“In need of a refurbishment”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed May 2, 2006

We have stayed at the Fifth Avenue Suites almost since it was opened. The convenience of it's location in downtown Portland cannot be beat. The evening wine reception is superb. The front desk staff are wonderful. The bell staff and valet parking crew are excellent. It's the tired shape of the rooms that is the main problem. Threadbare, broken and stained would describe the furnishings. There were rips in pillows and sofas and holes int he carpets. The lights did not work in the lounge area of our suite. They really need to work on this hotel.

Stayed: October 2005
6  Thank PanAmClipper

Reviewed April 24, 2006

My husband and I stayed there for our anniversary. I mentioned it was a special night when confirming the reservation and checking in to the hotel. I was very surprised to walk into the room and find two small beds. I had specifically requested a king bed when reserving the room. Not very romantic, in my opinion. I thought it was a detail that was overlooked. I wasn't expecting anything other than what I reserved. The room itself was nice, though kind of had a musty smell. It is a pet friendly hotel and the room did smell a bit like wet dog. The hotel is in a great location and the staff is friendly. The parking was expensive ($25 a night), considering there were lots very near by for about $5 a night. I'm not sure if we stay there again. There seemed to be alot of very nice hotels downtown in the same neighborhood.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank travelers1008
Reviewed February 25, 2006

After staying at the Marriott in downtown Portland for a week, I checked into the 5th Avenue Suites with a "Hot Date/Hot Rate" rate of $120.

Location: Convenient downtown location, 2 blocks from Pioneer Place. Many nearby restaurants 1-2 blocks away. Area is perfectly safe at night (at least in this young female's opinion)

Parking: Same as Marriott, only valet parking for $20+/night. However, parking garage is just adjacent to the hotel.

Hotel Staff: Like every other Kimpton I've visited, extremely friendly and helpful front desk staff. I'm not sure if it is drilled into employees more at Kimpton, but the staff friendliness has been something I've heard even pickier guests commenting on.

Exercise Room: Free, and fairly large (larger than aforementioned Marriott). Two Precor, one LifeFitness elliptical machines, 2 with "Cardio Theater". Treadmills, exercise bikes, weights, exercise ball (standard hotel gym equipment). Filtered water machine (unlike some hotels that have vending machine requiring you to bring money to gym to pay for bottled water). Only bad thing is that there were no windows.

Room Service: Food is provided from the "Red Star Restaurant" down the street. OK, but not great for the price (prices comparable to room service at most hotels).

Room: Best for last! On check in, (without my even having to ask) am informed that as an "Inner Circle Elite Member" with Kimpton, I've been upgraded to the largest room in the hotel, the JKF (not JFK) Suite. The room had: living room with 50" Plasma (LCD?) TV, dining room table, wet bar, canopy bed, jacuzzi tub and separate shower. One of the nicest rooms I've stayed in a looonnng time!

Overall: Great hotel, especially with the "Hot Dates/Hot Rates" rate!

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank voll002
Reviewed February 21, 2006

My husband and I travel to Portland several times a year and have stayed at several hotels. This last trip included our first, but definitely not last, stay at 5th Avenue Suites. Each and every staff member was friendly, not just polite. The room was well decorated and very comfortable, and was very clean (bathrooms in hotels typically show age quickly, but this one was squeaky clean). The nightly wine tasting was a nice touch, as well as the fun patterned robes and the bear on the bed. Others have complained about the price tags on these items but really, do you expect the hotel to provide you with a free teddy bear or robe to take home? Just enjoy them while you are there. We already knew about the attached restaurant and already liked it, so that was a bonus for us--great beer selection, good food, although we liked lunch better than dinner. The hotel was classy but not in any way snooty. And Aveda products! Yay! We had such a good experience that we will try to stay here many more times in the future.

9  Thank Sue N
A TripAdvisor Member
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed February 13, 2006

This is the worst hotel i have ever stayed at. paying this much for a hotel room you expect it to be high class with proffesion staff. they could not find our reservaton and made us wait in the lobby for 40 minutes and after they found it we were told they were out of the type of room we reserved and stuck us on a smaller room on a corner (tough luck mentality). there was no apology for the inconvenience and when i brought it up i was told " it was not our fault you made the reservation online" mind boggling right the next morning i complained to the manager and was told sorry for the inconveneince but there is nothing more i could do for you. I will never stay at this hotel again

• Stayed: December 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 7, 2006

We love this hotel!! We own a luxury hotel ourselves - so can be a bit of a snob when it comes to lodging. We have stayed at this location at least 15 times in the last 2 years. The location is perfect to just drop the car off to valet and walk to everything for the weekend. Portland City Grill is just 2 blocks away - and on the 30th floor of the us bank building - unbelievable view for dinner / drinks. The 5th Ave gets us back too because it is so close to the PC Grill!

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank Dianna D
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 6, 2006

I picked this hotel because of all the wonderful reviews. Whoa, was I in for a surprise. The room is DUSTY. There is dust everywhere including a line of dust where the carpet meets the wall. The carpet is stained. The room is really small, and we had a corner room.

The style is terrible. Some kind of mesh between old-establishment elitist and old-fashioned. It's like walking into a country club in some hick, Midwestern town. You know.. prints, emboridery, heavy drapes, tassels. It's goshawful.

Okay, but moving on, their guest strategy is really tact-less. They leave a plush toy bear on your bed. Sounds cute, right? Only until you see the giant price tag hanging off its ear. The animal-print bathrobes really creeped me out. Animal print is not stylish. It's trashy!

The hotel restaurant looked unimaginative. You are in Portland!! For cryin out loud take advantage of all their wonderful foodie places (like Higgins -- and they have a bistro-bar for the value-concious).

I thought it would be cool to stay in an old department store -- like that Charlie Chaplin film where he gets lockede in a department store overnight. Or like that children's book, Corduroy. But there isn't anything that suggests it was an old store. Sort of a disappointment for me.

Next time I guess I will try somewhere else like the Hotel Lucia. It seems a little more hip.

• Stayed: February 2006