“Fair deal”

Ranked #98 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Klamath Falls
“Fair deal”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Reasonable rate and generally comfortable accommodations not far from downtown and associated attractions. Tiny bathroom required some contortions to enter room and still close the door. Continental breakfast inspired me to go to nearby Wendy's for breakfast for the duration of my stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Washington state
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The building is permeated with mold. Hits you instantly as the first experience when you walk in the lobby, continues into the hallway, and was still present in the room. Bed smelled of mold. By the third day I had a headache, developed a fever, had inflamed sinuses and was nauseated. Cleared up within hours of checking out.

Booked two queen bed room through Expedia months prior to my stay, pre-paid, with a guaranteed late arrival. when I checked in (at 6pm, earliest checkin was 4pm) I was told no two queen bed rooms were available. I was offered a single King and a sleeper sofa, which was unacceptable, and was given a room described as two queen beds but they were two full size beds. Room was set up for two guests, we had to request extra towels, glasses, coffee mugs, etc. to accommodate all three of us.

Faucet in the tub/shower nearly came off. Operable but just barely.

No elevator.

Minimal, skimpy continental breakfast.

Room Tip: No elevator to the second floor. If you have alot of luggage or have difficulty with stairs, ask fo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SocialTraveler85
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear SocialTraveler85,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize for your experience.

The property is recovering from a pin size leak in a main hot water line under the building. This leak was so small that it went undetected. I apologize that this affected your enjoyment of the property.

Our Portland Rose Garden suites hotel offers rooms with only king or queen size beds.

I would be happy to offer some sort of resolution for your inconvenience if you wish to contact me by phone. Please feel free to contact me at the property at anytime.

Gary Sorrels

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2012

It was our first visit to Portland, my husband & I arrived late in the PM. Not knowing when we'd arrive, we found ourselves in the Convention District across from the Shilo. Walking in off the street, we found the staff to be excellent, very friendly and helpful. Our room on the 2nd floor was quiet, the room clean. We were looking for "simple, no frills", and found the beds were comfortable, the desk convenient and the air conditioner quiet. Happily breakfast was plentiful and the parking free. Leaving our car at the hotel (free all day!) the front desk recommended the All Day On/Off ticket on the trolley lines, pointed us in the right direction with lots of site seeing recommendations. Our first trip to Portland was great and we'd definitely stay at the Shilo again.

Room Tip: Stay on 2nd floor. Go early to breakfast to grab a seat
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear KitsBay,

Thank you for your review and being our valued guest. I sincerely appreciate reading your comments and will pass them along to the Rose Garden team.

We look forward to your next stay and appreciate your choosing Shilo Inn Rose Garden.

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Reviewed August 5, 2012

My family (Husband and two daughters 3 years and 1 year) just spent 3 nights in this motel. We were given a 2nd floor room, so after packing all the stuff one would need for three nights with two small children up a flight of stairs we entered our room which had a horrible smell of urine. It was late, and we had just packed our sleeping children up to the room with all our stuff, so we opened the window only to find that we did not have a screen! Not all the safe when you have a three year old with you. Opening the window helped with the smell so we decided to set our stuff up and deal with the room in the morning. When my husband pushed the bed against the wall so our three year old would roll off we found a whole trash cans worth of garbage under the bed. Hot Cheetos, a bag from said Cheetos, used tissues and a myriad of other things. I went to set up the playpen and the carpet had obviously not been cleaned/vacuumed in a long time. Since my baby is just starting to walk, she had to spend the entire time in the play pen (we brought from home) because I would not let her down on the floor. During the time of our stay it was over 100 degrees in Portland, so we HAD to turn on the air conditioner...and what do you know the urine smell returns. Someone had urinated in our A/C. Fun times. We told the man at the front desk and he discounted us $10 for our entire stay. I think in your "Recent Renovation" you skipped over room 220! Horrible stay, dirty and we won't be back.

Room Tip: There is not swimming pool or fitness center at this hotel, but you are allowed to use the facilitie...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Katy B
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Katy B,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for your experience.

I am deeply concerned about the items you mention and am currently investigating further with the Rose Garden team. I would like an opportunity to resolve this satisfactorily and invite you to contact me personally for further resolution. Please contact the hotel at your earliest convenience and they will provide you the necessary contact information.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I just spent 4 nights there. It was very nice. Clean rooms, plenty of hot water, close to everything. Like some reviewers have mentioned a little noisy. If the people above you walk "heavy" you will hear them. I sugget you get a top floor room so you will be the "heavy" walker. No frills, but if you need a nice clean place to rest after a full day of fun for a very good price, I highly recommend this place. We would stay again if back in Portland. Oh, the bathrooms are very small, but that was not a big deal. If you are a XL type person you might have some trouble.

Room Tip: Get second floor room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Howell D
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Howell D,

Thank you for being our guest at the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely appreciate your patronage and review. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2012

On a recent trip to Portland for a conference at the Oregon Convention Centre, I decided to try out the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. It's a small hotel -- only 44 rooms -- but my room was very recently renovated, with a reasonable sized bathroom, plenty of clothes-hanging space, comfortable working desk and air conditioning.

The hotel is three small blocks walk from the convention centre, which makes it a great choice for conferences. The MAX light rail line offers free public transport from the convention centre into the city centre.

The bed was King-sized, and very comfortable. My room, on the second floor, facing the car park, was also very quiet, which is convenient too.

There's no fitness centre within the hotel, but it seems as though guests are welcome to use those of the Crowne Plaza, which is just across the road.

A simple continental breakfast is available free of charge -- things like bagels, cereal, etc.

I'd be very happy to recommend this hotel for anyone needing an excellent room close to the convention centre.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms will have less ground-level noise. The location is reasonably quiet, so all rooms ar...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank chrisjrn
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear chrisjrn,

Thank you for your recent stay and review of the Shilo Inn Rose Garden. I sincerely appreciate hearing your comments.

I am pleased to pass along your observations to the team and ecstatic to see the word excellent mentioned in regards to the staff. I will thank them personally for a job well done.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Portland.

Northborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Unlike another reviewer's experience when attending the Barbershop Convention from 7/3/12 through 7/8/12, my husband and I were very happy with the accommodations at Shilo Inn. I will admit I was skeptical because of the very reasonable nightly rate ($89 vs. $150 + at other hotels in the area). However, we found a fully renovated small hotel with nice room and a great bed. Room contained a small refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker as well as a full-sized iron and ironing board. The big plus was the availability of coffee, juice, cereal, bagels etc. in a small breakfast room - all gratis. Jason, the manager, was extremely pleasant and helpful and allowed us to stay in the room past check-out time. The location is also very convenient to the Convention Center and the Rose Garden.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room when we booked on-line and that is what we got. The manager remembered th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carribeancats
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Carribeancats,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely appreciate your taking the time.

I was ecstatic to hear your comments and am excited to pass them along to the team. I will personally thank Jason for his customer service.

Thank you for being our valued guest and we look forward to serving you again in the future.