“Would stay again - go elsewhere to eat”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I spent a few nights here during the Portland Film Festival and generally concur with other travelers. Rooms are nice suites, very comfortable beds. I was at the back of hotel and didn't experience any noise (facing Macy's). Mini bar items are plentiful and typically highly priced, altho you can remove things from fridge and use on your own, so no bother there. I think you could request staff to remove all their mini bar junk ahead of time if you wanted too.
Staff are mostly young and genuinely helpful and friendly.
I am mystified by the hotel's breakfast and food arrangements with the attached restaurant. The $1 bfast option is a no-changes allowed - oj (no change to other juices), coffee, 1 pastry and cut fruit. If was fine, but to have a "boutique" helpful hotel being so stingy, seems misplaced. Prices and choices at the restaurant are not what they need to be to get guests in there deliberately, with so many options downtown.
The evening happy hour (5-6?) is nice and the lobby fills quickly. Sometime they also have other treats, some local fantastic chocolate was being shared one of our nights. The business center is tiny with maybe 3 computers, and they charge by the quarter hour.
Dogs can be all about, so if you can't tolerate dogs, go elsewhere. I did have a dog jump on me on an elevator, which I do NOT appreciate at all. I blame the moron at the other end of the leash.
The hotel is a short two block walk from Pioneer Square, so you can take the light rail in from the airport (fare $2.30) and quickly arrive at hotel.
Attached Aveda Spa occasionally runs "in hotel" specials, when we were there, massages and facials were "on sale" for $55 and then one day massages were $45. Two of us got them (massages) and they were actually FANTASTIC, so I recommend the spa - very nice and friendly people there too. I wish I'd gotten in there more than once.
Price - we booked via the hotel's website and got terrific web special rates. (I think it was around $104 pre-tax, which seems unbelievable compared to their rack.) It may be useful to join their hotel club too.

Pro's: good rooms; good location; good massages next door; nice lobby vibe; enjoyable happy hour; morning starbucks in lobby; very pleasant staff, good web rates

Neutral: dogs; junk for sale in room (easy to ignore - a little annoying)

Cons: Pricey restaurant; housekeeping not perfect, ice machines not on every floor; "warming shelter" DIRECTLY across the street (you may see the homeless lining up)

I'm sure you will enjoy it here if you go (unless you don't like dogs....)

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Thank Ms.Travels

Reviewed February 20, 2009

I have always enjoyed Kimpton hotels and this is no exception. VERY attentive staff, clean rooms with LCD TV, free Wi-Fi, nice location, etc... My only warning is that the hotel restaurant (Red Star Tavern) is insanely overpriced. This is also true with the room service which is provided by the Red Star. There are plenty of other dining options close by. Also to note, the Monaco will provide you with a goldfish to keep you company during your stay :-)

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank soderblom
Steve080, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2009

Dear soderblom -

Thank you very much for your recent review of the Hotel Monaco Portland. It is important to us that every guest experience is exceptional and we always appreciate the valued feedback that we receive.

Your comments regarding Red Star Tavern & Roast House are also important to us as we continue to review and revise our offerings and reflect cuisine and other items that our guests seek out. Thank you also for this review.

If we may provide additional assistance on any future visit to the Portland area or another 'Kimpton City' - please let us know as we would be happy to help.

Steve S.
for Hotel Monaco Portland

Reviewed February 14, 2009

This was a very well appointed and well located hotel. Beautiful rooms and common areas. Walking distance from everything Portland has to offer. BUT. I was bothered from the beginning by the nickel and diming that was going on... there was a price on almost everything in the room, from a $15 razor, to a very overpriced mini bar selection, to a silly teddy bear and robes for sale. Then I returned home to find a $5 non - itemized charge made on my card for a "mini bar item", which just on principle, I definitely did not incur. This leads me to believe possibly somewhere in accounting someone has a little side income worked out for themselves. I called the hotel, they told me they would take the charge off but that I would need to call back on Monday when their accounting department was open. How many people don't bother to check? Also their rate for parking was $31 per day. Garage parking around the corner could be had for $12 per day. Sooo...very nice hotel... but just check your statement when you get home to make sure there are no false charges.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank mj-in-ca
Reviewed February 10, 2009

What a wonderful hotel the Monaco is! My husband and I were on our way to an outdoor wedding and had a 1 night stopover in Portland before we headed south to the venue. It was a wedding in the woods, and we had our dog with us. We had planned to camp outside Portland, and were panicked to find that every campsite was full.

