“Such a cool property! Loved it”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Monaco for just 1 night, a couple of months ago, so my memory about the details is a bit foggy. But what I do recall was really liking this hotel! Great location in downtown Portland, but my favorite part is the decor. If you are looking for an all white room, to just turn your brain off and relax; this is not the place. If you are looking for a cleverly decorated, colorful, over the top but not crazy room, look no further. I loved the vintage-y Portland bridges wallpaper in the bathroom and the plaid bedding. The lobby was grand and the valets were very friendly, and I really appreciate the environmental awareness ("being green") that this hotel has. While my favorite PDX property is the Nines, this is a very close second (and with a different vibe). I look forward to staying here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Thank you for the great review and for staying with us. I'm glad you remember us, even if the details are a little fuzzy. I was happy to read you found the valet staff welcoming and the noticed our efforts as a green hotel. We look forward to having you with us again sometime soon.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Centrally located hotel with a friendly, efficient staff and well-appointed, clean and very spacious rooms. Great layout and very comfortable bed. Totally quiet even on street side. However, the decor of the rooms and public spaces is outlandishly over-the-top and will definitely give you the spins if you spend too much time concentrating on it. I counted EIGHT wildly different patterns in different color schemes while lying in bed. Crazy! And yet it kinda works because it's tacky and glitzy in a stylish way. Still, the style is Vegas, not Portland.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and for the great (and funny) review. The array of patterns really can be a shock to people the first time around, but somehow it all works together (I'm not really sure how either). I love your description and I hope we have the chance to dazzle you again.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I just love this place. The location within the city is ideal for dining, shopping, bars and business (Maybe not all at the same time). The staff are supper friendly and efficient. The rooms are quirky with tons of character, clean and comfortable. The whole place just feels good. The Red Star Tavern is a great accompaniment. Fantastic.

Room Tip: Any room within your budget
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us at the Hotel Monaco and for writing such a lovely review. I agree that perhaps you shouldn't try and squeeze all those things into one trip, but I think we could make it happen if needed. Of course, you can always come back and do some of the things you had to skip the first time around. I'm glad you had the chance to visit the Red Star Tavern while you were with us. I look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is a great Kimpton property! Nice big rooms. Colorful and eclectic. VERY pet friendly. Many dogs everywhere. Wine social in the early evening was lively. This is a great location for exploring Portland.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco and for writing a review on TripAdvisor. We like our guests to feel at home here; being pet friendly and hosting the wine hour every night is just the beginning. We hope we have the chance to welcome you back again sometime soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here on our first visit to Portland. Good central location. Stylish boutique hotel. Friendly helpful staff. Smallish double room - more suited to one person than 2. Good bathroom and shower. Robes provided - unusual animal print ones. In room safe and coffee machine. Complementary wine every day between 5 and 6 p.m. Good location for downtown and the riverfront. Found the room a little noisy with traffic as we were on 2nd floor. Wifi available for free if you sign up to Kimpton so worth doing. Valet parking only @ $38 per night.

Room Tip: higher floor may be quieter for traffic noise
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Hotel Monaco Portland and for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. Thank you also for joining the Kimpton InTouch loyalty program. The free wi-fi is just one of the perks we offer our program members. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back sometime soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was our second stay at Hotel Monaco in Portland and it lived up to our high expectations set on our first visit! The atmosphere is funky yet classy and the rooms are well appointed and inviting. The complimentary wine and art hour each night is fantastic! The staff bends over bank wards to make sure guests are happy. The pet friendliness just adds another great vibe. I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. It is a part of why our time in Portland is treasured!

Room Tip: Both visits, we were upgraded to a suite!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for staying with us again and for the lovely review. I love hearing that we met high expectations and I think the staff does everything they can to make sure that everyone walks away feeling as great as you do about your stay. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back sometime very soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I have stayed at the Monaco many times, each time I have found the rooms beautifully appointed, comfortable and clean. Each time I've stayed, all hotel staff have been friendly, courteous and supremely accommodating, often going above and beyond my expectations.

1  Thank travellingduck_8

Thank you for the wonderful review and for staying with us at Hotel Monaco Portland. I know you have many choices when you come to Portland and it means a lot that you chose to come and stay with us over and over again. I look forward to seeing you again sometime soon.