“Amazing one-day stay in Portland” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #3 of 138 Hotels in Portland
San Francisco, California
“Amazing one-day stay in Portland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Amazing service that started at the car valet in the basement. Very professional and friendly. Front desk help was even better. We were a bit early for our check in...and without even asking they just upgraded us to a better room so we could check in. The decor is amazing. Fun yet classy. We ordered room service and it was prompt and seriously delish. Wish we could have stayed longer. I'd DEFINITELY stay here the next time I come to Portland.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you, avoid the south facing rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you so much for the review and for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland. I was pleased to read your comments about the staff, I think they are one of our outstanding assets. I've made sure the room service folks have the chance to read your comments about the food and service as well. I was also glad to see we were able to upgrade you with so little fuss. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to being part of your future visits to Portland.

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Hotel Monaco was very nice, rooms were decorated very funky and the staff was always very pleasant and helpful. The wine hour was fantastic, they had fairly large selection of both beer and wine, there were always activities for the kids, and the live piano was lovely. The only drawback is the location. While it definitely gets high marks for being so centralized, the area itself isn't very welcoming. I felt like every time I stepped out of the hotel I was being approached for change and the area seems fairly deserted at night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to read that you found the staff pleasant and helpful, I think they are pretty great at what they do too. I'm glad you had the chance to enjoy wine hour and found the piano and family activities a perk. Do please let us know if you ever feel uncomfortable as our staff is always happy to get you a cab or to help you plan your walking route. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back to Portland in the future.

Craig Thompson
North Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed for one night on the way to Cannon Beach. Our room was small but eclectically decorated, very clean and with lots of amenities. The hotel features a happy hour each night which is a nice way to meet other travellers. Staff were very helpful with directions, suggestions and making reservations for dinner on short notice. The valet parking is expensive at $38.00 / night and internet was not free (although the front desk CSR didn't charge us for it.) Hard to imagine in today's world that hotels still charge for internet. Would recommend Hotel Monaco and check out the extra charges when making your decision.

Room Tip: As mentioned above make sure you are aware of all of the extra charges. If you have allergies they h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland. I appreciate your kind comments about the staff. I noticed your comment about the internet charges and thought I would invite you to join our loyalty program, Kimpton InTouch. Membership is free and provides you with free access to internet, a credit in the honor bar, and notices of special deals as well as other perks. Thank you again for your review, we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I were delighted with our stay at this beautiful and charmingly decorated hotel (lobby and our room color combinations with nature influence were luxurious and uplifting; unlike other generically decorated hotels this one appears to have top designer influence). Staff (check in and doorman) were also genuinely friendly and helpful. Without hesitation I look forward to staying at this hotel again as well as in their other locations. Thank you so much for our experience, this is one of our favorite hotels ever!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
And thank you for such wonderful comments. I agree that the decor is one of the things that stands out around here. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back again sometime in the near future.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel Monaco for three nights to celebrate a birthday. Having previously stayed at another Kimpton Hotel, we had high hopes - and the Hotel Monaco exceeded our expectations! The hotel is gorgeous, staff are incredibly helpful and the front desk team were wonderful. They knew about our birthday celebration and had organised an upgraded room and complimentary bottle of Prosecco. It was a fantastic way to begin our visit.

The hotel itself is centrally located and the 'wine hour' is a great way to meet other guests. It's a pet friendly company which is nice - but they also have hypoallergenic floors for those with allergies. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Well let me take the chance to tell you happy birthday on e more time! Thank you so much for spending it with us. Hearing that we exceeded expectations always puts a little pep in our step. Hope to see you again in the near future.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

As a first-time dog owner, I am new to traveling with pets. My son, dog, and I spent two fabulous nights at the Monaco in August. At check-in, a yellow lab named Tibby greeted us (the director of pet relations). The room was set up with water and food bowls, a bed, and a treat. The hotel gives out a list of top 10 things to do in Portland with your dog. Staff and guests alike were friendly and loving to my pooch. I must say, the bar is now set really high for pet-friendly hotels. I'd stayed at this hotel for years and had appreciated the complimentary wine-tasting, fun décor, extending staff, and comfortable beds but now I have a whole new level of appreciation. The bar makes a mean Negroni too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us, and for your lovely review. So happy to hear about your recent canine addition. It sure isn't always easy to travel with dogs and kids in tow, but we try to make it fun. (The Negroni's at the bar can only help.) We all love welcoming our four legged friends as they cruise through town. I look forward to seeing you and your whole family again soon.
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed two nights at this property with my boyfriend as part of a road trip from northern California to Seattle at the beginning of July, 2013. We used this unique hotel as a base for exploring Portland and for a day of sightseeing and hiking in the Columbia River Gorge, to Mount Hood and back.

The hotel is EXCELLENT, with dazzling, over-the-top guest room decor, parking (I booked a parking-inclusive package as a AAA member), great service, and the awesome Kimpton wine hour nightly.

Staff were extremely helpful at check in and also gave helpful advice on breakfast places and easy-to-follow directions. Rooms were meticulously maintained, and everyone from front dest to valet staff was pleasant and worked hard to make our experience great.

The hotel is centrally located, so if you like walking a city like Portland, you can cover a lot of ground and return to your hotel without needing to drive anywhere. We had a car because day two of our stay was a highly recommended tour of the Columbia River Gorge, with stops at the Crown Point Lookout, a hike to the top of Multnomah Falls (DO it!), a visit to Herman the sturgeon at the Bonneville Fish Hatchery (worth seeing with its park-like setting and amazing fish), and a drive around Mount Hood.

The Hotel was comfortable, convenient, and staffed with really nice people, and we would gladly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I asked for a room on a high floor, away from the elevators (this is a part of my Kimpton profile I...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review and for being a part of our Kimpton InTouch Loyalty program. I was glad to read you had the chance to see so much of the area on your trip and that you had such wonderful things to say about the staff; I agree they are a pretty fantastic group of nice people. I hope you have the chance to stay with us again soon.