“Go Else Ware Unless You Are Desperate”

Shilo Inn Rose Garden
Ranked #100 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The pictures on the web site were not worth a thousand words.

The room was cramped. You had to shimmy between the toilette, the shower and the door. There was no privacy from the sleeping/sitting area and the wash area. And the entrance door blocked the wash area when someone entered.

Falling twice in the shower, I noticed the anti-slip strips were worn off.

The amenities were out dated and defective. The TV was an old tube screen and the microwave had dials and dinged. Come on! The refrigerator needed defrosting and rocked. You could see that is was not level. The work desk was not stable and almost fell over. The chair wobbled.

The carpet needed cleaning or changing, and smelled.

The wifi worked well, but was not secure.

The only bright spot I saw was one maid. She worked hard for her guest and was observed diligently cleaning and washing down rooms. Our beds, the shower and sink and the toilet were clean and well supplied.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RCDavis
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear RCDavis,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that your experience failed to meet your expectations. Your feedback is important and will be reviewed with senior management. I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to be of service in the future.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel was the cheapest I could find. That being said, it wasn't what you'd expect from a 5 star hotel. The room was clean, but I wasn't looking to hard. The linens were clean and the bathroom was clean. That's what matters to me. The TV is from the 90's and the decor is outdated, but honestly, it's a place to sleep with a hot shower, clean beds and glass cups! I was impressed with glass, I was expecting plastic. There was even a refrigerator and an old microwave. I didn't use them but they have them. The free breakfast was disappointing. There were bagels and a toaster, but no cream cheese :( Boo. But they did have coffee and lots of flavored creamers. That was nice. All in all, it was not a horror story as some may have made this place to be. It's cheap, clean, free parking, free wifi and free coffee in the morning. The front desk people were super cool too. They didn't charge me for booking too many nights on Expedia. They could have, but they didn't care and didn't charge me for it. I'd go back there again if I needed to save a few bucks.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Telisha M,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

When staying in Portland, we find ourselves enjoying the many attractions of the city, spending little time at the hotel. So we often stay at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden due to it's convenient location, ample (and free) parking, as well as its reasonable rates. The rooms are clean and average. The area isn't one to walk around at night, but it has easy access to downtown, the Pearl District, and the airport. The continental breakfast is lacking, but there are many fast food and quick serve restaurants nearby. If you just need a place to sleep and shower, the Shilo Inn works perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emme150
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear emme150,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. It is nice to see that you appreciate the qualities that make this location unique. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We booked this hotel because of its proximity to family. The price was right, the room better than we expected, but the breakfast was a joke. Except for apples and oranges, there was only sweet junk food. Nothing healthy or even tasty. Fortunately, there are several chain joints nearby which are somewhat better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear RBPSarasotaFL,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that the continental breakfast failed to meet your expectations. We are currently reviewing the offerings and appreciate your input.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

this hotel is in a good location but it is old smells bad and needs to be sprayed for bugs. we booked a globus vacation and they booked this hotel for us other wise I would have never booked here. i would not book a shilo inn anywhere in washington state or oregon everyone we stayed at was old run down and smelled horrible. the televisions were old box sets and hardly got reception the carpet was stained and nasty and the beds were concaved and uncomfortable.

Room Tip: the beds are aweful
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank tonyatom
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear tonyatom,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations.

G.Sorrels

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

My sister and I just finished staying here for a few days. We come to portland a few times a year but this was our first time staying at Shilo since our usual hotel increased there prices quite a bit.
We will be staying here next time based in this visit.

Pros:
Free Wifi
Good parking
Good location
Quiet
Great ac
Very comfy bed and couch ( I slept on couch and it was the best night sleep I've ever had in a hotel

Cons
Almost no tv channels
Bathroom was tiny, had to get all the way in to close the door

• Stayed: August 2013
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear avalon20013,

Thank you for your review and for choosing Shilo Inn Rose Garden. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Yes, this place is tired around the edges: the seats of the couch and desk chair are kind of worn down. But the important factors are all there: clean bathroom and sink areas, comfortable bed, quiet room. The front desk staff are the nicest group of young men I've come across--all very cordial and helpful. The breakfast is minimal--not even cold cereal and milk; just oatmeal, white bread, plain bagels, and fresh fruit if you're early enough. However. with a microwave and refrigerator, you can walk 8 blocks to Safeway and have everything you need. I was hesitant to walk to or from the convention center at night but I was trying to take the shortest route possible, through parking lots. If you stick to the main roads, I think it would be fine, even for a single female.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear WeBeHappyTravelers,