“Worth it. ”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend, our pitbull and I stayed here over the Valentines Day weekend. Although the nightly rate and parking is high it was definitely nice to treat ourselves. The rooms are decorated with ultra funky decor which makes you really get a sense of what Portland is about. They have designated pet friendly floors and we were upgraded to a room with two beds. Which was nice because of the sorry excuse of a dog bed they provides, 'Kess' got a full bed to herself. During happy hour people and dogs are milling about and no one seems to care. Pet friendly in its full essence.

Worth the stay, treat yourselves.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We are on our last night at the Hotel Monaco in Portland, and have truly enjoyed our stay. So much so that it prompted my first review on TripAdvisor. We checked in on a very busy day (Valentine's Day) and were nevertheless treated with personal attention. At check in, we needed to combine multiple reservations, and the staff handled our unique situation flawlessly.
We stayed at the Monaco once before (more than a year back, which was a great stay) but this was our first time staying as members of Kimpton's Inner Circle. From check-in we were treated like royalty. We received an upgraded room, and were greeted by great snacks when we got to the room. The hotel staff even went out of their way to find great treats for my dietary restricted (gluten free and dairy free) fiancee. Unbelievable service! Everyone on the staff is helpful, cheerful, and genuinely seems to enjoy their job. I strongly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a great spot in downtown.
One note: parking is quite expensive at $38 per night. While this is expected at a downtown location, you could probably do better by parking in a nearby lot. Or better yet, leave your car altogether and take advantage of the free bikes they have available.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I have only wonderful things to say about this Hotel. The staff are incredibly nice and helpful; the ambiance has the perfect amount of Portland quirkiness; the wine tasting by the fireplace with the dogs is wonderful; and it's in a great location. Love staying here, love Portland, and will keep returning!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mardi M
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Great location, very nice and helpful staff and lovely room. Couldn't have had a nicer time! And extra bonus with Friday and Saturday night wine and liquor samples with tasty cookies. We had bad weather that weekend but doorman and front desk very helpful with travel plans.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 11, 2014

There are a great many things about this hotel that my husband and I really enjoy. Here is a list of some of them, in no particular order:
- the location (walking distance to much that is fun and interesting in Portland)
- the staff (cheerful, friendly, helpful, attentive)
- the ambiance (fun, funky and playful decor)
- the activities in the lobby (complimentary wine and snacks each evening with live piano music, arts and crafts projects for young and old, life size Jenga game)
- a nicely equipped gym facility
- spacious, comfortable guest rooms (most hotel beds are too squishy soft for us and these are just right).

And all of this comes at a very reasonable price. I highly recommend this hotel (we've stayed here twice now over the past few years) and plan to stay here again on future trips to Portland. If you like a hotel with a sense of whimsy that still takes customer service seriously, this is the place for you.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Had planned to stay in this lovely Portland hotel for a couple of nights.....because of an unexpected snow/ice storm, we were marooned in the city for 6 days. The hotel was most accommodating in every way. Housekeepers could not get to work....although we could get new towels and necessities, our room was not cleaned that day. We were given a $25 credit on our room that night. Had plenty of wine and snacks at Happy Hour, coffee, hot chocolate in morning and hot cider in afternoon. The staff are SO friendly, helpful, knew what restaurants were open, helped with transportation, etc. Will most definitely be back to Hotel Monaco in Portland!
Excellent value!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kscaa
Reviewed February 7, 2014

It had been a while since I have stayed at the Monaco. There were new faces in the garage, the front desk and the door. It was great to see that the Monaco warmth and charm was instilled in these new employees. They greeted me warmly, inquired about my dogs as well as my travels. It is clear the values are coming from the management down to the front lines.

My stay was awesome as usual. The reason I am compelled to write a new review about this property is because what happened after I left. When I got home an unpacked I realized an item had slipped out of a bag. It was not worth s ton of money but it was valuable and more valuable to me. I wrote the front desk manager inquiring if any one had turned it in. Within a few hours I received a reply back that in fact the employees had found it and turned it in.

I admire any establishment that values employees honesty and integrity. When staying at a hotel you think of it like your temporary home. It is nice to know that the family at the Monaco are looking after me as though I am family. The Monaco continues to be one of my most favorite hotels.

Room Tip: There are a lot of rooms to choose from. I would suggest splurging and going for the grand suite wit...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo