“Wonderful Property” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Wonderful Property”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

Just returned from a long weekend stay at the Monaco. This is a very comfortable hotel with a cheerful, accommodating staff of professionals. Timmy, the mascot Labrador, is a big plus, along with his four legged guests. A nice touch if you miss dogs left back home! The evening wine party is cozy in a nice lounge with a piano and roaring fire. I was lucky to get a beautiful suite on the top floor. Quiet, roomy and very luxurious without being stuffy, with a great bathroom. The heavy, animal print robes are nice, and I had a cute teddy bear as a guest for my stay. The location is perfect. Two blocks from a MAX stop from the airport and right in the middle of everything downtown and a short walk to the Pearl and NW areas. There are other nice hotels in Portland, but if you can get a good rate at the Monaco it will surely not disappoint!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
Boise
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

My recent stay @ the Hotel Monaco was a fantastic experience. All I have to say is SERVICE! Each and every employee was generous in their greetings & genuine interest in how our day was. I was really lucky to have stayed during the holiday season; the lobby's tree is beautiful. The atmosphere is relaxing but elegant. It's clean and comfortable. Never mind that they allow dogs (which ranks super high in my book) ... but the fact they have a wine & beer reception EVERY evening. Come on… now that's worth a shot @ this hotel. I found the access to be very easy for driving in or around the city. Everything is within walking distance & getting a cab is a breeze. Be sure to ask anyone @ the hotel if you’re looking for something specific, if they don't know they will find someone who does. Thumbs up for the business traveler, leisure traveler or traveler with pets. I will definitely stay again @ The Hotel Monaco!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2010

My company had booked a corporate rate with this hotel so I didn't have a choice of where to stay in Portland for my first ever visit. They chose the Hotel Monaco for me and I'm really glad they did. I was blown away by the Hotel's service, style and comfort.
Check in was quick and friendly. They took my Kimpton number down and associated it with the room (which my travel agent neglected to do) and proceeded to give me a wonderful corner room not too many floors up (just high enough for a view but not too high that the elevator stops too many times on the way up to the floor). The girl at the front desk was so friendly I thought she was genuinely into me and possibly going to ask me out to dinner (she didn't though). The room was just the right size and the large bathroom was superbly designed and spotlessly clean.
The second night I stayed I got out of work early enough to partake in the complimentary early evening wine service offered in the lobby. A very nice touch many big name hotels would never offer. The wine selection was basic but good. As an animal lover, I appreciated the little jar they put on the table beside the wine service for optional donations to a local animal charity.
At the end of my stay checkout was a breeze and the valet pleasantly insisted on ensuring I had directions to the airport and a gas station on the way even though I mentioned I had a GPS.

A-plus service

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Traveler34MD
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2010

We stayed for 4 nights over the Thanksgiving holiday. My husband's family is from Portland and we wanted a central location to all the relatives. Hotel Monaco provided a unique experience. We had a corner room which offered two hugh windows. Even when the days were overcast, we had a tremendous amount of light, quite a treat in a city with so much rain. The day after Thanksgiving, we heard Christmas carols from outside our window. When we looked out, we were able to view the entire Portland Holiday Parade from our window.
The downstairs lobby, complete with fireplace, offered a wonderful atmosphere to have a moment of relaxation, while we drank our morning coffee.
The staff were all outstanding.
I highly recommend this hotel!

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

I recently stayed at the Hotel Monaco and was very happy with the friendly and warm service in every department. The decor is fun and the lobby area was beautifully decorated for the holidays. The front desk staff were helpful, the restaurant had a happy hour with snacks to die for. The food and service was 5-star. I would definitely recommend a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2010

From the moment of even approaching the front doors I felt as though the staff was waiting solely for me. I was greeted with a smile from the moment I was in their sites, as they welcomely opened the front doors, as I walked up the corridor to the front desk, and from each encounter thereafter. The staff are sincere in their willingness to help, knowledgeable, and professional. The room was very comfortable, the bed was even more comfortable, and it was extremely clean (and I'm a bit of a neat-freak). I didn't have the chance to enjoy their food, but did share a nice bottle of wine. I arrived early and they got me settled in an available room, no problem. I went out to explore the city and came back a couple of hours later to a friendly amenity...a beautiful Japanese Fighting Fish. It made the room even more lively and was sad to leave him/her behind. I did not have a pet, but they were lots of dogs there that were made just as welcome as their human counterparts.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2010

We came in to Portland to celebrate my daughters 21st birthday. She's from Montana so going to Portland was special treat and the Hotel Monaco was a delightful, centrally located hotel that offered everything we could have wanted for our weekend stay. It was the start of the Thanksgiving weekend so extended families met there and the lobby was full of happy memories being made the evening we joined the hosted wine tasting. The rooms were very comfortable and cheery. Portland is pretty quiet Thanksgiving morning but the concierge had a list of restaurants offering breakfasts waiting for her guests’ before we could leave the front door. Tim, the Lobby Lab, a very well behaved dog, was there to receive a pet from his visitors and set the mood of an quiet dignified hotel expressly there to see that their visitors are well taken care of and that every need look after.