“Great charming hotel”

Ranked #2 of 141 Hotels in Portland
international
“Great charming hotel”
Reviewed October 8, 2005

We stayed there for 1.5 weeks, for business and for pleasure. Everything was wonderful.
The suite was big and yet cozy, decorating beautifully.
Everything was very comfortable and pleasuring.
Don't try anything else, we did and it was a waist of time and money comparing to this fibulas hotel.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank dhdarm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
seattle
Reviewed October 1, 2005

We loved the 5th Ave -- Had a horrid La Quinta experience in Walla Walla, WA an unexpected decent stay in Best Western in John Day, OR and then an "Ab Fab" stay in Portland, OR at the 5th Ave. Suites! (Then another disappointment at the Vintage Plaza - sigh.)

Traveling with two kittens may be a challenge, but the 5th Ave was so wonderful. We did pay to have one of their One bedroom Suites and it was an accessible room, so wonder if bathtubs in the other suites (we had only walk in shower and super tall toilet) - Also, next time will ask to make sure we have smoking room as there was confusion on this, but we did not have to move after unpacking.. Our kittens loved the couch and delighted in the bed, as did we humans :} In fact one of the best beds ever!!!!!!!!

True windows did not open, but they were giant tall and wide and really beautiful (even on 3rd floor with view of street and building across street) and kitties loved to "people watch"...

Bar has great drinks (single malt scotch overpriced, but terrific selection) and the happy hour snack prices make up for overpriced cocktails and drinks - room service fast, but typically high prices (normal 4 star hotel pricing).

Parking AT $26 Valet is normal for city prices, and no scratches - also fast and friendly: directions, maps and all.

I am still thinking of that bed and can't wait to return!!!

• Stayed September 2004
3 Thank thecatsmeow
Denver
Reviewed September 22, 2005

Great hotel - loved the room and the welcome hour with wine and painting. What a unique way to unwind! Would stay here above any other in Portland on my next visit.

• Stayed November 2004
1 Thank AlTri11
New York, NY
Reviewed September 12, 2005

This hotel was a wonderful surprise, especially for the price. Our suite was large, sunny and pleasant and the room well appointed (a bonus: Aveda bath products). The staff was extremely friendly and helpful in all respects, and the fitness center was decently equipped for a hotel fitness center-- many of the cardio machines had small, individual TV screens. The evening wine tasting was a pleasant opportunity to relax and people watch. In my opinion, a much better choice than the usual chain hotel. I will definitely stay here on my next visit to Portland.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank SASNY
USA
Reviewed September 4, 2005

We stayed here Labor Day weekend 2005. You can't go wrong here. Great beds/linens, large rooms, great service, prime location near shops and public transportation, local wines served each afternoon and coffee/tea in the morning. The only reason I can imagine not to stay here again is the very small (but expected) amount of downtown noise.

For extended stay, I'd stay at Inn at Northrup Station only because they have kitchenettes and free parking.

I can't believe this hotel charges only +/- $150/night!!

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank ruben900
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 4, 2005

I have just returned from a business trip during which I had a 10 night stay at the 5th Avenue suites. The hotel was very well situated for restaurants, shopping, night-spots in the Pearl District and tourist attractions. The area is totally safe to walk around, although common sense is needed at night time as it is anywhere in the world. The staff were always friendly and willing to help, and consistantly went above and beyond what I expected from them. The hotel room was lovely and included a bar fridge which meant that I did not have to order room service constantly as we all know it is generally expensive. I bought the majority of my groceries and meals at Whole Foods which is on NW 12th Ave. There are drycleaners around however they are a little tricky to find (the staff were unable to help me on this one) and I did not discover them until the end of my stay. The hotel does offer laundry services at a usual hotel rate which is always a large expense. I also happily spent time in their medium sized (for a hotel) fully equipt gym, which included cardio machines with entertainment monitors. Taxi fare to and from the airport is $30US. All in all, a very enjoyable stay! Would stay again and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank tunesm
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 2, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at 5th Avenue Suites the weekend of July 30th to August 1st. We've visited Portland numerous times and usually stay at the Westin. We decided to try something new this time. And are we ever glad that we did! 5th Avenue Suites is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. The front desk staff are amazing. They're very helpful and so friendly. Always there to recommend restaurants and even assist you in making reservations.

A front desk staff by the name of "Leaf" was remarkable. He recommended 2 great restaurants and helped us make reservations. He even asked us how our dinner was when we returned for the night.

We got upgraded to a King Suite for this weekend. The room was large and nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable and the honour bar was stocked with almost everything. The Suites are also quite large. Great bathroom and wonderful Aveda products.

Valet staff are professional and informative. Everyone that works at this hotel seems willing to help. They are sincere and just wonderful.

I will never stay at another hotel when visiting Portland again. Trust me.... there is NO comparison. Makes the westin seem so boring and generic.

• Stayed July 2005