“Great hotel - perfect location.”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
“Great hotel - perfect location.”
Reviewed October 22, 2010

We stayed at the hotel in early August. The downtown location was great for access to the riverfront, restaurants and shopping. We parked the car and either walked or took advantage of the free public transportation to get around. The hotel staff was some of the best we have encountered, from the valet staff to front desk. They were able to recommend some very interesting attractions and good restaurants. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I recently traveled to Portland, OR with my best friend for a girls’ weekend and to celebrate her birthday. We stayed at the Hotel Monaco Portland and as much as we loved the city, the hotel may have been our favorite part. Kimpton Hotels in general are wonderful and unique, but this hotel had an extra special feel. The hotel is beautiful, it has a great ambiance, and the people are very personable and helpful. Being an In Touch member meant free items from the mini bar, a complementary bottle of champagne for our special occasion (my BBF’s birthday), and my preferred type of pillow. We didn't have our pets with us, but their commitment to their pet guests was amazing! I so want to bring my dog next time! All of this topped with a complementary wine hour with live music and painting, we felt like we were royalty while we stayed at the Hotel Monaco Portland. I can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed October 19, 2010

The Hotel Monaco is a boutique hotel in the heart of downtown Portland close to the Max transit system for easy travel around the city. The staff is exceptionally friendly and accommodating, the rooms are comfortable, quiet, large and uniquely furnished. I enjoyed my stay very much and would choose the Monaco for future stays in Portland. Even though I did not travel with a canine companion, I loved the special care the Monaco bestows on its canine guests. The Red Star restaurant adjacent to the hotel had wonderful food as well.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Austin, Tx
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Hotel Monaco is @ 5th and Washington. There is a bus stop in front and the tram is 2 blocks which made it very convenient. I had planned to make use of the free bicycles but my husband did too much walking the first day of our stay. The staff was very friendly. The concierge, Decoteau, emailed me ahead of time so I could better plan my trip[. The decor was fun and unique. The room was spacious with a huge bathroom. I like being able to close the door to the bedroom as my husband gets up much earlier than I do. The Red Star tavern was a good deal at Happy Hour but overpriced with few selections otherwise. The continental breakfast included in the deal on Travelportland.com was good for OJ and coffee but only 3 selections for a muffin, toast or granola. Overall the stay was good, comfy and fun. I would skip the breakfast and eat elsewhere. There is no pool and the business center charges a fee. There is a computer you can stand up and use in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 13, 2010

The lounge beacons you to come in and sit by the fire or lay on the chaise and listen to the piano music. The warm red walls, cheerful and sophisticated furniture, the oriental-style paintings make you happy and children want to play. The doormen welcome you back from your walk or shopping trip. They may not know your name, but they know you've returned. My room was huge, comfortable and stylish. On the bed were Frette linens, an Italian wool throw and a cuddly black panda . For $1.00 extra, the continental breakfast was fantastic - always fresh raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and melons and your choice of granola, English biscuit, or toast. The coffee was mellow. A spa and hair salon was adjacent to the hotel. And I almost forgot, the hotel has mascot, a golden retriever and it welcomes pets. I'll return. It was grand.

Pat Spirer

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 13, 2010

The service is great before you even enter the place and the free wine and/ or microbrew very friendly happy hours, plus room upgrade we didn't even request, were big plusses. The attached Red Star restaurant was excellent too. The location is conveneient to the free city transport systems.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Stayed here on the first leg of our honeymoon. Probably the nicest hotel staff I have ever encountered. Beautiful rooms and perfect location, too. Seemed like a steal at roughly $150 a night.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple