“So Disappointing!!”

Ranked #2 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Manhattan Beach, California
“So Disappointing!!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I really wanted to love this place. I booked my room a month in advance and when I arrive to check-in at 7:30pm on a Saturday night my room is not ready and not only is my room not ready, but they don't have the room that I booked available for me - I booked two queen beds- not 1 king bed - the guy at the front desk tells me that that's not what I booked so I pull up my confirmation to show him that he is the one that is wrong - no apology for this. He tells me that my room will be ready in 5 minutes and sends us to the bar with a 1 free drink voucher each. It is not 5 minutes. Its 25 minutes before the room is ready. We are late for our dinner reservation and end up losing our table at the restaurant and having to figure out another plan. He says that maybe he can move us to the correct type of room the next night but there is never any follow up or offer to do so the following day. I work in this industry . I know things aren't perfect and that mistakes happen but it is ALL ABOUT how you handle those mishaps and the recovery. Making your guests feel like they were just swept under the rug is the worst feeling as a paying customer. I have always been a kimpton hotel fan but this front desk team needs a little coaching on how to deal with imperfect scenarios. Major disappointment from a service perspective. Besides this, the room quality and beds are great - love the design of the rooms - the whimsy hummingbird wall paper is fabulous and the location is ideal is you need to be in the downtown area.

2 Thank sarah s
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to fill out a Trip Advisor review. I apologize for the difficulties that you encountered. I'm not certain why your room was not ready or why we did not have the correct room type available, but I can assure you that I will research this and do what we need to do to insure that this type of error does not reoccur. We pride ourselves on service recovery and I was not only surprised, but shocked by the lack of follow through. I hope that you will give us a chance to make this right. Should you book a return visit perhaps you could e mail me so that I can personally see to the details of your stay.

Craig

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
Saratoga, CA
Reviewed January 7, 2014

What more can you ask for? Stayed over the 2013 Thanksgiving holiday. Conveniently located to walk around downtown: Pioneer Sq., Powell's, many restaurants. Public transport nearby. Friendliest hotel service I have ever seen from the doorman, valet, front desk, restaurant, and housekeeping.....all with a warm smile. Rooms very clean, well-stocked and roomy. Great room service, even during the holiday rush. Booked one 2 queen suite and one king deluxe, Had to ask for the allergy-free floor because of kids' pet allergies (down-side was many dogs). Hotel was very accommodating. Restaurant was delish for every meal and service prompt and friendly. Fresh lox and bagels every morning and I was in heaven. :-) Not five circles only because the last day there presented a disheveled lobby/lounge area with nowhere to sit. It was Xmas decoration dismantling day, but would have been better to wait until before or after the check-out rush time. Also, the Loyalty Member room upgrade was not available as hoped. But, it was a holiday weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for the allergy-free floors if you have allergies to dogs. Upper floors have less street noise...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Redding, California
Reviewed January 6, 2014

One of the nicest Hotel experiences ever. Good location--easy in and out. This hotel is a dog lover's dream. It's also a dog's dream. Treats at the front desk, friendly dog sitters at the lobby and all seemed to love my dogs as much as I. A lot of pet friendly hotels are not people friendly due to cleanliness and odors, but the floors restricted to pets were just as clean and smelled just as fresh as the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Never been to Portland before---read the reviews on TA and decided to try. Not disappointed! Great staff and excellent rooms. Location couldn't be beat: Voodoo Donuts and Pioneer Square all within walking distance.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bay area
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We made reservations for our Family gathering place as a Christmas Celebration. I booked two suites that connected. From the moment that we walked through the doors our entire stay was wonderful! Just to mention a few things; there was a small Christmas tree in our room. My daughter is gluten intolerant....it was her birthday so the hotel sent up fabulous vanilla cupcakes. She said they were the best ever. The bellman was great he made several suggestions and they were all very good recommendations! Our room was immaculate. And I must mention the wine hour which was like one big party....live music lots if interesting people...really fun. Our entire family loved hotel Monaco...we would not hesitate to stay again.....best sofa couch, I think it is memory foam!

Room Tip: Loved the king sweet and the queen-queen suite! The hotel is beautiful!
Green Features: Really great....lots of recycling encouraged! They also offer allergy free rooms...my daughter that has a lot if allergies was completely comfortable.
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in July, during the heatwave, and peak season. We were traveling with our dog. The Hotel Monaco were SO friendly and welcoming. We loved that our dog's name was written on the doggie chalkboard and that there were treats for him at the front desk. The lobby/lounge was amazing and had new human treats everyday- we especially liked the freezer full of local ice cream! We took advantage of the complimentary yoga classes, and enjoyed the happy hour drinks and treats. The room itself was quirky and wonderful, with luxurious amenities and more treats for our dog. The two-queen suite was spacious enough that we were able to entertain our friends in the sitting room. LOVED it. Highly recommended, and especially if you have a dog. One tricky thing about Portland with pets- and this is no fault of the hotel- there is very little grass anywhere! We usually dashed down to the river with our dog for bathroom breaks and walks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
RADIUM HOT SPRINGS
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We lucked into the Hotel Monaco through a HotWire fly and stay deal. The rooms are unique, the staff are welcoming and very knowledgeable AND the hotel is pet friendly! The adjoining restaurant is excellent with a good variety.The hotel serves local estate winery vintage at the complimentary happy hour every day and do not stint on the pour.Loved hanging out in the lobby being part of the buzz or warming up at the fireplace after walking along the river trails. We also had a chance to sample the local market just before Xmas and I am in awe at the variety and excellence of the artists who participate in the market. It is within walking distance of Powell's Books, Nordstrom's, Macys and all the food trucks. Try it. You won't be disappointed.

Green Features: The hotel recycles, does not use plastic garbage bags in the rooms, and asks patrons to not be wasteful.