“Above and Beyond”

Ranked #46 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Warren, Ohio
“Above and Beyond”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I am a Mother living in Northeast Ohio. I lost my job in June and have since started attending Youngstown State University. My funding depends on my attendance. My Daughter Amanda and her Fiance, Joy, live in Eugene, Oregon. When Washington passed the law allowing gay marriage, they decided not to wait any longer to get married. I felt horrible being so far away from her on her wedding day, so I called this Hotel to see if there was anything I could do for her all the way from Ohio. When I called, I talked to a wonderful employee named Shawn, who helped me make sure that my girls had everything they needed to turn the room into a Honeymoon Suite!! Flowers, Champagne, Vegan Cupcakes, the works!! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in this area!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DBarber1375

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Spent one night here on the way to the Oregon Coast (used Hotel Tonight to get a room). We stayed in a 5th floor one-bedroom suite. Friendly front desk people, room was decent and clean - had a mini kitchen with a full fridge, salt, pepper and olive oil provided. Walking distance to Powell's Books and Nob Hill restaurants, free parking, free wifi - what's not to like?

Room Tip: 5th floor rooms have nice view out from the walkway!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deb S
Gold Beach, OR
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We recently stayed here as we were going to the Multnomah Athletic Center. It was only a short distance and totally walkable to get there from this inn. Parking is free and that is a plus as most downtown hotels charge around $30 a night. The front desk put us on the top floor as they said it would be quieter. It was a Saturday night so many staying there seemed to be drinking and stumbling down the walkway quite noiseily. I am thankful that we were given a top floor room as being under all the noise would have been awful. The next morning there was vomit not far from our door that we had to jump over in order to get to our car. On the plus side the room was clean and we did have hot water, not much pressure but hot!! The location was convenient for us but not sure I would stay here again it was just a little too minimal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed January 8, 2013

If it were possible I'd give this hotel 3.5 stars. It's totally fine, better than average (which is how tripadvisor describes 3-star reviews), but I can't really describe it as 'very good', which is the description tripadvisor allocate to 4-stars. I stayed on the Suites side for just over a week at Christmas 2012. The suites are roomy and functional, in a nice location (walking distance from Nob Hill, Pearl district and Downtown, lots of bars/eateries and shops nearby). My suite had a kitchenette (with a couple of packs of breakfast oats and some coffee by way of welcome), was clean and spacious, and was serviced pretty well throughout my stay.

I had a few reservations - my living room curtain didn't cover the full window (only the net curtain did), so at night, other guests walking pasts to their rooms could see in when the lights were on. My shower was ok but didn't have great water pressure. The central heating system was slightly eccentric - there didn't seem to be any way to set it on a timer, and then after I'd come to the conclusion it needed switching on manually, it started coming on randomly in the middle of the night. (In fairness, I didn't question this with front desk, so there may have been an explanation...). Also the front desk were super-friendly but not all that efficient - some laundry went astray for a couple of days, and I had to ask a couple of times for more dishwasher powder for my room.

Overall, I'd say it was fine if you're looking for a little more upmarket than basic, and it's probably good value for the area it's in, but look elsewhere if you're looking for frills.

Room Tip: There's a bit of a view if you're on one of the higher floors. Suites look a lot roomier tha...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2013

A friend and I headed to Portland for a quick budget trip to visit friends. Great location... nice walk to downtown area and nearby shopping. Also 15 minute walk to waterfront. Basic room that was clean. One downfall was the windows were only draped with a very sheer covering and people walking outside could totally see in. We had to hang a blanket from the rod to get some privacy! But the rooms are facing outwards so not many people are walking by.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 23, 2012

When I would take a shower though there wasn't any hot water. I called the front desk and told me they would look at it and they never did. Also doesn't seem very sanitary place and it felt dirty. I come to Portland a lot and I will find another hotel to stay at. This isn't worth it

• Stayed December 2012
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 19, 2012

we stayed on the suites side of this hotel!! The neighborhood was great! We could park the rental and walk anywhere! Tons of bars/pubs/restaurants/Trader Joes all around!! Also the one bedroom suites have a separate bedroom with a door which is perfect if you kids and want to get them to bed early!!
Limited parking, but it was all good! DEFINITELY worth the price. Would stay here again and recommend! Awesome if you want to stay downtown and you don't have a downtown budget!

Room Tip: stay on suites side! Next time I would ask for a room with a downtown view window!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family