“Always Great”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Once again a perfect stay at Portland's Hotel Monaco. The staff is the best -- always friendly and helpful. The rooms are extremely comfortable. Can't wait for my next trip to Portland and another stay at the Monaco.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,209)

Reviewed August 17, 2010

Great place! I've stayed here twice now with my 20 something kids and they think the hotel and I are both cool. The staff is great, happy hour is fun and the location is fantastic. If you're driving, park in the Smart lot two blocks away for a fraction of the cost of the hotel lot, then leave your car there for the duration of your stay. It's a phenomenal city for walking.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I cannot rave enough about our stay at the Hotel Monaco in Portland. The service, the style, the attention to detail - all with a smile and appreciation for our business. I don't hesitate to recommend this hotel highly. We had 20 rooms reserved plus 2 dogs who stayed with us. Wish I could get that kind of service in NYC.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I stayed for 2 nights at the Hotel Monaco in Portland in September 2009. My best friend was getting married in Portland and I was responsible for booking the accommodation for 8 people. I did a lot of research before deciding on the Monaco as the happiness of this many people (and two dogs) were counting on me!

We were all delighted with our rooms, especially after we were upgraded to junior suites from the standard rooms. I'm a member of the Kimpton inTouch program, and the personalization offered from this program not only gave me a discount on the rooms, but it ensured that my newspaper of choice was delivered in the morning, as well as a certificate for the minibar ("raid the mini-bar!") which went beyond the usual treatment. Also offered to anyone bringing their animal companion was a well-received basket-full of dog items, including treats, poo bags, and a plush toy. There was also a dog bed provided.

We all enjoyed the wine hour. I was delighted to meet representatives from a vineyard I greatly admire (Adelsheim) and sample several the different varietal wines they were offering up during the hour. I entered the painting contest (there are paints and canvases set up for guests to indulge their artistic streaks), and while it doesn't appear that I won a free night, it was fun to try! It was also interesting meeting some of the other guests.

Coffee in the rooms was good. There is an attached Aveda spa which some of the members of our party took advantage of. We used our "1/2 off a bottle of wine" coupon in the attached restaurant, getting us the (fabulous!) Panther Creek Pinot Noir (2007) for the retail price! Great value.

I used the exercise room (water and towels provided) and I was able to easily find nice river-side running areas a stone's throw from the hotel's front doors. The dog appreciated the outdoor running opportunities, as did I.

The only drawback I found was the lack of a fan for ventilation in the shower/bathroom area. It left the area too humid for using a hairdryer.

The staff here are great, the rooms are fantastic, and I would recommend this to anyone looking for a luxury accommodation with an individualistic twist in the Portland area. (This goes for the Seattle Monaco as well - great hotel!)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2010

This hotel was hands down the best hotel I have ever stayed at in Portland and probably one of the best in the country. I have stayed at some nice hotels but I have never stayed at a hotel that was not only nice but their staff was awesome!

My fiance and I found this hotel through searches for pet friendly hotels in the Portland area and I am SO happy we picked this one. Not only were they pet friendly but they welcomed our two little girls with their names on their doggy welcome board and the provided beds, treats and toys for our dogs in our room! AMAZING!!! The hotel staff was so incredibly friendly and probably the most helpful staff I have ever experienced. The valet was exceptionally great. Anytime we were going to head out in the car they asked us where we were going and then literally HAND WROTE turn by turn directions for us and showed us how to get there on their map... totally cool!

I will no doubt stay at this hotel again if we go back to Portland and I would reccomend that anyone looking for a stellar hotel in Portland stay here, especially if you have pets!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hwest00
Reviewed August 11, 2010

This was a very nice hotel with exceptional staff. Many hotels offer the things they do, however I have never stayed in a hotel that took into consideration the comfort of my dog as much as they did. I feel like I will never have to leave my dog at home alone again while staying in Portland.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2010

When planning my trip to Portland I wanted a place that was convenient to a lot of things. Hotel Monaco was the perfect choice. Located downtown Portland it is walking distance to many shops and places to eat and it is also close to the Amtrak (which we rode from Seattle) and close to busses and the light rail that goes to the airport.

The hotel room was very spacious and comfortable. The bed was really comfy and had a cute little stuffed bear sitting on it when we arrived. The bathroom is fairly large as well. I've stayed at a couple Kimton's now that have switched over to large in-room bottles for shampoo, conditioner and shower gel. Maybe all Kimpton's have? Not sure. The product is still a good quality, just no free mini bottles to take home with you anymore.

The staff was very friendly throughout our stay, even the doorman who had to stand outside in 90+ heat - poor guy!

Tip - The workout area has free bottles of water.

I would definitely stay at the Hotel Monaco again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple