“Gross Hotel”
Review of Eastside Lodge

Eastside Lodge
Ranked #80 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My co-worker and I needed to find an inexpensive place to stay...the price was too high considering the type of hotel it turned out to be. It is not in the greatest neighborhood. There is a strip club located right across the street. When we opened the blinds up, there was a man peeing right outside, the towels had holes in them, both of the comforters had stains, there was mold in the shower, and there was someone's bra left behind in one of the cabinets. I highly recommend spending a bit more to stay at a nicer place.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank fauxsure

Reviewed July 6, 2010

I am a businessman that puts on entertainment events, and I suggest to my clients that they stay here They've always always given me Business rate discount, and that means a lot to me and my clients.
For Location, this place cannot be beat!
It's just a few blocks from the Willamette River. You can a bicycle or go for a walk and explore this wonderful city with ease.
Within a block of the Hotel were great restaurants, coffee shops and even a nightclub across the street. I really appreciated that! Within a block of the Hotel great restaurants, coffee shops, a wine bar, and even a nightclub!
I would recommend this establishment to anyone who is looking for secure, dependable lodging!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank JoeyScruggs
Reviewed May 23, 2010

I was traveling with my boyfriend and my brother with his family. We came to the thriftlodge as a last resort because we have been traveling all day and were all exhausted. My boyfriend was going to rent a room for himself because we are not married, and I was going to stay with my brother and his family in a separate room.

When we were renting the rooms, the night manager was extremely rude to only me. He thought that I was going to plan an extremely large party with me, and he was refusing to rent to me. I offered to pay for half of my boyfriend's room, and the manger stared me down warning me that if any damages were done, it would be on my card even though I was not staying in the room! I was very upset and started to cry and left to wait in the car. My sister-in-law then said that as I left, the manager continued to bad mouth me behind my back.
This was the worst customer service that I have ever received. I felt that I was being stereotyped and discriminated by the man. Never going back there again!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank anitacastaneda
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I travelled down from Seattle by train and stayed at the Portland Central Thriftlodge with 7 other guys for my best friends bachelor party. The hotel is in moderate walking distance from the station as well as downtown Portland. The rooms were spare but clean and slept 4 per room comfortably, though the hotel is showing some age. The rate for 4 is excellent, especially so close to city nightlife downtown, and the staff are extremely nice and friendly - even agreeing to store a dozen bags behind the desk for us after we checked out on our final day and fun to chat with. Great for a weekend stay with a large group of friends.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed March 25, 2009

This place is older and has seen many years since its last update, but we found it to be clean and reasonably well-kept, with a friendly and helpful staff. Our room was comfortable and quiet, and the shower had great water pressure. Convenient location.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2009

I made a reservation for a future stay (August 2009) at this motel. When making the reservation, you are presented with different rate types (e.g. pre-paid advanced purchase, AAA, internet rate, etc). I know I did not select the pre-paid rate because I have an email confirmation with the rate I selected, and I'm a software quality assurance engineer so I'm more than reasonably certain that I understand the alphabet and how words are constructed. My credit card statement showed the motel charged my card for an amount not reflected on my confirmation email. Here is where things get problematic:

I called the motel directly to cancel the reservations but was told I had a pre-paid reservation. A debate ensued and eventually the guy on the phone told me I was being too aggressive but he'd credit my account anyway. Um, yeah, do that. When I asked for a cancellation number, he informed me they don't give cancellation numbers because they process cancellations at midnight. Then I asked him to email me a confirmation of the cancellation. He refused and suggested I call them on Monday to see if it was cancellation was done, and to keep calling to make sure the credit went through.

This was a very frustrating experience. First, I was charged a rate that was clearly in conflict with the confirmed rate emailed to me. Second, the motel representative debated me on whether or not the email I had was correct and accused me of being too aggressive. Third, being told to call back daily to make sure they reversed the charges on my credit card that they fraudulently charged.

After an irritating conversation with the motel guy, I called my credit card company who ensured they would resolve the issue with the motel. So, while I cannot report on the overall hotel-stay experience or amenities at this hotel, I am able to share what I experienced while doing the most simple task: booking a reservation at this motel. Check your credit card statement!

Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank socalwanderluster
Reviewed February 21, 2009

Stayed for a long weekend with two friends for a dance festival. The motel is simple and functional but clean. The service is basic but friendly. We chose it due to its proximity to a couple of dance studios. The area is a bit sketchy but still safe enough for walking, and some cute coffee places are a few blocks away. The room is not very spacious but it had an empty fridge and a microwave, which came in handy for breakfast and snacks. My only complaint was the noise from the neighbors' room, as the walls are thin. Luckily I had some earplugs.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends