“Comfortable and a money saver”

Portland Value Inn & Suites
Ranked #121 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Palm Springs, California
“Comfortable and a money saver”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

We are a mature couple from Ca; needing a weekly rate. We found this place to be a perfect location and (Nox) the big guy at the desk was a great help the whole week. In fact, his helper ken was good too and the room cleaning girl was kind. It was quiet and safe.The linens could sure use an update, I felt sorry that they didn't have better. Maybe next time they will. We would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank suec18

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

I was beyond disgusted with the lack of professionalism of the manager who was rude and then tried to offer me a discount even told me he wouldn't charge tax. The room was one of those upstairs ones near the front and all I can say is the pictures do not look anything like this place.

The room smelled horrible and the carpet has dried food rubbed into it and the bedding had cigarette burns. If you are anything close to a light sleeper this is not the place to be since they mainly cater to drunks and derelicts who stay up till the early morning partying.

I wish I would have seen the reviews of this place beforehand because I would have avoided this nightmare of a motel. Don't bother asking for a refund once you check-in they won't refund you and other guests that were there the two nights me and my lady stayed said the other rooms are just as smelly and dirty.

Room Tip: There is no best room here
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JJeffs

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

Cave Junction, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2010

There was grease on the floor in the kitchen, you could see all the grime on the window. The carpet needed to be vaccumed. We unloaded every thing looked around and reloaded it all...we should have looked first. All I could think of was cockroaches>
They charged for a full night insisting we had been there 15 min. She did say that she would vaccumn...shouldn't have have been done already? We are Pastors, visiting a church member in the hospital. We did go and rent a good room at Aladdin Motor Inn, clean and comfortable. Although we have reciets for both motels there was nothing we could do to be refunded... they should be ashamed!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Zoeduffy
Portland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2010

Hey filmmakers! We used Portland Value Inn for our location to shoot a short drama one weekend. It was inexpensive and accommodating for our needs. You might picture a parallel universe version of Melrose Place.
Don't be intimidated by the appearance of the giant bald manager behind the desk, he's nice as pie! He swapped out furniture for us and was really helpful as our point of contact.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Pacific Northwest
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

I was in need a place to stay while they tented the condo complex where I was renting. The place is huge and fumigating would take two weeks. I looked for a hotel/motel with weekly rates and decided against comfort inn and the like as the rates were high and I was on a budget assigned by the condo board for relocation during the tenting. Well, long story short, I found this place. As of 08/08, the rates where $51 a night or $230.00 per 5 day 'week' including tax.

At $230, I feel they were overcharging by $229.98 a week. I'd give two cents for the rooms. They had taken a reservation from me for a ground floor non-smoking room. They did not honor the reservations and I found while I was there that they took but completely ignored reservations.

Old mismatched furniture, carpets with dirt permanently ground in. The stench of cigarette smoke was overwhelming. Roaches. The stove (units include a kitchenette) was something that looked like it had been salvage from a junk yard after 2-3 years of being exposed to the elements. Several wall outlets didn't work. All the light bulbs where very dim compact florescent bulbs of the lowest wattage and gave the room the appearance of a cave. The dim lighting was perhaps a good thing, considering how nasty the place was. Complaining about the non-working items in the room, or quality of the room got nothing but nastiness from the staff. Talking to the owner in San Francisco got even ruder treatment.

The place does feature an ice machine that actually works and a pool. A Chinese restaurant/bar was next door with food till 2am and a $5 lunch combo that was great. While they did have working high speed Wifi internet (WEP encrypted) and cable, the cable included no pay channels, not even the mainstay of most motels of HBO. The wireless suffered from a lack of sufficient repeaters, so the signal would frequently fade. They staff suggested using my laptop 'outside' of my room. Squatting on the sidewalk, I presume.

Give it a pass unless you have no choice.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Checking in
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank aalper
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2008

We came into town after a cross country trip and were really trying to save money since we'd been stranded in Colorado for 4 extra days. The front desk was nice, but that is about all I can say for the place. Oh, they also allowed pets, which was a necessity. The place was a dump though and had we not been in dire need on short notice we'd never stay there. Shady area, shady neighbors (they rent long term rooms), and just an all around creepy feel to it. I would not leave my wife alone on the property. Bathroom had spackle on the ceiling that had never been sanded down or even repainted, holes in the carpet, cigarette smoke smell, cigarette holes in the sheets, dirty carpets, horrible exterior, trash outside the rooms. We will never stay here again.

• Liked — Late checkout, pets allowed
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank whoisbonyboy
Central Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

This place was horrible. When we arrived at 2:00 p.m. on a Saturday they said they didn’t have any rooms available because they were cleaning the carpets in all of the rooms. Who cleans carpets in a motel on a Saturday? Anyway, we appreciated that they did because they still smelled pretty bad. We checked in with the front desk who was helpful and then saw our room. Two people, two beds just under $70 (?not exactly cheap?). There was a bullet hole in the back bedroom window and what looks to be another in the wall. The bottom units appear to be occupied by “long term” tenants. The bedding smelled and there are numerous cigarette burns throughout. We were aiming for a very cheap stay but we will never go back. The safety latch lock on the door was broken off leaving only the key card lock and the phone was broken. We got in late and were watching TV, not that loud, but late, around 1:45AM when we got a knock at the door from a very intimidating, extended stay, resident who was very upset. We were sure he was going to kick down the door if I didn’t open it. This whole stay was pretty scary for a couple of dudes from a small town. We slept in our sleeping bags and woke up early. Our tub was already full with about one and a half feet of sewage, I assume, backed up from the adjacent room. We just got out of there. I hope this was helpful!

• Liked — Nothing, maybe the location.
  • Disliked — It's hard to pick what was the worst?
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank 8133
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Hospitality Inn
Quality Inn Tigard
#5 of 9 in Tigard
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland - Tigard
Extended Stay America - Portland - Tigard

Been to Portland Value Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!