , nothing had changed. The 3rd morning I was checking out , and told the two people at the front the light still wasnt replaced. Right away the man, who I think was the GM, said there was nothing wrong with the light, that he was up to the room and looked. I responded by saying nothing was done to the light since Ive been there. He jumped in with a raised voice , and said he was up there and nothing was wrong. I ask him if he took the light apart and looked, he said no, and again said nothing was wrong with it. By now we both had raised voices, and he as good as called me a liar.. About that time a maintenance man was walking by. and said there are two bulbs in it. I didnt even get an appoligy .
I wasnt upset because of the dim room or burned out bulb. Just the way he raised his voice and said I was wrong without even looking. . I thought quest should be treated better, and at least send a maintenance man to look at it. Maybe hes good at paperwork, but he knows nothing about maint. I will never stay at that hotel again. That should make him happy.

Room Tip: check the room as soon as you get there. Dont let it ride for 3 days like I did.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Edward621

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Korean first
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I went to see the Kite Festival at Long Beach, Washington earlier in the afternoon and planned on seeing the Multnomah Falls the next day. And this hotel at this location is quite close to I-84 I consider it is convenient to my driving schedule.

When my GPS told me "Arriving destination", I unloaded and ready to check in. Then the front desk told me "Wrong hotel", they were the Courtyard Marriott and pointed me across the street. So, the next one I went into, I had the same story but this time it was the SpringHill Marriott and instructions were like I had to make a U-turn at further end of the street. Third time is a charm. Finally, I hit the jackpot to locate the Fairfield Marriott at my third stop.

This particular location is NOT easy to locate after dark, I was told it was at the back of a Burger King and due to a divider on the road, one has to make a U-turn to the entrance driveway. After driving the whole day from Seattle, making 3 stops to find the right hotel was kind of frustrated. I still have no clues why Marriott wants to put up 3 hotels in the neighborhood of each other.

Hotel-wise, it was a decent one. The check-in and check-out process was smooth. The person at the front desk was friendly and easy. They had provided me all the information that I was looking for. When I found out they had no hot water at their tea/coffee stand, they had someone to tend the hot water immediately. As a matter of fact, the maintenance person gave me a cup of hot water first before refilling the kettle. A very helpful and kind gesture at that hotel.

The room was upholding the standard of Marriott's philosophy. They gave me a corner room on the top floor, small and yet sufficient for one person spending the night. The room was very decent and clean. No problems with the WiFi whatsoever.

The next morning was a Sunday, seemed like most of the guests all rushed in for the breakfast at the very last 30 minutes. The cafeteria area was small but they hired 2 persons to take care of the food. I watched them working quite efficiently to bring the hot entrees out and refilled the milk and yogurts section at no time. They also managed to help other guests to locate some particular kind of cereals from their storage. These are the little things that I appreciate all the time.

They have an outdoor swimming pool that closes at 10pm. I didn't try it out but it looked decent from the distance at the front desk.

I enjoyed their lobby, not a grand one with flowers and bouquets, but it was designed for the little people. They got low bookshelves filled with children's books where little children got access to easily. I saw many people just sat there and watched their children reading the books while their better half was checking in or checking out. I like this idea.

Other than the hidden location which I don't think it can be changed, I had a good experience with this Fairfield Inn for the very first time.

Room Tip: Don't trust the GPS, and don't just look for the sign under "Marriott", make sure...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Junction City, Kansas, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We spent two nights in this hotel during our stay in Portland. We used there shuttle service to the rail system which in turn takes to the downtown area. The queen size beds were very comfortable and the rooms very clean. The room had a small refridge and micro wave of which we used often. Our room was on the street side and was very quiet except for sirens from police or whatever. The breakfast were very good but the dining area could be a little larger. The staff was very well informed and knowledgeable. Nice area and close to airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Last week, I did an overnight trip to Portland, OR and stayed at the Fairfield Inn, a Marriot property. The hotel was convenient to the PDX airport (although a little more prominent signage would have been appreciated). Check in was fast and very polite. The room was typical. Furnishings looked recent and the bed was very comfortable. Two small issues: the AC unit was a little loud and the picture on the flat screen TV was snowy. Wi-Fi was free and connected instantly. Free hot breakfast was quite good and typical Marriot (love those waffles). I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get an upper floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I've been a Marriott fan for many years (during my corporate years of travel). Courtyard were always my preferred favorite. Now that we are retired, we look for value in our hotels. We've had the chance to stay at the Springhill Suites and now the Fairfield Inn -
Here's the comparison:
Both are great places to choose from. Their beds are comfortable, morning meals more than adequate and are staffed with experienced personnel. The Fairfield in Portland was perfect for our brief stay last week. We had a family member join us for one night - requested and received a roll away for her. I can see that the Springhill Suties definitely have more square footage in their rooms - couch vs chair - definitely more ability to walk around - bed and lounging are separated... but the rollaway worked fine for the one night we needed it.

For the two of us, the Fairfield combination worked great. Their shuttle service is 24 hours - and we were able to hop on to get to the Max station to go into Portland for the day. Very convenient.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rockyisle
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2013

No issues on our 1 night stopover stay earlier this week. Got a room on the ground floor as requested. Typical Fairfied Inn type hotel. Free breakfast choices includes hard boiled and scrambled eggs, sausage, waffle maker, cereal, bread, muffins, juices, milk, hot beverages. Weekday breakfast ran from 6-9am. Free wireless internet coverage worked decent. Requested a rollover bed that was set up for us fairly quickly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank holidaysholidays
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 23, 2013

so our room had a messed up sink - and they had no maintenance at 4:30 to fix it. But they moved us - so it worked out ok. Also, dust webs in room. It's an older hotel...and they need to do things such as fix those really thin mattresses - and add thicker/fuller comforters. Also, if you are more than one in the room, the bathroom counter won't work - it's way way way too small.

On the plus side - I took the airport shuttle several times and you never waited more than 5 minutes...that's amazing. The gym and breakfast were both good too.

You can stay here and tax the Max city train with their airport shuttle - so you could save some $$.

All in all, a decent place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family