“Absolutely Amazing”

Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Spanaway, Washington
“Absolutely Amazing”
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We traveled to Portland for a birthday bash. We were looking for a hotel to accomodate 4 people per room comfortably. We could not have choose better. This hotel is so close to shopping, great food and entertainment, and much more. I can't wait to stay here again. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone. Plus they are pet friendly :) Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
Boise, ID
Reviewed February 14, 2011

From the friendly greeting by the doorman to the smiles on the front desk staff, (and the upgraded rooms), we knew that this was going to be a great hotel to stay on our weekend trip to Portland. We asked about restaurants and I said that the restaurant we wanted to go to had no reservations available, we were told that they would try to get us in. By the time we reached our room the phone was ringing and it was the front desk letting us know we had a reservation!

Our king suite was great - the bed extremely comfortable. Wine is served in the parlor every evening and coffee in the mornings. There was always some kind of entertainment during the cocktail hour - a dog psychic, tarot card reader which just showed that thought is really put into everything they do for their guests at the Monaco.

We were so pleased with our stay that I'm sure we will be back. The Portland Monaco has set the bar pretty darn high for their other locations!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 11, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco with a friend over MLK, Jr. day weekend. From the moment we stepped into the hotel, we were completely charmed. They upgraded us to a suite, gave us a coupon for the minibar, and helped us decide where to find dinner at 10:15PM on a Thursday night in Portland! The concierge remembered us and was incredibly friendly and helpful all weekend long.

The room itself was stunning. Beautifully decorated and spacious, one of the most aesthetically pleasant rooms I've ever slept in. The fitness center was adequate and stocked with towels, water bottles, and headphones - little touches that showed thought for the guests. Everything was always clean. They offered a free wine hour in the evenings and a coffee, tea and chai bar in the AM.

Dogs are welcome in the hotel, but there were no odors or fur to be seen.

While there, we also went to the adjoining restaurant, Red Star. They had a great happy hour and delicious appetizers, but we did not stay for dinner.

The location was great, very easy to walk, drive, or hop on public transportation.

All in all, a fantastic experience!

TIP - Pay attention to the Kimpton Hotels twitter...they have a password each month that earns you upgrades, valet parking, etc.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2011

My favorite hotel, hands down. The staff is amazing, the rooms elegant and romantic, the decor throughout classic and just unconventional enough to make it interesting. Everything is calculated to delight the mind and heart. Whenever I bid on Priceline for Portland, I hold my breath--hoping, praying for The Monaco. Sometimes, I'm lucky enough to get it...

• Stayed February 2011
Vancouver, British Columbia
Reviewed February 5, 2011

The hotel had a sort of old feel to it. Not in a bad way but in a sort of classic way (i.e. the hardwood floors in the elevators). The beds were very comfortable. The rooms weren't especially roomy but they had a seperate area for sitting and a pull out bed in the couch in this area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank tylervancouver
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 5, 2011

I have stayed in most of Portland's hotels, as I come here a lot for business. I am familiar with Kimpton Hotels and Hotel Monaco's from other cities. But I must say that this one is over the top. The rooms are great, the common areas great as well. The wine hour is great way to wind down the day and write up my notes. But what made it most amazing was the staff. Everybody was trained to be as helpful as they could be, right down to the valet parking staff member who took my coffee drink from me and put it in my drink holder as I placed my coat in my car. The location is perfect too. I'll definitely make this my hotel in Portland from now on.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank HubinSeattle
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed February 3, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel with excellent rooms and great staff. Weather was a bit cold in Portland, well its still winter. Since we lost Supersonics once a while we drive here to watch the Game cheering for the TrailBlazers. Best part of oregeon is if you take note. No tax.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business