“One of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Melbourne, Australia
“One of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed March 26, 2010

I travel what could be considered a fair amount - mostly for leisure - and I recently had the absolute pleasure of staying at the Hotel Monaco Portland. From check in to check out, our entire stay was beyond lovely. The rooms are beautifully decorated, very spacious - we stayed in a King Suite and then a Double Double suite - and just ever so comfortable.

The lobby area is very warm and inviting, it was a shame we were so busy we didn't get to enjoy the evening reception.

The Red Star Tavern quickly became our favourite thing about Portland, the food is just delicious and their 4pm - 8pm every day happy hour is simply unbeatable.

The spa attached to the hotel offers a special 1 hour $55 massage for hotel guests, I could have got one every day if we had the time it was that enjoyable.

Overall I wish every hotel I stayed in was as excellent as the Hotel Monaco Portland.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
lovetotravel2_10
Reviewed March 25, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times, it's fantastic. When the Nines opened up I chose to try and stay there as it's the only 5 star hotel in Portland and it was nice but I still enjoyed the Monaco more. The staff is so friendly and the rooms are warm and cozy. The complimentary Cocktail Hour is great! As a kimpton in touch member you get amenities in your room upon arrival.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL and they are dog friendly.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Seattle, WA, USA
Reviewed March 17, 2010

We visit Portland at least a few times a year and have stayed at many hotels in the city -- from The Governor to the Westin and The Benson. We always come back to Hotel Monaco! They offer great rates (check Hotwire!) and nice spacious rooms. As a Kimpton member, I always get upgraded to a bigger room, upper floor, mini bar credit, etc. The New York Times is waiting for me every morning just outside the door.

I love the wine happy hour every evening in the grand room with fuchsia walls! In fact, I love all of the Hollywood Regency decor touches throughout this hotel! The wallpaper behind the check-in desk is straight out of Domino magazine and totally dream-worthy!

The Monaco's location may be a bit further from the Pearl and Nob Hill but it's worth the extra couple of blocks as one of the most comfortable and reliable hotel chains around!

My only caution would be to request a room that is not above the Red Star restaurant (which is connected to the hotel). There is a bus stop right on that corner and unless you're on an upper floor, you WILL hear buses coming and going until late in the night and starting again early in the morning. Once we learned to avoid that corner of the hotel, I've never had a bad night's sleep!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I just enjoyed my 2nd stay at the Hotel Monaco. They honored my request for early check-in, so after relaxing by the fireplace (gas but authentic) a few minutes I was easily checked in to a great room.
Room 809 was comfortable, very quiet and has a nice view of Mt Hood over the rooftops.
The staff could not have been more courteous, friendly, happy to please.
My early morning coffee request was at my door promptly @ 6 a.m.
The location is great for shopping at Pioneer Place and there's a very good Italian Bakery/Cafe around the corner on 5th.
I'll happily return to the Hotel Monaco again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank pickygirl2
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed March 8, 2010

We loved the Hotel Monaco. You couldn't get a better location for downtown Portland. Within just a block or two of shopping, movie theatres, numerous great restaurants and public transport (we took the MAX train directly from the airport to within 2 blocks of the hotel and back for $2.30/person - so much cheaper than taxi! The staff was very friendly and helpful with recommendations and directions. LOTS of complimentary perks: Fresh Starbucks coffee/tea on a morning, hot chocolate during the day, and a nice selection of wine/beer in the evening in a really nice room just off the lobby. We stayed in a king corner room on the 6th floor. Nice size room. Very clean. Large bathroom with great shower pressure. Comfortable bed & pillows. Street noise was minimal. The Hotel, like Portland itself was friendly, unpretentious & had a clear sense of humor (check out the tables opposite the elevators on each floor when the elevator doors open - the tiny dogs are a great touch). Loved the decor - more fun/whimsical than trendy. Loved that they have a welcome board naming all the dogs currently staying there (and there were a lot, but we never heard any barking). Be sure to go online and sign up for the Kimpton InTouch rewards program before your stay. It's free to join and allows you free wi-fi internet during your stay and two free items from the minibar (we booked our room through Travelocity and just called the hotel before we arrived and gave them the Kimptom InTouch member number over the phone so they could apply it to the room).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TDS0004
salt lake city, utah
Reviewed March 8, 2010

My husband and I wanted to go somewhere where we didn't have to rent a car and could just stroll around for the weekend and relax. This was the perfect place. The staff was incredibly friendly, the hotel is in a wonderful location and although the rooms are a bit eclectic in design, they are very spacious and well appointed. We even got a $10.00 coupon to raid the mini bar which I thought was cute. There are dogs abound at the hotel and in Portland in general which I love. Take the rail from the airport and you get off about 2 blocks from the hotel. It's $2.30 per person and you can walk everywhere (or ride the trains for free within a certain area). That was such a nice option. You do not need a car downtown, trust me. Loved the hotel happy hour too. Also, if you want great food and beer at at great price go to Henry's. They have an unbelievable happy hour(s) and the food is $2 to $4 per serving.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed March 3, 2010

I cannot say enough great things about this hotel. From before we even arrived we were greeted with amazing service. We were upgraded to a beautiful suite. The decor in all Hotel Monacos is a little funky, but it really works. Absolutely everybody we came in contact with was nice (that is true of most of Portland actually). The beds are comfy, as are the other furnishings. The location was great too. It was very central to all of the attractions that we visited and close to the streetcar too. I would never stay anywhere else in Portland.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple