“Comfortable and Luxurious”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel many, many times and it never disappoints. The rooms are spacious, luxurious, and very comfortable. The beds are a dream, especially with your choice of pillows. The bathroom is large, well-lighted, beautifully appointed, although I'm not crazy about the new pump-bottle body soap and shampoo dispensers. Staff is always great; evening wine hour is fun and crowded; the restaurant is excellent for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I'll stay at this hotel again every time I go to Portland.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brownie413
Write a ReviewReviews (3,198)

Reviewed February 27, 2011

Loved this hotel. Monaco is downtown and close to lots of great restaurants--we didn't even rent a car the first few days we were there. We took the rail from the airport--there is a stop about two blocks away. Streetcar is also a walkable distance and cheap/free, depending on distance. Valet parking is expensive--33 bucks a day. Free internet if you are a "Kimpton Member", which is free also. Service was friendly and wonderful. I asked the front desk clerk about her vitamin packets and she offered to give me a few. Check-in and out was quick. We even checked in early and checked out late-no worries. Lobby was beautiful and clean-guests seemed to enjoy hanging out by the lobby fireplace in the morning, having coffee and reading. Great hotel-would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank keelyandlou
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights with the intent of seeing the city and relaxing.First time at a Kimpton property, and definitely won't be my last! Staff was extremely friendly and helpful... recommended cool spots for dinner, directions, etc. Evening wine reception was heavily attended and something I enjoyed, and free. Bicycles and gear available for free($5 donation for helmet suggested). Pets not only allowed, but welcomed with a board in the entry with their names upon checkin! My room was small, but decor was modern and fun, and bed and linens were high-end and comfy. Internet was free if you joined their loyalty club(no charge to join)Location PERFECT if you want to wander downtown, a block from the MAX, 2 blocks from the waterfront. I was on foot, and this worked fine. I took the MAX from the airport($2.35), no problem. Robes were animal print, not the normal white...teddy bear on my bed...everything about this place was fun and welcoming, and even allowed me a late checkout with no problem! I look forward to staying at another Kimpton property for sure!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Marne J
Reviewed February 23, 2011

My stay at Hotel Monaco was absoluetly PERFECT. They have thought of EVERYTHING imaginable. The room was amazing. I suggest a corner room at tree level. I stayed in room 207. I was there on business and felt like I was on vacation. I didn't go without a thing. Miss your pet? Don't worry you can check out a gold fish to keep you company in your room. Don't have time to mess with printing your boarding pass? Don't worry they will deliver it to your door along with the layout of your next destinations airport. Need a robe? There are two adorable animal print ones in the closet. The room was extremely clean even the windows that went from floor to ceiling. I highly recomment staying at Hotel Monaco. I travel to Portland 3 days a month and will never stay anywhere else again. Enjoy!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank trf03
TKeleherPDX, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2011

Thank you so much for your feedback! We look forward to your next stay here at the Monaco in Portland!

Warm Regards,

The Guest Service Staff at the Monaco Portland

Reviewed February 22, 2011

The Monaco in Portland is a great hotel and it all starts with the super friendly staff you meet at check-in. The check-in process was easy and the front desk team was full of suggestions to make our visit even more enjoyable. Our room was great - a queen/queen suite on the 10th floor. It was a little small for the four of us, but it worked well for our needs. The room was very nicely appointed and was very clean. The beds were quite comfortable. If I had to have one criticism it would be that there is a fair amount of street noise. Given the prime location of the hotel in the heart of Portland I think you should expect some noise, so it's more something to be aware of rather than a problem. The reception each evening was great with a good selection of local beer. The food at Red Star was wonderful. All in all it was a great visit. We'll be back -- hopefully soon!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We traveled to Portland for a birthday bash. We were looking for a hotel to accomodate 4 people per room comfortably. We could not have choose better. This hotel is so close to shopping, great food and entertainment, and much more. I can't wait to stay here again. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone. Plus they are pet friendly :) Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 14, 2011

From the friendly greeting by the doorman to the smiles on the front desk staff, (and the upgraded rooms), we knew that this was going to be a great hotel to stay on our weekend trip to Portland. We asked about restaurants and I said that the restaurant we wanted to go to had no reservations available, we were told that they would try to get us in. By the time we reached our room the phone was ringing and it was the front desk letting us know we had a reservation!

Our king suite was great - the bed extremely comfortable. Wine is served in the parlor every evening and coffee in the mornings. There was always some kind of entertainment during the cocktail hour - a dog psychic, tarot card reader which just showed that thought is really put into everything they do for their guests at the Monaco.

We were so pleased with our stay that I'm sure we will be back. The Portland Monaco has set the bar pretty darn high for their other locations!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends