“Wow”

Ranked #3 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Roseburg OR
“Wow”
Reviewed November 13, 2009

The Hotel Monaco's location was perfect for my husband and me during our two-night stay in Portland. We were within walking distance of terrific restaurants and shops. The staff were exceptional -- welcoming, helpful, polite, and friendly. Our suite was spacious and the decor was lovely. Their parking garage was convenient for us and the hotel restaurant served delicious breakfasts. We will definitely stay here again and I highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning to stay in Portland.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed November 8, 2009

What a great surprise. I am from Portland, but haven't lived there in about 7 years. I met up with friends for a girls' weekend and we stayed here because it was inexpensive and had a suite large enough for our group.

The service was flawless and we were slightly high-maintenance. Everyone from the front desk to housekeeping to valet to the doorman was very friendly and had easygoing and genuine interactions with us and other hotel guests. I travel a lot for work and leisure and I was blown away by this hotel's employees. Everyone was on his/her game. Friendly people.

They have a great (and popular) wine reception from 5 - 6 everyday. Other hotels have something similar and it always seems a little half-hearted. Not at the Monaco. It was great. They also have coffee and tea set up downstairs in the morning, which is convenient.

The decor was pretty wild. Like PT Barnum had a baby with Kelly Wearstler, but it was playful and new and clean and happy. When we opened the closets and found zebra and leopard-print robes, we cracked up. The hotel and its employees has a sense of humor.

Great location for what you are paying. Very easy walking distance to Powell's, the Pearl District, etc. Glad we stayed here instead of The Nines, which seemed like a scene and has a ridiculous restaurant up top. That kind of place is inconsistent with the Portland vibe. Monaco, however, is a perfect place to stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 7, 2009

Located in a great spot in Portland. I was in easy walking distance to the city sights - shopping, dining, and night life. I was minutes away from the river so I was able to walk tot the "Saturday Street Fair" on both Saturday and Sunday. Shopping was steps away at Pioneer Plaza as was dining. Definitely make sure you make the 10-minute walk to Voodoo Donuts and get the maple bacon donut!

I stayed in a queen standard room which was more than large enough for a single or couple. Decor is standard Kimpton, a bit flashy but in a very comfortable old world way. It's not as sterile as some of the more contemporary boutiques. My only concern is the bathroom which didn't feel up to snuff with the latest hotels and felt more like your standard hotel.

Parking is valet and pricey, but the staff in the garage is attentive and full of great recommendations for little road trips. I spent a day on the Columbia River Highway which I highly recommend. The hotel has great little pre-printed cards with instructions to all local sights which is useful in the confusing town of one-way streets and bridges in/out of the city. I never waited for anyone in the garage at all hours of the day which is nice. I've been to some places where you have to hunt for the valet.

As always the wine reception at the Kimpton is not to be missed. What's great about Portland is that Oregon has some very nice local wineries.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We’ve stayed at this hotel several times over the last year and it is a favorite.

My husband was running the Portland marathon during our last stay, and when we arrived they had bananas and plenty of bottled water waiting in our room. We also received a “raid the honor bar” coupon. Other times we have celebrated special occasions in Portland and received a bottle of wine at check-in.

Valet service is friendly and efficient, but be prepared to pay $31 a night for hotel parking.

We always enjoy the wine and beer (and always an added cocktail choice) reception in the lobby at 5pm. There are also great values to be had during the happy hour at the hotel’s restaurant on food and drink.

Your choice of newspaper is delivered in the morning along with Starbucks coffee available in the lobby and in the room.

We look forward to a massage at the Dosha spa, and there are usually some great last minute offers when you check in.

Stayed in a huge King Suite during our last stay, for an extra $1 we received breakfast for two the next day in the hotel's restaurant.

Make sure to sign up as a Kimpton In Touch member for extra benefits during your stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I cannot say enough nice things about this hotel. I booked through hotels.com and they lost my reservation (despite the fact that I had confirmation from them), but the registration attendant (I wish I remembered her name, she was great) took responsibility for the mishap, got me checked in immediately and put me in a king suite instead of the standard queen room I had booked for the inconvenience of having a brief moment of terror in thinking I may not have a place to sleep for the night.

There's a great piano in the lobby that you can play, they'll send anything up to your room instantaneously (like toiletries), they set out complimentary NYTs and WSJs to go with your coffee in the morning, the valets and doormen are all extraordinarily kind and helpful.

I would highly, highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying close to downtown Portland, as I simply can't imagine you'd find a better value.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mkk_2009
medford, or
Reviewed October 25, 2009

Awesome hotel with amazing restaurant and bar attached! Perfect place for my 5 girlfriends to spend a shopping weekend. The suites are roomy. The pull-out catch bed is like sleeping on a Tempur-Pedic mattress--almost more comfortable then the beds! Immediate guest service attention, easy parking, and well equipped fitness center. The treadmills could be updated (a little loud for surrounding people), but met my 5 mile run needs. Wine reception is super - comfortable couches, music, and local wines and brews were served. Im going back in two weeks!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 22, 2009

we spent 1 night at hotel monaco to celebrate my birthday. the room was small but comfortable and met all of our expectations. it was nice to have a glass of wine at the hosted cocktail hour in the lobby before heading out to dinner. i booked the room on priceline for just over $80, which made it even more worthwhile.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple