“Hotel Monaco is BY FAR the BEST hotel in Portland!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #3 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“Hotel Monaco is BY FAR the BEST hotel in Portland!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

This past Friday, my husband and I had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Monaco in Portland, Oregon. While we are Portland residents, we had planned on escaping the kiddos for an evening in order to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. I had stayed at the Monaco in the past and knew how wonderful it was. We made our reservations and expected to have a lovely visit.

Holy cow! "Lovely" does not begin to describe our stay! Each and every staff member was kind, courteous, and gracious. The valets were welcoming, the front desk staff were gracious, and the accommodations--WOW! As a Kimpton In Touch member, I knew we would be treated to special perks, but this visit blew me away! We were ushered to the top floor to the largest suite I've ever had the pleasure of staying in. When making my reservation, I had mentioned that we would be staying at the Monaco for our anniversary. I had no idea that the hotel staff would have champagne chilling in an ice bucket, a box of chocolates waiting for us and have flower petals decorating our bed! It was simply incredible. The bed was, by far, the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. (I'm convinced we need the exact same bed for our home--I slept so well)! It was fantastically over sized and the bedding was heavenly. We LOVED the wine/social hour and enjoyed the great selection of Oregon beers and wines. I thoroughly enjoyed my glass of the delicious sangria made by the Red Star Tavern, while listening to the phenomenal piano player, and meeting other couples staying at the hotel. And because of the perfect location of the hotel, we were able to go for a great run along the riverfront in the morning, and still make it back in plenty of time for breakfast and have time to lounge in our beautiful suite overlooking downtown, before checking out at noon. We ordered room service for breakfast and we loved it all--every morsel. Make sure to order a pot of coffee--it was delicious! Seriously, if you are looking for a place to stay in Portland, there is no better hotel. You will love every minute of your time at the Hotel Monaco.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

We fell in love with Kimpton Hotels last year while staying in San Francisco. We found them to be always thinking about guest satisfaction, so wanted to try another Kimpton. This one proved that point again. From the moment we arrived at 10am, we got a smile, and a room to settle in to. No storing of bags, no wandering around, but a big beautiful room that they made available to us.
Didn't take advantage of the nightly social hour, the bikes available for use, the umbrellas we didn't need, or the water bowl for pets we didn't bring along, but we still just loved being there. Great location and wonderful staff. We are looking forward to our next visit sometime.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol1st
Topsham, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

Once again a perfect stay at Portland's Hotel Monaco. The staff is the best -- always friendly and helpful. The rooms are extremely comfortable. Can't wait for my next trip to Portland and another stay at the Monaco.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Chico, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

Great place! I've stayed here twice now with my 20 something kids and they think the hotel and I are both cool. The staff is great, happy hour is fun and the location is fantastic. If you're driving, park in the Smart lot two blocks away for a fraction of the cost of the hotel lot, then leave your car there for the duration of your stay. It's a phenomenal city for walking.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

I cannot rave enough about our stay at the Hotel Monaco in Portland. The service, the style, the attention to detail - all with a smile and appreciation for our business. I don't hesitate to recommend this hotel highly. We had 20 rooms reserved plus 2 dogs who stayed with us. Wish I could get that kind of service in NYC.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

I stayed for 2 nights at the Hotel Monaco in Portland in September 2009. My best friend was getting married in Portland and I was responsible for booking the accommodation for 8 people. I did a lot of research before deciding on the Monaco as the happiness of this many people (and two dogs) were counting on me!

We were all delighted with our rooms, especially after we were upgraded to junior suites from the standard rooms. I'm a member of the Kimpton inTouch program, and the personalization offered from this program not only gave me a discount on the rooms, but it ensured that my newspaper of choice was delivered in the morning, as well as a certificate for the minibar ("raid the mini-bar!") which went beyond the usual treatment. Also offered to anyone bringing their animal companion was a well-received basket-full of dog items, including treats, poo bags, and a plush toy. There was also a dog bed provided.

We all enjoyed the wine hour. I was delighted to meet representatives from a vineyard I greatly admire (Adelsheim) and sample several the different varietal wines they were offering up during the hour. I entered the painting contest (there are paints and canvases set up for guests to indulge their artistic streaks), and while it doesn't appear that I won a free night, it was fun to try! It was also interesting meeting some of the other guests.

Coffee in the rooms was good. There is an attached Aveda spa which some of the members of our party took advantage of. We used our "1/2 off a bottle of wine" coupon in the attached restaurant, getting us the (fabulous!) Panther Creek Pinot Noir (2007) for the retail price! Great value.

I used the exercise room (water and towels provided) and I was able to easily find nice river-side running areas a stone's throw from the hotel's front doors. The dog appreciated the outdoor running opportunities, as did I.

The only drawback I found was the lack of a fan for ventilation in the shower/bathroom area. It left the area too humid for using a hairdryer.

The staff here are great, the rooms are fantastic, and I would recommend this to anyone looking for a luxury accommodation with an individualistic twist in the Portland area. (This goes for the Seattle Monaco as well - great hotel!)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin, CA USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

This hotel was hands down the best hotel I have ever stayed at in Portland and probably one of the best in the country. I have stayed at some nice hotels but I have never stayed at a hotel that was not only nice but their staff was awesome!

My fiance and I found this hotel through searches for pet friendly hotels in the Portland area and I am SO happy we picked this one. Not only were they pet friendly but they welcomed our two little girls with their names on their doggy welcome board and the provided beds, treats and toys for our dogs in our room! AMAZING!!! The hotel staff was so incredibly friendly and probably the most helpful staff I have ever experienced. The valet was exceptionally great. Anytime we were going to head out in the car they asked us where we were going and then literally HAND WROTE turn by turn directions for us and showed us how to get there on their map... totally cool!

I will no doubt stay at this hotel again if we go back to Portland and I would reccomend that anyone looking for a stellar hotel in Portland stay here, especially if you have pets!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple