“Good choice for downtown Portland”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good choice for downtown Portland”
Reviewed November 18, 2008

The hotel has a very friendly atmosphere; I felt like I am in a small home with a very artistic lobby and very kind staff; the rooms are beatiful, but nothing very fancy; the only problem I should mention-the windows are drifty, but you don't feel cold inside cause the air conditioning/heater works very well; it's true that they try to sell you anything, but you don't have to buy it if you don't like it. Valet parking is very efficient; breakfast in Red Star restaurant very good and delicious; not much of a variety though for dinner and nothing very fancy, except for the way the plate comes decorated. I would definitely recommend this hotel especially for the home atmosphere it creates for its guests and the artistic taste that was used for its decoration. Price is a bit high I think for what it offers.

• Liked — friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — drafty windows
1 Thank danut15

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 11, 2008

I stayed at Hotel Monaco in November 2008 for a few days. I've seen the hotel reviewed and was looking forward to staying there.

Pros
1. The hotel is in a great location. You are a few blocks from the downtown district, with many activities nearby.

2. The hotel doesn't just accept dogs, it embraces them. I didn't have my dog on the trip, but many people did. Their lobby has cushions for the dogs, and it's clear they try to cater to this group.

3. The valet (for car). This guy was on his game. Very professional and eager to assist. Provided directions to the surrounding area, the airport, and was eager to ensure all of my questions were addressed.

Average
The rooms were acceptable size and outfitted with standard amenities.

Cons
1. The rest of the hotel service. I checked in and had very curt service, as if they had to go out of their way to help me.

The worst experience was when I was checking out early in the morning. The lady "assisting" me was dismissive. She indicated my car was being brought up, but when I went back to ask her where it was being brought up (thinking "up" meant to street level), she acted annoyed and was dismissive. She was far more interested in just about everything but serving the customer.

2. The constant sales pitch. Everything in the hotel room is a sales pitch. Stuffed animal placed on the bed, and you can buy it. Tacky lingerie and animal print robes in the closet, and you can buy them. Most hotels offer things for sale, but everything here has a cost. Don't innundate me with stuff for sale.

3. The noise. My room was extremely noisy throughout the night.

I'm traveling back and forth to Portland a few times over the next few months, but I'll be staying in the Marriott around the corner. For $150/night I expect decent service, and this was awful.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank Midwest_Rob
oregon
Reviewed October 29, 2008

What an amazing discovery. The location is central to any place you want to walk in Portland. The rooms are decorated in an eclectic style but it works. The staff goes out of their way to be helpful. It was also so quiet in the hotel, almost if no one else was there.

• Liked — wonderful, comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
2 Thank chrystal56
Seattle
Reviewed October 28, 2008

The Monaco is my favorite hotel in Portland. Excellent service, friendly staff, great restaurant / room service, and the now-rare min-bar in the room.
Location is ideal, and rates are very competitive with other Portland properties. I highly recommend the Monaco!

• Liked — All Suites
  • Disliked — No answer
2 Thank Biztravler
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 20, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco Portland from October 6-9. We arrived via Amtrack and the Monaco is just a short ride away. They were doing construction right outside the hotel at the time and when we requested a room on a higher floor (they put us on the third) they obliged and met us at room 808 to give us new keys. I was very impressed and happy with their customer service during our stay.

The room (and hotel) is decorated pretty funky with bright colors and patterns that somehow go together. The bed was kind of small – felt more like a full size instead of a queen, but we had a nice flat screen tv, desk, two nightstands, closet and large bathroom. Beware of the minibar - some really good snacks and beverages are provided - we were tempted by a few!

We hardly heard any noise during our stay. Room service was delivered quickly - we ordered three times and liked pretty much everything (except the prices but that's to be expected). They did mess up one order and sent the wrong sandwich but immediately sent the right one up, along with a complimentary bottle of wine.

The gym had fairly new cardio equipment, each with it's own built-in TV and a good selection of free weights and machines. They provide headphones if needed for the TV's.

Internet was free if you sign up for their Kimpton Hotel rewards club. Just make sure you show your Kimpton rewards card if you didn't book your stay with it and the front desk will take care of it.

The location was convenient as we walked pretty much everywhere. There is also excellent public transportation (free in the fareless square). A good number of restaurants and bars are nearby.

The only thing we were disappointed in was not being able to have pizza delivered late at night - we tried a few places but most appeared to close by 10. Not sure if this is typical or if it was because it was during the week and not the weekend.

We finally managed to meet Art right before we left - the hotel's dog and "head of customer service." He was so friendly, as were all the employees we encountered during our stay. The consierge was also very helpful in recommending a tasty breakfast cafe and a nearby place to play pool and get some drinks.

Overall we were very pleased with the hotel. I would highly recommend the Hotel Monaco Portland - loved the funky decorations, the cleanliness, helpful employees and Art!

• Liked — Comfortable bed, modern ammenities, funky decor, Art
  • Disliked — Although not the hotel's fault the construction right outside the entrance.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank beachlover325
Vancouver
Reviewed October 17, 2008

A belated review - my wife and I stayed there for several days in August. We got a suite at an attractive rate and really enjoyed the comfort, style, amenities, cocktail hour, dog (and we're cat people) and on and on. The place is luxurious and has tremendous service, yet provides it without airs. How very Portland. Being classy and attentive without pretension and preciousness shows a penthouse-to-garage service culture that really works.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Likesjazz
Paris, France
Reviewed October 16, 2008

I love Kimpton hotels, so despite reading every mediocre and negative review, I chose this hotel. It is true, the Kimpton's are not really 4-stars.

We chose the $50 upgrade to the suite with a room divider sliding door and it was well-worth it, because as others mentioned, ALL Kimpton hotels seem to be over-stuffed with Disney-influenced furniture, leaving little room to BE in your room, except in bed. Without a living room, it's tough to move around the furniture crammed in the single rooms.

We asked for a view-room and had a nice peak of Mt. Hood. We were on the top floors, so it was lovely and quiet.

We had a glitch with housekeeping before a wedding that wasn't ideal. But I won't go into it, because even though her front desk failed us, the manager responded appropriately.

Aside from the manager, in general, I have to say we weren't very impressed with customer service. I had to call several times trying to figure out how to turn on a lamp on and felt like the front desk was definitely annoyed and questioning my I.Q. (The lamp ended up being broken). Later we came to realize, this feeling that none of the staff gave a damn was probably just an Oregon thing. They're so darn nice, and they're pretty laid back. So something that might horrify a big city person, isn't really that huge to them. And what seems like a lack of concern, is probably just a better perspective than most of us have. They're probably thinking we should all have a beer and relax.

*If you wish to have a massage or spa treatment during your stay be certain to book BEFORE you arrive. Book with the spa connected to the hotel - the front desk can connect you. This spa is half the price of any in-room treatments and conveniently connected to the lobby so you can go down in your crazy animal robe (we saw a few folks do this). But if you don't book before your trip, expect it to be unavailable. This is a tiny, tiny spa with only one or two treatment rooms, and a steam room.

The Kimpton restaurant across the street was SO delicious (and I am so picky), that we dined there three times in four days. The service was excellent.

I also highly recommend visiting the Chinese tea house,within walking distance of the hotel.

We took the Amtrak Coastline Express from California to Oregon and back, and it was a long trip but fantastic. Great views of the coast, rivers and lakes along the way. It was very relaxing (unlike the airport) and although the food is very mediocre dining is included with a sleeper, and they even had wine tasting. I recommend it.

• Liked — Location. Location. Location.
  • Disliked — Oregon-style customer service takes some loosening up to.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends