“A definite keeper”

Ranked #3 of 139 Hotels in Portland
San Diego, California
“A definite keeper”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed our short one night stay at the Monaco. All of the employees were so helpful and friendly, the decor was very nice but not pretentious, we liked the dog in the lobby - makes the hotel feel warm and inviting - the location couldn't be better. We will definitely stay there on our next trip to Portland. One of the best hotel experiences I've had in a long time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

When we visit Portland, we splurge on a downtown hotel for at least 3 days of our stay. The Monaco Hotel lived up to all its kudos. (we had been there in the past when it was 5th Ave Suites - it's totally renovated now) Everyone and everything was fabulous from check-in to check-out. All of the staff seems genuinely friendly and very helpful. We will be back.

The Dalles, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

Rooms are big and decor is fun and different. Also there is free wine tasting for people staying at the hotel.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

This is a great hotel with excellent accomodations, great service and location. Their focus seems to be on customer satisfaction and service excellence! The only hesitation I would have is that parking is expensive but they made up for it by taking care of every little detail during the arrival and departure. Next time I would propbably plan a stay there without a car because the location is convenient to everything.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

In the interest of full disclosure - I am a member of the Kimpton In-Touch loyalty program and stay at Kimpton hotels any time I am in a city that has one. All of my stays have been above average and this one was no exception. I booked a package that included a king suite, parking, and continental breakfast.

The Room - The room was a two-room suite with a separate living room and bedroom. The room was well furnished and comfortable. The bed was comfortable, but contrary to the description on the website, the bed did not have Frette linens. (I note that because I know it's important to some people.) The location of the room was a bit odd in that it was on the same floor as the conference facilities, and we sometimes had conference attendees standing in the hallway in front of the room when we returned during the day. The room was on the 2nd floor, facing Washington St, and there was considerable noise throughout the night. If you are a light sleeper, you may want to ask for a room on an upper floor.

The Staff - Service at this hotel was excellent. We were able to check in early with absolutely no problems. Our room was cleaned and tidied up early every day. We requested foam pillows and they were brought up to the room within minutes. The valet staff was courteous and helpful. Our car was always waiting for us, even if we called right before leaving the room. Service at the restaurant and bar was also excellent.

The Location - The hotel is located just a couple of blocks from Pioneer Courthouse Square and the Pioneer Place Mall. There area a few good restaurants within easy walking distance and lots of food carts nearby. Just keep in mind that Washington St. is very busy, so if you need a quiet room, ask for something on a higher floor.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

The Hotel Monaco Portland is at the heart of the city, and within walking distance to a number of good restauraunts. The hotel is nicely furnished, with a classic design. The rooms were very nice, large, and consisted of high ceilings, which adds to the good spacial quality. The food was delicious, and the staff courteous and attentive. Overall, a very pleasant experience. I would not hesitate to stay at the Hotel Monaco Portland should I have the opportunity to visit the area again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco Portland with friends in July 2010. We were awakened in the middle of the night by the earsplitting chrip of a smoke alarm suffering from a low-battery. Rather than call maintenance to fix our problem, the front desk attendant provided me with a 9-volt battery to fix the problem myself (at 4:30 am). The ceilings in our room must have been 10 or 11 feet high, so I precariously balanced myself atop an armchair and replaced the battery and tried to go back to sleep. No apology was made by the hotel and only upon the insistence of my friend, was a compensatory gift certificate provided for an additional night (to be used at a later date), good only at the Hotel Monaco Portland (I don't live in Portland). Flash forward two months. In attempting to utilize my gift certificate, I've been told contridictory things by various customer service agents at both the hotel and at central reservations (Kimpton Hotels) as to why I am now unable to utilize my gift certificate. Apparently, this gift certificate being labeled "You have received a gift as good as gold" is only hyperbolism.

I do NOT recommend Portland Oregon's Motel Monaco.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank ckypt
RyanKMonaco, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, September 24, 2010
I would like to apologize for the lack of service you received at our hotel during your recent stay. I am embarrassed by the actions of the employees involved and I assure you that handling such a situation in this manner is not at all to our standards. I would also like to apologize for the trouble you have experienced booking a future reservation with your gift certificate. If you could please contact me directly I would like to personally apologize. I also would be more than happy to reserve you a room at our hotel any day you desire.

Kind Regards,