“Pet and Family Friendly”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Austin, Texas
“Pet and Family Friendly”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We had a great 3 night stay at the Hotel Monaco Portland for our first family trip with baby in tow. Service was flawless and the stay came complete with all the Kimpton amenities: a festive evening wine reception, fast WIFI, tastefully decorated (and spacious) rooms with comfortable beds and linens, helpful staff. We also went through Kimpton to hire a babysitter for a date night and we were very pleased with the experienced sitter (cost was reasonable, too). The downtown location is just perfect, easy access to transit so really no need for a car. We very much enjoyed our stay at The Monaco.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We had a great 3 day stay at Hotel Monaco. The location is great-right in the heart of downtown. The lobby area is cozy and we liked the evening wine and tea. Our room was small but cute and comfortable. After we returned home, I realized that I left a few clothing items in the closet. I called the hotel and asked about the items and they were shipped to me within a few days. I was impressed by this and very thankful. We would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beth R
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed here during the last week of December 2013, the rooms were cute and unique, which I really liked - but we got stuck on the second floor where there are a bunch of meeting rooms as well as where the staff grabs the essesntials for the rooms ( towel and supply closet), obviously that location affected my stay. We were right above an area where thewy came to collect garbage and I was kept up at night by a bum shuffling through bottles. We also arrived at 1 pm - check in is at 3, we could not check in early and we asked the staff at the front desk to hold our bags, and after 5 minutes or so of waiting, the young lady said she had forgotten. Overall, I did like the hotel and I know it was a very busy weekend for them. I think its great they are pet friendly and overall you could tell the staff was well trained and tried their best to make every guest feel important ( the doormen were especially nice). They have a wonderful wine hour and coffee in the morning and they really seem to think about the little things that can make a stay great. I would stay here again as the location is great for shopping, eating etc...within very short distances, I would request a higher floor next time ( although there areonly 9 floors in the whole hotel).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your recent review to Trip Advisor. We really appreciate the feedback. I noted that your room location was less than ideal. I am sorry that you had that experience. We have 10 floors of rooms in the hotel. There is no doubt that the higher floors will experience less outside noise, but we ususally don't have too many noise complaints. On your next visit e mail me and I will make certain that you get our quietest suite. We look forward to the very great pleasure of serving you again in the hopefully near future.

Craig

Craig Thompson
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I really wanted to love this place. I booked my room a month in advance and when I arrive to check-in at 7:30pm on a Saturday night my room is not ready and not only is my room not ready, but they don't have the room that I booked available for me - I booked two queen beds- not 1 king bed - the guy at the front desk tells me that that's not what I booked so I pull up my confirmation to show him that he is the one that is wrong - no apology for this. He tells me that my room will be ready in 5 minutes and sends us to the bar with a 1 free drink voucher each. It is not 5 minutes. Its 25 minutes before the room is ready. We are late for our dinner reservation and end up losing our table at the restaurant and having to figure out another plan. He says that maybe he can move us to the correct type of room the next night but there is never any follow up or offer to do so the following day. I work in this industry . I know things aren't perfect and that mistakes happen but it is ALL ABOUT how you handle those mishaps and the recovery. Making your guests feel like they were just swept under the rug is the worst feeling as a paying customer. I have always been a kimpton hotel fan but this front desk team needs a little coaching on how to deal with imperfect scenarios. Major disappointment from a service perspective. Besides this, the room quality and beds are great - love the design of the rooms - the whimsy hummingbird wall paper is fabulous and the location is ideal is you need to be in the downtown area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sarah s
Thanks so much for taking the time to fill out a Trip Advisor review. I apologize for the difficulties that you encountered. I'm not certain why your room was not ready or why we did not have the correct room type available, but I can assure you that I will research this and do what we need to do to insure that this type of error does not reoccur. We pride ourselves on service recovery and I was not only surprised, but shocked by the lack of follow through. I hope that you will give us a chance to make this right. Should you book a return visit perhaps you could e mail me so that I can personally see to the details of your stay.

Craig

Craig Thompson
Saratoga, CA
Reviewed January 7, 2014

What more can you ask for? Stayed over the 2013 Thanksgiving holiday. Conveniently located to walk around downtown: Pioneer Sq., Powell's, many restaurants. Public transport nearby. Friendliest hotel service I have ever seen from the doorman, valet, front desk, restaurant, and housekeeping.....all with a warm smile. Rooms very clean, well-stocked and roomy. Great room service, even during the holiday rush. Booked one 2 queen suite and one king deluxe, Had to ask for the allergy-free floor because of kids' pet allergies (down-side was many dogs). Hotel was very accommodating. Restaurant was delish for every meal and service prompt and friendly. Fresh lox and bagels every morning and I was in heaven. :-) Not five circles only because the last day there presented a disheveled lobby/lounge area with nowhere to sit. It was Xmas decoration dismantling day, but would have been better to wait until before or after the check-out rush time. Also, the Loyalty Member room upgrade was not available as hoped. But, it was a holiday weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for the allergy-free floors if you have allergies to dogs. Upper floors have less street noise...