“Hotel Monaco is a Winner”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Arizona
“Hotel Monaco is a Winner”
Reviewed August 5, 2008

After discovering the Kimpton Hotel Group on a trip to Seattle, I just had to stay again, this time at The Hotel Monaco in Portalnd. I am delighted that I did. Check in was friendly and helpful. I arrived early and was upgraded to a King Suite which was delightful. The real thrill was getting a personal greeting from Art the Director of Pet Relations. Hotel is located in the downtown area but there is a lot of neighborhood construction which will require you to have a city map. Portland doesn't have the best street signage. My room was spacious and comfortable chock full of Aveda amenities. Easy walking distance to all shopping and the Riverfront as well as the Max Light Rail, Bus Transportation, and Street Car. The Red Star restaurant next to the hotel is outstanding with first rate service and sublime cuisine. Morning coffee and newspapers are terrific as is the evening Wine Bar. I would suggest that wine servers be a bit more helpful about describing the wines and writing down favorites for guests. I had a fabulous Chardonnay but the help was too busy chatting with her associate to give me more details. I did want to buy a bottle while in Portland. I deleted one star from this review due to the groups in house that were allowed to be in the guest living room with their loud talk and consuming all of the coffee. I had to wait numerous times to wait for coffee and cream to be replenished. Note to Group Sales Manager, please keep groups in their assigned conference rooms. The living room and elevator music was not appropriate in the morning. I don't like to be greeted with heavy metal rock music. If this is a corporate standard, it shouldn't be. Staff overall was excellent but can be a bit more outgoing with the guests. Housekeeping once again superb as with all Kjmptons. These hard working folks are extremely friendly and efficient. Nice job Hotel Monaco!

• Liked — Location and outstanding Kimpton quality.
  • Disliked — Morning music selection and hotel group members lingering around the lobby and living room.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank SpicynShellie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2008

The Hotel Monaco is an excellent hotel. We (a family of four) stayed in two adjoining suites for a week. The rooms were spacious and very clean, the hotel staff was friendly and helpful, and the location was perfect. I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Portland.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Erastus10
Las Cruces, NM
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Nice but not sure about 4 stars...The rooms were small and i found the decor to be over-the-top. The service and amenities were great and FREE wireless, which is rare in high-end hotels.

It was close to public transportation and parks, museums, etc.

• Liked — Good location
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank frallan
Chico, California
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I treated my three adult daughters to a weekend in Portland. We decided on Portland since some of us are from Northern California and some from the Seattle area. We chose the Hotel Monaco, mainly due to all the great reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed in two of the double double queen rooms. The rooms were adjoining rooms on the sixth floor. These rooms are very spacious and beautifully decorated rooms, with a separate sitting area and a very large bedroom area. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom quite spacious. Also, the Aveda products and robes were a nice touch. Hotel Monaco has acceptional employees from the parking attendant, bell hop, front desk, housekeeping etc. Everyone one we encountered at this hotel was friendly and helpful.

The 5:00 wine hour in the lobby is quite nice. Wine and beer are complimentary and there are martinis for a slight charge.

The location of the hotel is terrific for shopping, restaurants, walking to the Pearl District and my favorite, the Saturday Farmer's Market.

Portland is a wonderful city! We plan on making our Portland reunion an annual event.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank mauisun
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 20, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco in downtown Portland for 5 nights (average nightly rate of $203 - a AAA rate) for purposes of attending a conference. The Hotel is located fairly centrally and is only a short walk to/from the light rail system and many of the downtown stores and restaurants. The foyer and public lounge area of the hotel are attractive but perhaps a little on the small side - there didn't appear to be a lot of places where one could just hang out.
Our room (819) was attractively furnished and clean, however there was little room to move around due to the amount of hotel "stuff" in the room (furniture, pillows, minibar food, Minky the stuffed bear, etc, etc). On the plus side the bathroom was larger than expected and came with numerous toiletries (Aveda products). The view was ok, although it looked directly into an office building. We took a quick look at the fitness center on the 9th floor and it appeared to be perfectly well stocked with the usual equipment (although there are no windows in that room).
We found the service from all the hotel employees to be very high and the hotel generally has a nice feel to it. Things to note include: 1. This is a pet (read dog) hotel - we liked that, however if you are not a dog person you might want to look elsewhere; 2. The hotel offers a complimentary wine happy hour every evening - a nice touch although unfortunately due to our conference schedule we were unable to avail ourselves of this; 3. We ordered room service one morning and had brunch in the hotel restaurant (The Red Star) the following morning - both meals were fine but nothing special.; 4. Sign up for the Kimpton In Touch plan (which is free) ahead of time as this will allow you to receive free wifi in the hotel (a $6 per day savings).
Overall this is a good hotel that obviously prides itself on service. I would have given it 5 stars but the room size coupled with there being too much useless stuff in the room left us feeling that it wasn't quite a top notch hotel.

• Liked — Service, style, mood
  • Disliked — Room felt a tad cluttered
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Westby
san francisco
Reviewed July 15, 2008

I travel to Portland nearly once a month for business and over the past 5 years I've often stayed at the Monaco ( 5th Ave. Suites). I've always enjoyed the high level of professionalism, the location, and the comfortable, spacious rooms. Now with the new look I'm a bit less eager to stay there, it's just too loud for my taste. Plus, I can't say if it's related to the new color scheme but the rooms are not as quiet as before. Actually, it's the air system that drives me crazy. It's way too loud for a light sleeper like me.

The staff is still very nice, the afternoon wine is a pleasant touch, and the bakery a block away is still wonderful. Will I stay there again? Only if the price is right and if I take my earplugs.

• Liked — Beds
  • Disliked — Air heat/cooling system
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank jtravelmonthly
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Booked with Orbitz for 2 nights in July of 2008 for a MONACO KING SUITE. Our room was quite spacious, clean, efficient and nicely decorated. It had 2 (1 in bedroom area & one in the living room area) plasma TVs and refrigerator. We had a room on the 2nd floor right across the street from Macy’s with the bed was next to the windows. Staying for the weekend, the road noise was pretty much what was to be expected within a city. However, with the super comfortable bed we slept soundly.
The bathroom was also very spacious, had a wide shower/tub combo with great water pressure, plenty of vanity space and even a phone in there! The one detail that stands out with the bathroom was that the light switch is on a dimmer. Very nice when fumbling around in the middle of the night or early morning after a night of cocktails. I'm making arrangements to duplicate this at my own home.
The area is within walking distance to several shops, department stores & nice mall. And ladies – THERE IS NO SALES TAX here! Although I didn’t get the chance to ride it, the train/trolley seemed to be a very proficient means of getting around.
We had cocktails and breakfast in the hotel’s restaurant Red Star. The drinks were nice and breakfast – okay although a bit on the pricey side. After a couple of not so good meals within the area, we ended up heading out to the Pearl District for better meal options.
Everyone we encountered at the Hotel Monaco from the valet, bellhops, check-in/out reception & concierge were extremely helpful, professional and friendly. Excellent service! I would definitely stay here again if/when I visit.

• Liked — Funky modern decor
  • Disliked — would like more tv channels
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank traveling_minx
Steve080, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, July 15, 2008
Dear traveling...minx -

Thank you for both your reviews of our hotel, and of Portland in general (both are fabulous, but of course that's our bias!)

Hopefully you can return soon for another fun visit and experience more of the city - until then, thank you for your stay, and your review - it is truly appreciated!

Steve S.