“Thank you Shilo Inn! Clean, quiet, perfect for our needs.”

Shilo Inn Rose Garden
Ranked #100 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This Portland trip was rather spontaneous so we feel very lucky to have found great accommodations at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden without a reservation. We walked in on a Sunday night at 4:30pm to a very professional and courteous young man who helped us right away. We got an upstairs room with King bed for about $100. Parking is free! Free parking is not the norm around the convention center or downtown.

The room was clean, tidy, and perfect for our needs. The bed was very comfortable. The A/C worked great. The shower was clean and we easily had hot water at 9am. The place was entirely quiet, no noise at all. The TV wasn't superb because there isn't satellite TV, just basic cable. Whatever. We didn't see the breakfast because there are SO many great breakfast spots in Portland, so I cannot comment on that. I see that a recent reviewer complained about mold and that would have really bothered me too. Clearly it has been taken care of. There was no odd smells at all. The room was spotless and smelled like...nothing.

I am SO glad that we stayed here. We had originally reservations at the EconoLodge just down the street. It was so horrible (and NOT that much cheaper at $80/night) that we just couldn't stay. Talk about smells! Wow. I have also recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza across the street, which is lovely. But it's considerably more expensive (at least >$30/night) plus $15/day for parking. If you need a business center, pool, fitness room, Satellite TV then maybe it's worth it. But not for us!
I recommend Shilo Inn! I am happy to now have a great place to stay in NE Portland!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MXJumpingBean
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear MXJumpingBean,

Thank you for being our valued guest at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to comment on your stay. I am ecstatic to read that your experience was positive and that you appreciated the convenient location, free parking and your clean tidy room! We look forward to your next visit to Portland and another opportunity to be of service to you.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel is very reasonably priced and within about a 10 minute walk to the Oregon Convention Center. The closest nicer restaurant was in the Crowne Plaza directly across the street. There is a 7-Eleven on the next block for miscellaneous. On my walk to the convention center I passed a Wendy's, Denny's, Burgerville (local hamburger place), and a Starbucks. The neighborhood seemed nice enough, but I wouldn't want to have my wife walking to the convention center after dark by herself. The Shilo Inn was clean and nice enough, but I felt like it needed updated. If I had paid over a $100, I would have been disappointed. It's a good make due place to sleep and not a place where you want to hang out and relax in the room.

Room Tip: If you stay on the 2nd floor, you have to cary your luggage (no elevator).
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Rick P,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely appreciate hearing your comments!

Thank you for choosing Shilo Inns and we look forward to another opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Reasonable rate and generally comfortable accommodations not far from downtown and associated attractions. Tiny bathroom required some contortions to enter room and still close the door. Continental breakfast inspired me to go to nearby Wendy's for breakfast for the duration of my stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The building is permeated with mold. Hits you instantly as the first experience when you walk in the lobby, continues into the hallway, and was still present in the room. Bed smelled of mold. By the third day I had a headache, developed a fever, had inflamed sinuses and was nauseated. Cleared up within hours of checking out.

Booked two queen bed room through Expedia months prior to my stay, pre-paid, with a guaranteed late arrival. when I checked in (at 6pm, earliest checkin was 4pm) I was told no two queen bed rooms were available. I was offered a single King and a sleeper sofa, which was unacceptable, and was given a room described as two queen beds but they were two full size beds. Room was set up for two guests, we had to request extra towels, glasses, coffee mugs, etc. to accommodate all three of us.

Faucet in the tub/shower nearly came off. Operable but just barely.

No elevator.

Minimal, skimpy continental breakfast.

Room Tip: No elevator to the second floor. If you have alot of luggage or have difficulty with stairs, ask fo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SocialTraveler85
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear SocialTraveler85,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize for your experience.

The property is recovering from a pin size leak in a main hot water line under the building. This leak was so small that it went undetected. I apologize that this affected your enjoyment of the property.

Our Portland Rose Garden suites hotel offers rooms with only king or queen size beds.

I would be happy to offer some sort of resolution for your inconvenience if you wish to contact me by phone. Please feel free to contact me at the property at anytime.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

It was our first visit to Portland, my husband & I arrived late in the PM. Not knowing when we'd arrive, we found ourselves in the Convention District across from the Shilo. Walking in off the street, we found the staff to be excellent, very friendly and helpful. Our room on the 2nd floor was quiet, the room clean. We were looking for "simple, no frills", and found the beds were comfortable, the desk convenient and the air conditioner quiet. Happily breakfast was plentiful and the parking free. Leaving our car at the hotel (free all day!) the front desk recommended the All Day On/Off ticket on the trolley lines, pointed us in the right direction with lots of site seeing recommendations. Our first trip to Portland was great and we'd definitely stay at the Shilo again.

Room Tip: Stay on 2nd floor. Go early to breakfast to grab a seat
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear KitsBay,

Thank you for your review and being our valued guest. I sincerely appreciate reading your comments and will pass them along to the Rose Garden team.

We look forward to your next stay and appreciate your choosing Shilo Inn Rose Garden.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

My family (Husband and two daughters 3 years and 1 year) just spent 3 nights in this motel. We were given a 2nd floor room, so after packing all the stuff one would need for three nights with two small children up a flight of stairs we entered our room which had a horrible smell of urine. It was late, and we had just packed our sleeping children up to the room with all our stuff, so we opened the window only to find that we did not have a screen! Not all the safe when you have a three year old with you. Opening the window helped with the smell so we decided to set our stuff up and deal with the room in the morning. When my husband pushed the bed against the wall so our three year old would roll off we found a whole trash cans worth of garbage under the bed. Hot Cheetos, a bag from said Cheetos, used tissues and a myriad of other things. I went to set up the playpen and the carpet had obviously not been cleaned/vacuumed in a long time. Since my baby is just starting to walk, she had to spend the entire time in the play pen (we brought from home) because I would not let her down on the floor. During the time of our stay it was over 100 degrees in Portland, so we HAD to turn on the air conditioner...and what do you know the urine smell returns. Someone had urinated in our A/C. Fun times. We told the man at the front desk and he discounted us $10 for our entire stay. I think in your "Recent Renovation" you skipped over room 220! Horrible stay, dirty and we won't be back.

Room Tip: There is not swimming pool or fitness center at this hotel, but you are allowed to use the facilitie...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Katy B
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Dear Katy B,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for your experience.

I am deeply concerned about the items you mention and am currently investigating further with the Rose Garden team. I would like an opportunity to resolve this satisfactorily and invite you to contact me personally for further resolution. Please contact the hotel at your earliest convenience and they will provide you the necessary contact information.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I just spent 4 nights there. It was very nice. Clean rooms, plenty of hot water, close to everything. Like some reviewers have mentioned a little noisy. If the people above you walk "heavy" you will hear them. I sugget you get a top floor room so you will be the "heavy" walker. No frills, but if you need a nice clean place to rest after a full day of fun for a very good price, I highly recommend this place. We would stay again if back in Portland. Oh, the bathrooms are very small, but that was not a big deal. If you are a XL type person you might have some trouble.

Room Tip: Get second floor room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Howell D
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Dear Howell D,

Thank you for being our guest at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely appreciate your patronage and review. We look forward to serving you again in the future.