Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Free cancellation until 05/31
$199
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $225/night.

Sentinel(Portland)
$186
$212
$186
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $210/night.

$159
$143
Shilo Inns Portland Airport(Portland)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 06/01
$199
$193
Travelocity
3,270 results
All reviewsred starking suitewine hourhappy houranimal print robessocial hourwine receptionliving roommini barevery eveningvoodoo donutsheart of downtownwine tastingvalet staffthe pearlsitting areafood carts
Reviewed September 10, 2007

This is the first time my husband and I have stayed at a Monaco hotel (or even a Kimpton Hotel). The staff, from the front desk and concierge to the porters and valets, were friendly and helpful from the minute we stepped in the door and throughout our three-night stay. Some reviewers have complained about the size of the rooms, but we found that the eclectic, fun design made up for any lack of square footage. The parking was a bit exorbitant ($29/night), but the valet service was impeccable and friendly. It was slightly disappointing that breakfast wasn't included, but the food in the attached Red Star Tavern was quite good. We had one lunch and one breakfast there. We loved our stay so much at the Monaco that we were happy we'd already booked at the Monaco in Seattle, where you will find a similar review from us. If you're heading to Portland, check out Bijou Cafe for a wonderful breakfast, and for a splurge, go to Higgins for dinner--my husband and I are still dreaming about the caprese salad and zucchini fritters we had there.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mmdoherty
Reviewed September 5, 2007

We are having an excellent stay at the Monaco. I am writing this review while connected through the hotel's complimentary wifi. Other niceties include a complimentary happy hour, great location, roomy rooms, and a super-friendly staff.

Being sensitive to noise, I am always concerned when booking a hotel that we will hear our neighbor's every move. The Monaco was quiet all around. There was a little street noise, but it IS, after all, located in the middle of the downtown of a major city. If you are concerned about it, do as we did and request a room on a higher floor. With enough notice, they'll put you on the 9th or 10th and you'll be fine. The rooms, while designed in an Alice-in-Wonderland-like motif of mismatched colors and patterns, were clean and comfy.

Located just a couple blocks from public transportation and a short walk to the Pearl District, the Monaco is a solid choice.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank bsc2412
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Hotel Monaco is not your typical hotel. Avant garde decor, pet friendly, and very service oriented. They have a cocktail reception in the "living room" each evening. Coffee service in morning.
Service makes it stand out, however. Every request was granted, including a wonderful woman (would have gotten her name, but I didn't realize until later what she had done) who raced up to the business center with a credit card to help me get online when I called the operator in frustration. Unfortunately I passed her in/out of the elevator before I realize where she was rushing to!
Check their website for "hot dates/Great rates" and get a suite for half price on certain days.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank bossafin
Reviewed August 20, 2007

We just arrived home from a spontaneous weekend trip to Portland and could not have been happier with our experience at the Monaco. True to the description on the hotel's own website, the hotel's decor is fresh and fun. We arrived too early to check into our room (it was only 9 am) but were able to park in the hotel's garage and have our bags stored. The valet attendants were friendly and very helpful, offering pre-printed cards with directions to some of the more popular destinations. The front desk gave us a map of downtown and showed us the way to the Saturday Market. It was just a short walk away. The ethnic food, amazing artisans, and music were a treat. We returned to the hotel after and checked in to our room. While my husband was taking care of the details, I relaxed in the lobby with our two children. While we were waiting, our 4-year-old was asked if she would like a coloring book. What we received was even more of a treat--her own small backpack with the coloring book, crayons, a magnetic picture frame to color, a soapy duck sponge and more. The lobby decor was so inviting and comfortable. Our hotel room was spacious and comfortable. The sitting area was seperated from the two full size beds with sliding French doors. The decor was colorful and fun and instantly put me in a good mood. The beds were extra long and the bedding was high quality. I never once heard other guests while we were in our room. This hotel describes itself as "pet friendly," but that does not do justice to how pets are treated. From Art, the resident yellow lab (Director of Pet Relations), to the sign in the lobby listing Art's special guests to the helpful directions to the "pet restrooms" there is no doubt that your pet will be treated like royalty. At the complimentary evening wine social, the lobby was packed with well behaved pets and their owners. We found this to be fun, but we like dogs. It would be something to consider if this is not your style. We did not bring a pet and their was no evidence of anything furry on our floor or in our room in case I have made it sound like dogs over run the place.

The restaurant adjacent to the lobby, "Red Star," is also worth mentioning. The staff was very helpful, the food was wonderful, and the restaurant was extremely family friendly. Our server was exceptional, the courses were timed perfectly, and the atmosphere lively. Our youngest daughter ordered the "Build Your Own Pizza" and it was a hit. She cirlced the toppings she wanted on her own order sheet, which was part of the fun. While we were eating our salads, her crust arrived with her chosen toppings and she got to work "building" her pizza. Since this is when her tolerance for sitting still in restaurants starts to get tested, this was perfect timing. This also created excitement and anticipation about her dinner that the usual kids menu food rarely provides. Our "adult" food was pretty darn good, too.

Overall, this hotel and its location exceeded our expectations. The Hotel Monaco had the unique combination of exceptional amenities and a fun vibrant atmosphere.

As an aside--We opted to rent a car at the airport because we wanted to spend one of our days at the coast, but the hotel is within walking distance of so many fun activities. The Trimet bus/trolley system can also get you just about anywhere.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank kalispellmom
Reviewed August 10, 2007

From my initial arrival and check in to the moment I checked out I was treated as a valued guest - much appreciated in this age of faceless travel.

From Valet to the Hotel Dog, Art, everyone is smiling and happy to serve. Housekeeping was less than stellar the last two days of the five I was there (no bath mat laid over the tub, robe not rehung in the closet, flowers in the room were removed) but other than that and some slow valet service during their busiest hours The Hotel Monaco is absolutely stellar.

Centrally located, an amazing King Monaco Suite decorated eclectically but elegantly, SUPER COMFORTABLE BED and luxury bedding, I loved my stay.

The room service selections are original and delicious, I ordered dinner in all five nights since I was exhausted each night from the training I was in town for. Morning breakfast ordered the night before always arrived exactly on time and was served by a team of cheerful waiters (and this was at 6am each morning!)

Since I will return for more training in Portland I will also return to the Hotel Monaco. Why would I stay anywhere else?

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo