“Nicest pet friendly hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #3 of 139 Hotels in Portland
bozeman, mt
“Nicest pet friendly hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

This is a great hotel, especially if you're traveling with a pet. We stayed here three nights with our small dog. Our room was quite small, but it's an older hotel, so it's to be expected. Very comfortable bed and large bathroom. The lobby is large and comfortable, with several conversation areas and a fireplace. Decor is upscale and attractive. The staff were all youngish, full of energy and enthusiasm, and very welcoming. Valet parking is well worth it, especially if the weather's rainy.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

This hotel is exactly what you would expect from a Hotel Monaco: Lots of fun furniture, fabrics, and colors throughout; clean rooms and quality linens; and a great wine reception in the evening; and a friendly, helpful staff. We booked a king suite for our stay. It added an extra $150 or so to our bill for five nights. While I didn't see a smaller room to compare it with, I can say that we had PLENTY of space to spread out, with a small living area, very large bathroom, and roomy bedroom with pocket doors to separate the space. Our view on the 9th floor wasn't remarkable, but we had plenty of light through a large picture window and we could see Mt. Hood in the distance. This is an excellent choice for Portland leisure travel because of its proximity to light rail stations, shopping, and good restaurants. And Red Star, the adjoining restaurant, has a killer happy hour (until 8:30 p.m., no less). I highly recommend stopping by for a cocktail and some crab dip! My only other tip is that you should join the free Kimpton Rewards program if you're going to stay at this Hotel Monaco or any other Kimpton property. You get free Internet access and usually some other sort of perk--ours was a coupon to "raid the mini bar." I also received an e-mail about a week before our stay asking us if we had any special requests (like pillows, newspapers, etc.).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

I got to spend my 14th birthday (in dog years that's...70?) with my mom and my sister at the Hotel Monaco in Portland. Wow, what a neat hotel. They put my name on the dog board and said, "Happy Birthday, Doogie" and I got to sleep on a nice comfy place and watch TV. The Phillies were playing and I used to live in Philadelphia but then I moved to the West Coast with my sister.

My mom took me for a long walk and even though it rains a lot in Portland (we long-haired dachshunds hate the rain) there were a lot of places to walk near the Hotel Monaco. Plus when I got back into the hotel there was a wonderful bowl of water waiting for me, and the doorman opened the door for me.

I felt like a little puppy once again!

Doogie C Dachshund

• Stayed October 2010
Brookings, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

Very comfortable hotel with wonderful service and friendly helpful staff. The room was beautiful, relaxing, and absolutely comfortable. I look forward to returning here some time in the future.

• Stayed October 2010
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

We stayed at the hotel in early August. The downtown location was great for access to the riverfront, restaurants and shopping. We parked the car and either walked or took advantage of the free public transportation to get around. The hotel staff was some of the best we have encountered, from the valet staff to front desk. They were able to recommend some very interesting attractions and good restaurants. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

I recently traveled to Portland, OR with my best friend for a girls’ weekend and to celebrate her birthday. We stayed at the Hotel Monaco Portland and as much as we loved the city, the hotel may have been our favorite part. Kimpton Hotels in general are wonderful and unique, but this hotel had an extra special feel. The hotel is beautiful, it has a great ambiance, and the people are very personable and helpful. Being an In Touch member meant free items from the mini bar, a complementary bottle of champagne for our special occasion (my BBF’s birthday), and my preferred type of pillow. We didn't have our pets with us, but their commitment to their pet guests was amazing! I so want to bring my dog next time! All of this topped with a complementary wine hour with live music and painting, we felt like we were royalty while we stayed at the Hotel Monaco Portland. I can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

The Hotel Monaco is a boutique hotel in the heart of downtown Portland close to the Max transit system for easy travel around the city. The staff is exceptionally friendly and accommodating, the rooms are comfortable, quiet, large and uniquely furnished. I enjoyed my stay very much and would choose the Monaco for future stays in Portland. Even though I did not travel with a canine companion, I loved the special care the Monaco bestows on its canine guests. The Red Star restaurant adjacent to the hotel had wonderful food as well.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business