“Wonderful hotel!!”

Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Graham, Washington
“Wonderful hotel!!”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The room was amazing and the service was perfect. I went for my birthday. When the hotel staff found out they sent up a free bottle of champagne!!! The wine and beer hour was a wonderful surprise also. The only problem I ran in to was my guests had to find parking on the busy streets of Portland.

• Stayed January 2014
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thanks for your recent Trip Advisor review. We are so glad you decided to spend your birthday celebration here. I was happy to see that you did get our complimentary bottle of champagne. We try to send a bottle of champagne or wine to every birthday or anniversary guest who stays with us.

Happy Birthday..... (belated sorry)

Craig

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
Portland OR.
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This review is a little late, I stayed here while I was in between homes. The service, evening wine hour, rooms are all top notch. I even enjoyed room service a few times, which was quick and a notch above any other room service I've tried. Its a short walk to the malls and shopping as well as to most things downtown.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank timeats
Thanks for your recent TGrip Advsor review. We really appreciate the feedback. I was happy to note that our hotel (and room service) lived up to your expectations.

We look forward to your next visit.

Craig Thompson
Orlando, FL
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I travel quite a bit for work, so I stay in my share of hotels, and most of my hotel experiences tend to all sort fall into the same bucket - not a bad experience but nothing to set it apart from the one before.
From the moment you walk into Hotel Monaco you can tell it's going to be a bit different. Every one of the staff goes out of their way to welcome you and treat you like you're staying in the penthouse, even if you're not. They are friendly, but not in a condescending way. They truly seem to want to make your experience great. Everything has a sort of fun/funky vibe to it which is a welcome change compared to the stuffy corporate feel that a lot of other hotels have.
There are a bunch of other reviews with tons of details, but I'll give you the bullet point version of what I enjoyed about the hotel.
-Super friendly staff
-Large gym with lots of equipment
-Funky/Fun vibe
-Complimentary wine/beer happy hour
-Spacious quirky rooms and decor
-Nice toiletries (shampoo/soap/bodywash)
-Coffee/Tea in the lobby each morning
-Nice location with a lot of dinner/shopping options

I've already booked my next stay with them, and am really looking forward to it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
oregon coast
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My wife, my 105 pound Chesapeake Bay Retriever and myself have stayed here over 10 times. It has always been exceptional in every way. The staff is always friendly and very efficient, They strive for and reach perfection. We will never stay anywhere else in Portland. It is worth splurging on. Special thanks to Tim, Justin, and as always Jessica. General manager Mr. Thompson really has the staff and facility running at world class level. Thanks to all who work so hard to make every trip special.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from the Hotel Monaco and have absolutely no complaints. The hotel is located very centrally in downtown Portland, only a couple of blocks from the airport tram. My travel plans changed at the last minute so ended up getting to Portland at 9:30 am and the room was actually ready thanks to Talawna at the front desk who was beyond helpful. We were upgraded to a suite, so the room was definitely spacious. The hotel in and of itself felt very spacious, high ceilings, wide hallways and huge lobby lounge area (which was packed over the weekend wine happy hours). The fitness room was also quite large with decent equipment for a hotel and chilled bottled water. If I return to Portland, I will be booking the Monaco again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend, our pitbull and I stayed here over the Valentines Day weekend. Although the nightly rate and parking is high it was definitely nice to treat ourselves. The rooms are decorated with ultra funky decor which makes you really get a sense of what Portland is about. They have designated pet friendly floors and we were upgraded to a room with two beds. Which was nice because of the sorry excuse of a dog bed they provides, 'Kess' got a full bed to herself. During happy hour people and dogs are milling about and no one seems to care. Pet friendly in its full essence.

Worth the stay, treat yourselves.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We are on our last night at the Hotel Monaco in Portland, and have truly enjoyed our stay. So much so that it prompted my first review on TripAdvisor. We checked in on a very busy day (Valentine's Day) and were nevertheless treated with personal attention. At check in, we needed to combine multiple reservations, and the staff handled our unique situation flawlessly.
We stayed at the Monaco once before (more than a year back, which was a great stay) but this was our first time staying as members of Kimpton's Inner Circle. From check-in we were treated like royalty. We received an upgraded room, and were greeted by great snacks when we got to the room. The hotel staff even went out of their way to find great treats for my dietary restricted (gluten free and dairy free) fiancee. Unbelievable service! Everyone on the staff is helpful, cheerful, and genuinely seems to enjoy their job. I strongly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a great spot in downtown.
One note: parking is quite expensive at $38 per night. While this is expected at a downtown location, you could probably do better by parking in a nearby lot. Or better yet, leave your car altogether and take advantage of the free bikes they have available.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business