“One of my favorite hotels ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #3 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Washington DC
“One of my favorite hotels ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I were delighted with our stay at this beautiful and charmingly decorated hotel (lobby and our room color combinations with nature influence were luxurious and uplifting; unlike other generically decorated hotels this one appears to have top designer influence). Staff (check in and doorman) were also genuinely friendly and helpful. Without hesitation I look forward to staying at this hotel again as well as in their other locations. Thank you so much for our experience, this is one of our favorite hotels ever!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
And thank you for such wonderful comments. I agree that the decor is one of the things that stands out around here. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back again sometime in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel Monaco for three nights to celebrate a birthday. Having previously stayed at another Kimpton Hotel, we had high hopes - and the Hotel Monaco exceeded our expectations! The hotel is gorgeous, staff are incredibly helpful and the front desk team were wonderful. They knew about our birthday celebration and had organised an upgraded room and complimentary bottle of Prosecco. It was a fantastic way to begin our visit.

The hotel itself is centrally located and the 'wine hour' is a great way to meet other guests. It's a pet friendly company which is nice - but they also have hypoallergenic floors for those with allergies. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Well let me take the chance to tell you happy birthday on e more time! Thank you so much for spending it with us. Hearing that we exceeded expectations always puts a little pep in our step. Hope to see you again in the near future.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

As a first-time dog owner, I am new to traveling with pets. My son, dog, and I spent two fabulous nights at the Monaco in August. At check-in, a yellow lab named Tibby greeted us (the director of pet relations). The room was set up with water and food bowls, a bed, and a treat. The hotel gives out a list of top 10 things to do in Portland with your dog. Staff and guests alike were friendly and loving to my pooch. I must say, the bar is now set really high for pet-friendly hotels. I'd stayed at this hotel for years and had appreciated the complimentary wine-tasting, fun décor, extending staff, and comfortable beds but now I have a whole new level of appreciation. The bar makes a mean Negroni too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us, and for your lovely review. So happy to hear about your recent canine addition. It sure isn't always easy to travel with dogs and kids in tow, but we try to make it fun. (The Negroni's at the bar can only help.) We all love welcoming our four legged friends as they cruise through town. I look forward to seeing you and your whole family again soon.
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed two nights at this property with my boyfriend as part of a road trip from northern California to Seattle at the beginning of July, 2013. We used this unique hotel as a base for exploring Portland and for a day of sightseeing and hiking in the Columbia River Gorge, to Mount Hood and back.

The hotel is EXCELLENT, with dazzling, over-the-top guest room decor, parking (I booked a parking-inclusive package as a AAA member), great service, and the awesome Kimpton wine hour nightly.

Staff were extremely helpful at check in and also gave helpful advice on breakfast places and easy-to-follow directions. Rooms were meticulously maintained, and everyone from front dest to valet staff was pleasant and worked hard to make our experience great.

The hotel is centrally located, so if you like walking a city like Portland, you can cover a lot of ground and return to your hotel without needing to drive anywhere. We had a car because day two of our stay was a highly recommended tour of the Columbia River Gorge, with stops at the Crown Point Lookout, a hike to the top of Multnomah Falls (DO it!), a visit to Herman the sturgeon at the Bonneville Fish Hatchery (worth seeing with its park-like setting and amazing fish), and a drive around Mount Hood.

The Hotel was comfortable, convenient, and staffed with really nice people, and we would gladly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I asked for a room on a high floor, away from the elevators (this is a part of my Kimpton profile I...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review and for being a part of our Kimpton InTouch Loyalty program. I was glad to read you had the chance to see so much of the area on your trip and that you had such wonderful things to say about the staff; I agree they are a pretty fantastic group of nice people. I hope you have the chance to stay with us again soon.
Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

When we walked into our room (a King Suite), our daughter was stunned into silence. Finally she said, "none of this should go together but it does." The decor is outstanding. Rugs, chairs, walls, all are unique but nicely tied together. The big picture window, soft beds, and animal print robes gave our hotel room the feel of absolute luxury.

The hotel is not stuffy or overly rigid. The staff was attentive and pleasant to interact with. As for the dogs -- I've never seen such well-behaved dogs. Both the hotel dog and the guest dogs gave the lounge area a relaxed and happy feel.

We (even the teenage daughter) highly recommend the Monaco Portland.

Room Tip: We were given the opportunity to upgrade for a few dollars more. The room we got was spectacular.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for writing such a lovely review. I know the teen stamp of approval can be hard to come by, but I think she hit the nail on the head with her comment. I had my doubts when we saw some of the design boards myself, but it sure came out beautiful. I hope you all have the chance to return again sometime soon.
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here a year ago and gave it an enthusiastic review. I finally was able to return and am happy to say that it's as good as ever. Some hotels just get it, and this one does. The location is good, right by the Pearl district and Pioneer square, and public transportation is steps away if you need it. The rooms are great, as are the public spaces. The evening beer/wine hour gives the whole thing the feel of being at a very swank house for the weekend. The staff are terrific, from cleaners to concierge. I need to buy a lottery ticket so I can live there permanently.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank JJTOH
Thank you for staying with us and for your multiple reviews, we're flattered reading such high praise. Your comment about some places just getting it is what we strive for every day. Best of luck with the lottery. I look forward to hearing about your big win when you move in.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Monaco for our wedding night and had an excellent experience. The check-in was quick, service was very friendly, and the room was great. The overall style of the hotel was different from anything else we stayed in before, which was part of the allure of the Monaco. Everything about the experience was as I expected it to be or superior to it. If you're choosing between the many hotels in downtown Portland, I'd very much recommend the Monaco.

Room Tip: As is the case with any hotel downtown - the higher floor, the better. This gets you away from traff...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Congratulations! Thank you for spending such a special night with us and for writing such a lovely review. I was pleased to read we exceeded your expectations and hope to see you again soon.

Craig Thompson