Using my cell phone, I had my mother pull up names of dog friendly hotels on the internet and give me their numbers. I called the Monaco and booked a room in less than 2 minutes. 5 minutes later, we were a the hotel. Needless to say, we were set for camping, and not looking quite as put together as the rest of the guests at the hotel, yet we were treated with absolute respect as though we were dressed to the nines. I agree that the valet parking is pricey, but they went above and beyond helping us get or things out of the car, buried under sleeping bags and propane stoves.

Once we'd checked in, we were given a "gift bag" for our dog that included very nice organic dog treats, an adorable dog bed, water dish, all sorts of great things. Daisy (our dog) loved all the attention and even got her picture taken for the guest book.

The rooms themselves are beautiful. Not huge, but whimsical and luxurious at the same time. This trip was a really wonderful mistake, and we'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gogomagogo
Reviewed January 26, 2009

We took a chance and booked a hotel through Hotwire, not knowing what hotel we would be assigned until after the purchase was complete. Were we ever thrilled to find out that Hotel Monaco was the one for us! We were given a Queen Deluxe room, and although not real roomy, was just right for the two of us- funky decor, comfortable bed and pillows, very clean, nice view, etc. The fitness center had quality equipment, and the complimentary happy hour and morning papers/coffee was nice. Nice central location and good service. Only downfall- $31 dollar/night valet parking was way over the top in my opinion as an only option. We chose to park two blocks away at a SmartPark garage- only $5/day on the weekend. Loved our experience- we had a lot of fun at the Hotel Monaco!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cruisingfamily
Reviewed January 25, 2009

We had a lovely suite. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is pet friendly and welcomed "Gracie" with a basket of goodies. There was good dining nearby. The only negative was the $30 daily parking fee.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2009

I spent 3 nights at the Hotel Monaco with my husband, our 1 year old son and my parents. It was my parents' first visit to Portland, and we wanted to be in the heart of everything: near public transit, the Pearl District, Chinatown and Pioneer Square. We chose the Hotel Monaco's double double suite so that we could have beds for the married folks plus an extra bed for my son. The room was fantastic! I mean, there was absolutely nothing I would change or add on to it. Beautifully decorated in modern design, plenty of pillows and extra blankets, a nice, well-lit desk for working, loads of snacks and drinks, 24 hour room service, free wireless access for our laptops, 2 TV's (one in the bedroom and one in the living room), and YES! - Aveda products in the bathroom. For any breastfeeding mommies out there, the room even had a very nice, cold and roomy refrigerator for you to store milk in. There were 4 adults and 1 kid, and we never felt crowded - plenty of room for our suitcases in the closet and the bedroom.

While I loved my room, wow - I was really dazzled by the chic, comfortable lobby. First, it SMELLED great. I can't even imagine how they pump in the scent (is it from the heating system?), but the minute you get out of the elevator, it smells fabulous! The lobby has beautiful art, a nice cozy fireplace with lots of cushiony chairs and sofas for curling up with a book, a grand piano, and Starbucks coffee and Tazo tea always on hand for a little pick me up. I took loads of photos of the lobby - how on earth could anyone possibly call it rundown? It looked like it had been remodeled just this year. It is gorgeous! There is an entrance from the lobby that leads to an Aveda spa, and I only wish I had acted sooner to book a massage. I couldn't believe what a great deal they were offering for a 1 hour massage. We had a spectacular breakfast at the Red Star Tavern, the restaurant located at the bottom of the Hotel Monaco. Great coffee and great food: wild mushroom omelette, waffle with fresh blueberries, chorizo scramble... Our family loved everything we ordered. The next morning, we had another gourmet breakfast around the corner at Mother's Bistro. I loved that we could walk from the Hotel Monaco to Mother's Bistro, the Flying Elephant Deli and Voodoo Doughnut - the place is surrounded by great eateries, so Foodies, this is your spot!

Every interaction I had with the staff of Hotel Monaco was pleasant and helpful. Hmm... if I had to ding anything, I would say the $31 a night parking fee was a bit steep. But, with a baby and a stroller, I was pretty happy to pay for the convenience of not having to walk to our car and carry all the diaper bags, books and toys up and down to our room every day and night.

The topper: my father ended up leaving his hearing aids in the drawer of the nightstand in our room. These are $3000 hearing aids, so you can imagine how panicked my mom was! The hotel staff took the hearing aids and packaged them, along with the little batteries, in a plastic sealed bag. Then, they nestled it in styrofoam and sent it back to us First Class. We were so thrilled that the hotel staff took the time to pack up my dad's delicate (and expensive!) hearing aids for him.

So, start to finish, this was an unforgettable hotel experience. We come to Portland to visit my in-laws several times a year, and we plan on staying here every time from now on.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family