“Ideal location near airport but quiet with shuttle service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Portland (Airport Area)

Holiday Inn Express Portland (Airport Area)
Ranked #53 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Shelburne, Vermont
“Ideal location near airport but quiet with shuttle service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We ended our ten day Oregon adventure vacation here to allow a stress-free departure in the morning. Dropped off the rental car just after we checked in, so we didn't have to deal with that in the morning. Very friendly front desk help from Kayla and Stephanie. Complementary wine and beer social every Wednesday at 4:30 PM. We had rooms on the ground level. Rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean. Very good continental breakfast included with room rate. Used an exercise room in the lobby area. We used the shuttle service to go to Dave's Famous BBQ restaurant . Very friendly and prompt driver named "Chase" took the four of us to the restaurant and picked us up.

Room Tip: Ground level rooms on same level as parking lot, so if you want privacy, close the drapes
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Wyoming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Staying near the airport really reduces your choices of lodging, but it's oh-so convenient for those 6AM departures, and this hotel is one I'll stay at again. The hotel is new and very clean. Not the cheapest option, but the price was fair. Our room was spotless, comfortable and most importantly, I slept soundly all night long. The breakfast was extensive, with hot eggs, gravy, biscuits, waffles and the usual cadre of bagels, danishes and cereals, all in a nicely-furnished room (though I hated to watch Fox news while I tried to eat). The only downside to the hotel at all is that it is in an area almost completely devoid of restaurants, and we had to drive a very long way to find anything besides the silver diner to eat at. In the end, we literally stopped at a gas station and got hot dogs..so my advice is to eat dinner before you enter the area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Independence, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have stayed in numerous places near the Portland, Oregon airport. Recently, I had to make a reservation at the last minute. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality, the service, the breakfast selections, and the availability of space at the last minute. I decided to splurge with the hot tub room as it was available. For the few extra dollars, I found this to be a great choice. For the money, this is a good choice, for a place near the airport, with shuttle for travelers.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor, last room by the outside door and found it to be quieter. The oth...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

having stayed at 4 different holiday inns on a recent 9 day vacation in oregon, we found this hotel to be by far the best - pleasant, helpful staff all around - clean room, quiet hotel, beautifully appointed. just an A-plus experience all around!

Room Tip: all rooms seem equally accessible to everything!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Forest Grove, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

We like to stay here when we are taking trips from the Portland, Oregon airport. They offer free shuttle to the airport. Why fight the traffic for those early morning flights. Just go to the hotel the night before and wake up to a nice breakfast. Take the shuttle to the airport, and enjoy your flight.

Room Tip: Ask for a "quiet room" away from the airport side of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

I can't recommend this hotel enough. For the same price of a dumpy, two-person hotel room downtown, we got an amazing suite that was comfortable and roomy enough for two adults and two teens.

When I choose a value-based hotel I usually lower my expectations, but this hotel exceeded them and was far superior to many more expensive ones I've stayed at. Our family of four had a one-bedroom suite, which included two comfortable queen-sized beds (one in a completely enclosed bedroom), flat-screen TVs (at hit with my kids), small couch, large bathroom, larger fridge, microwave and sink area. The room was extremely clean and attractive, very updated-looking. Friendly and efficient service from front desk, shuttle drivers and housekeeping staff. Delicious free hot breakfast with good selections. Close proximity and free shuttle to the Cascade MAX station, so our family could leave our car in the free parking lot and take the MAX to downtown Portland (thus avoiding heavy traffic and expensive downtown parking). For an airport-area location, it was surprisingly quiet and I only recall heard planes flying overhead twice. I had also requested a quieter room during my online reservation, which I then promptly forgot about, so imagine my surprise when the front desk informed me at check-in that they gave us a room at the far end of the hall to accomodate my request! Finally, the temperature controls in both the bedroom and rest of our suite were easy to use and the AC was QUIET.

The only criticism I could give, and it's a minor one, was that our key card did not work on the second night when we returned from a long day, but the front desk quickly and cheerfully took care of it.

This will definitely be our hotel of choice on future visits.

Room Tip: Request a quieter, non-smoking room when you book your reservation. Do NOT be late for breakfast ho...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bloomington, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I always choose HIE when I can and I'm rarely disappointed. This was no exception. The check in desk employees were very friendly, the room was perfectly clean and comfortable, and the television and wireless worked well. I was only here overnight but would have enjoyed a longer stay. It's convenient to the airport, and the planes do fly over which doesn't bother me but it might bother some people. I did have to make a bit of a trek to find a gas station close by, and for food I just saw a couple of fast food places. Not sure if I just went in the wrong direction or what, but it made for a few difficulties. Otherwise, getting to the airport the next morning was a breeze from here. Stay with confidence!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo