“Overall, decent”

Shilo Inn Rose Garden
Ranked #100 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Yes, this place is tired around the edges: the seats of the couch and desk chair are kind of worn down. But the important factors are all there: clean bathroom and sink areas, comfortable bed, quiet room. The front desk staff are the nicest group of young men I've come across--all very cordial and helpful. The breakfast is minimal--not even cold cereal and milk; just oatmeal, white bread, plain bagels, and fresh fruit if you're early enough. However. with a microwave and refrigerator, you can walk 8 blocks to Safeway and have everything you need. I was hesitant to walk to or from the convention center at night but I was trying to take the shortest route possible, through parking lots. If you stick to the main roads, I think it would be fine, even for a single female.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear WeBeHappyTravelers,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Right next to mass transit on Eastside in downtown PDX. Clean rooms, complimentary breakfast, fridge and microwave, and room was ready early. If had exercise equipment, would have gotten 5 stars. Even so, its in a location where city walking is a nice exercise option.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Logan C
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Logan C,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I was there for 5 nights. I booked it quite early- about 6 months ago for $85 a night. I was looking for a hotel within walking distance of the Oregon Convention Center (chaperoned my daughter for her Harry Potter convention) and had a decent review on Tripadvisor. Shilo seemed to fit the bill.
The room I got was small!! No chair or table. I learned later from the front desk that they have 4 such rooms. The other rooms are bigger and have a table and chairs. He offered to transfer me to one on Saturday (we arrived Wednesday) but I declined. I presumed that since I got it at a bargain rate, I got the smaller room. This was fine with me.
The room was nicely equipped and was clean. It had a hair dryer and iron/ironing board I did not test both). TV with a some cable channels, microwave, single cup coffee maker and a fridge. All worked. The fridge worked a little too well. Even on the lowest setting my water bottles froze.
The queen bed was very comfortable. The pillow was execellent. this coming from a picky daughter. Though the room was small, the space was utilized rather well. An improvement could be to put hooks strategically to hang clothes. Even in my room an extra chair would have been immensely useful.
the A/C worked exceedingly well. It was so cold that I had to run it at its lowest setting. Even the walkway/hallway a/c worked so well that the hallway was colder than my room. And I love the cold.
They have a coin operated laundry room at the basement (entry by keycard) 1 dryer and 1 washer. $1.50 in quarters per use. You will know how much time is left because both machines had a LED indication how many minutes were left on the wash/dry cycle. there was also, get this, a sauna room that was free. I did not get to use it though.
The bathroom was of a nice size . The hot water was really hot. it was stocked with decent soap/shampoo/conditioner/and lotion. Just two sets of towels though.
I did not see the molds nor the smell that was mentioned in the reviews
The wifi- I do not know where the wifi router is but I presume it must be at the front desk. Shiloh Inn is designed as a long building with rooms on both sides. The front desk was along the 2nd avenue.My room was at the very end of the building- on the 3rd avenue. The signal ranged from a 3/5 to mostly a solid 5/5.
But beware. Their signal is advertised as high speed. I checked the speed to be 11mb/second. Still decent enought for reading emails and checking something. Not for video. The line is nsecured. You do not need a password to log in. I usually logged on to the neighboring Calaroga Terrace retirement home- signal strength 2/5 but clocking at 65 mbps.
The front desk was small. But the front desk friendliness and help was huge. Goes to show that small size of front desk does not equate to poor service. Checkin was fast. The front desk, esp. Larry, spent time with me plotting my sightseeing of Portland.
No fitness center. ice machine and a soda vending machine near the front desk and on the second floor at the other end of the building was a snack vending machine.
There was a free continental breakfast which was not bad, considering the other continental breakfasts that I have encountered at other 3 star establishments.
Around the area- within 5 blocks radius. 7-11 open 24/7 right across the 3rd avenue. Burger King, McDonalds, Wendy's, Starbucks in the area. a walgreen 3 blocks away. the street car was 1-2 blocks away and the light rail station was 4-5 blocks in the direction of the Oregon Convention Center.
Within this 5 block radius were also other hotels but for the price and the reviews on Tripadvisor I chose Shilo. I would go there again without hesitation.
Hint; before going out to see Portland, go to the front desk and get those credit card sized advertisement. They offer some discounts. Like the river cruise- a $5 discount which I forgot all about.!

Room Tip: ask them NOT for the budget rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bigwawao
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear bigwawao,

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I sincerely appreciate reading the details of your stay and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The last time we stayed at The Shilo was in 2011, two years ago. We decided to give it a try again since the previous time was comfortable, clean, and near transit.

I want to share that I work in the travel and tourism industry in San Francisco and bed bugs are a realistic concern for all hotels. I could NOT find one bed bug report via any reviews nor did the Shilo Inn Rose Garden have any reports on the bed bug registry website. This was a major factor for myself. Hallelujah.

