“close to everything”

Ranked #102 of 141 Hotels in Portland
washington state
“close to everything”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We were recently there for 4 nights during a convention.while it is an average motel we found the free continental breakfast to be sufficient.the king sized bed was fine and the closeness to many fine restaurants and grocery store was very convienient.the price was fair for location.if you want luxury go somewhere else but this is a clean stable motel.we probably would stay here again for the location. Easy to get back on freeway also.for good dinjng there are many nice restaurants on broadway and weidler.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mexicolover33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed June 15, 2014

This was the 6th time I’ve stayed here. On my previous visits I might have given it as much as 3 stars, but for my most recent visit, no matter how deep I dredge, I can find absolutely nothing positive to say. I made my reservation 9 days in advance and I arrived at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon. J*** and a spacey blonde girl at the front desk told me there were no rooms ready yet, so I sat in the lobby to wait. During my wait, five other people walked into the door and checked in and they were all given their rooms in a timely fashion, three of them were walk-ins without reservations. I got up and walked to the front desk while the 3rd person was checking in and was told to wait because “I’m busy checking in Mr. *****”. After this I was then told again that there were still no rooms ready yet, after they had just checked-in 5 other guests. At around 4:45 I was finally able to complete the check-in so I could get into the room I had reserved.

This is how I would characterize the way the blonde girl and J*** acted toward me: arrogant; self-important; surely; antagonistic; very rude; and absolutely lacking in any type of customer service skills. I will also add that the 5 other guests that were allowed to check-in ahead of me while I was arbitrarily assigned to the penalty box were all anglos and I definitely am not. I would prefer not to think that race played any part in the degrading manner in which I was treated. If I was not feeling ill due to a medical condition that I traveling to Portland for treatment, I would have left well before the blonde girl and the other miscreant could have inflicted this much torment on me. I’ve traveled around the world 3 times and have stayed in every conceivable type of place you could imagine in Asian and European countries, but none of my worst experiences in the grungiest flea-bag places I’ve stayed in from Thailand to England can come close to what I experienced at this Shilo Inn.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank Bob W
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Bob W,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I also apologize that your room type was not available early for arrival. Check-in time is 4pm and I show that you were registered by 4:18pm. I hope that you will give us a future opportunity to earn your confidence.

Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed here when we went to a Winterhawks game so we could walk to the moda center. The hotel is very cute. The room is small but enough room for both of us. The soaps and shampoo were very nice. The room and bathroom were very clean.

Room Tip: Choose the upstairs room if possible. Very private.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leah O
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Leah O,

Thank you for your review and for choosing Shilo Inns. We look forward to a future opportunity to be of service to you. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager
Vancouver bc
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We booked here, due to it's closeness to the tram and it's price. We found it to be quite nice. The continental breakfast was not amazing, but adequate and was included in the room price so really there isn't anything to complain about. We found the neighborhood totally safe - and didn't have any issues walking at night. It's about a 5-10 minute walk to the tram which takes you anywhere in Portland. We are planning on booking here again in October. Keep in mind this is a motel and is not fancy, it's basic but clean!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank dawne_n_travis
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear dawne_n_travis,
Thank you for your review and for recognizing our special brand of “Affordable Excellence.” We look forward to serving you again in the future. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager
Marysville, Washington
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I booked a motel room at the Shilo Inn on Friday morning while I was driving up from Reno, Nevada. I was in Eugene when I found a room at the Shilo Inn, I loved the location. I was going to stay for Friday afternoon into Saturday morning and continue my trip onto Everett, Washington. The man took my reservation and booked me a double queen room, being that I had five people with me. When I arrived to the Shilo Inn at 830am, they told me that there was not a room available for me and the guy that booked my room didn't check to see if they actually had a room available for me to stay in. They told me that there was absolutely nothing they could do, after me becoming very angry. I stated I just drove from Reno, Nevada and was told I could rent a room here. The guy at the counter stated, "Well you didn't book the room from Reno, you called an hour ago." Which was a lie. All they did for me was told me where some other motels/hotels were in the area and sent me on my way. Which was useless being that I am originally from Portland, Oregon and I already know where the motels are. I believe that this is very unprofessional and rude, it was their mistake and I would have appreciated them fixing the mistake they made. I will never book another stay here.

Room Tip: My tip is do not stay here.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank cashmirelong
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear cashmirelong,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for your experience and for the inconvenience you experienced. We are doing our best to research the circumstances you mention and hope that you will contact me personally so that I may offer a resolution. Please call me at the property at your convenience.

G. Sorrels-General Manager
Goldendale, Washington
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel twice now because it is walking distance to the Wonder Ballroom. It is nothing fancy but the 2 queen room was clean and had plenty of room. If walking to the Venue do not walk alone the neighborhood is not the best. Breakfast is bagels,juice & cereal bars but if you are hung over that is enough....Ha!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nicky C
Dear NickyC,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate your choosing Shilo Inn and recognizing our great location. We hope to see you again soon.

G. Sorrels-General Manager
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

My sister and I stayed here for the second time and once again had a great stay.
A few key things that made it so great
1: we arrived an hour before check in time and the staff still let us check in.
2: staff is always very friendly, the one guy at check in ( I can't remember his name ) gave us some nice suggestions for sushi places for dinner that night.
3: the breakfast seems to have improved, still not a ton of choices but we were able to get juice this time :)
This is now the only hotel we use in portland :)

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Avalon20013,

Thank you for choosing us a second time and designating us as the only hotel you use in Portland. Your patronage is appreciated!

Sincerely