It doesn't matter if its a 5 star brand hotel, fact of the matter is... bed bugs have nothing to do with cleanliness. They travel folks, in peoples bags and they are extremely hard to get rid of. Preventative and proactive maintenance is essential.

I checked the mattress of our room in between the seams, where these nasty guys like to hide and even behind the headboard. No signs of infestation :) In Fact behind the headboard was extremely clean and the mattress was clean and in good condition.

The only big downfall is the carpet in room 218 is in dire need of replacement. It's beyond calling for carpet cleaning. I am not sure if all of the rooms carpet is the same, but it did set the mood of our first day there. We spent 9 nights and I am an avid clean fanatic. We didn't take off our socks.

I ultimately was willing to look beyond the dirtiness of the carpet because my main concern was not staying in a hotel that had bed bugs. You pick your battles...

I can only imagine how hard it is to keep the carpets clean, with the amount of rain and moisture on the streets and it getting constantly tracked in.

Oh and one more thing... Give front desk a break ppl!
Early ck ins are not guaranteed and certainly threatening to cxl your stay unless you get an early ck in... doesn't help. Good luck with a sold out city ;) Props to FD for being really nice and keeping composure to even really mean people.

Ta-da... Bye Shilo ((waving))

PS.. I gave cleanliness a "poor" ranking because of the condition of the carpet. Had nothing to do with your room attendants. They were GREAT and on top of it!

Room Tip: If you have disabilities or a senior, request a room on the main floor. There are no elevators. Let...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Narogs_SF
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Narogs_SF,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely appreciate hearing your feedback. We appreciate your choosing Shilo in 2011 and again recently and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a small hotel with minimal services. It did have a free breakfast with just the basics, like yogurt and cereal. We did not get the room we paid for in advance on Orbitz but they said they did not have any other rooms. That was disappointing but it was only one night so it wasn't too big of a deal. I was glad they had free parking, since the Clarion across the street charged for parking. The hotel is in a good location for getting around the Lloyd Center and the Rose Garden area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Nora C
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear Nora C.

Thank you for being our valued guest! We sincerely appreciate your choosing Shilo Inns and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Gary S.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked this room on a website that advertises good deals on "surprise" rooms. The Shilo Inn turned out to be a very good surprise indeed. It was concise tent to everywhere we wanted to go. The room was comfortable, clean and breakfast was provided. The staff was helpful and courteous. What more could you ask for.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Judithtbernard
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Judithtbernard,
I am glad to hear that your "surprise" was a good one. I hope you will consider staying with Shilo Inns in the future and just remember that we match the price of the major online websites (expedia, orbitz, etc). Thank you for staying with us.

Gary Sorrels

Reviewed January 28, 2013

My Mother and I booked the Shilo Inn for a weekend. We arrived early, and they didn't have any rooms available yet, so we decided to head to the Convention Center. The gentleman at the desk was very helpful in marking a map for us, and explaining how to get there. After finding all parking lots at the Convention Center FULL, we ended up parking at the hotel - and walking there. It's about a 3/4 mile walk to the Convention Center. If you have any trouble walking, we saw many hotels that were much closer to it.

When we checked in, we found our room to be spacious, and fairly clean. Everything definitely needs updating as the carpet is very worn, there are some stains on the bedding, but it does look like the housekeeping staff do the best they can with what they have to work with. I tried to plug my phone charger into the outlet, and had to hit "reset" about 4 times before I could get it to work. In the morning I tried to use the hair dryer, but couldn't get it to work at all. I tried hitting the "reset" buttons on the dryer and the outlet to no avail. We also had used the refrigerator in the room, but in the morning found sodas to be frozen nearly solid.

We took advantage of the free breakfast. There is not much selection. I decided to toast a bagel and eat something more substantial later. There is only one toaster, and I ended up with a line of other people waiting to toast theirs also. Mine finally popped up and was hardly toasted at all, but feeling bad for the people waiting - I decided to eat it "as is" and not make them wait any longer. I think they should look into getting multiple toasters as their main breakfast item is bagels.

Upon check out, my Mom mentioned to the clerk that the hair dryer in our room wasn't working (we thought it was polite to let them know). We were very shocked by the response of the clerk. He sort of laughed and said that it "does work". We re-iterated that it didn't, but he insisted that you have to hit "clear" and "reset" etc... and HE could get it to work. I told him that I tried that, and he still insisted we didn't do it right. He also implied that it was probably unplugged and we weren't smart enough to think of that. The truth of the matter is that they obviously have an electrical problem, because you shouldn't have to hit "reset" numerous times to get an outlet or dryer to work. It also sounds like it's a regular problem in all rooms, and that they have no intention of fixing it.

Lots of other hotels in the area are nicer, and would treat you with a lot more respect!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank DEBRA L
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear DEBRA L,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding regarding the electrical outlet reset. I also apologize that you felt a lack of respect from the clerk that you informed about the problem. I will discuss this with the desk team immediately to ensure that this does not reoccur.

Gary Sorrels