“Great location”

Ranked #2 of 141 Hotels in Portland
York, Pennsylvania
“Great location”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed here with a girlfriend on a girls vacation. It was the perfect location. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was great and the beds were very comfortable. The valet parking was easy and convenient. So much to do within walking distance of this location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Beth B
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your generous review. I agree our location is a nice perk and our staff is pretty wonderful. I hope we have a chance to see you again.

Craig Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We are very satisfied repeat guests of the Monaco. We strayed once, but came back to the fold on our last trip to Portland. The staff is excellent: friendly, empowered, knowledgeable without being cloying or creepily attentive. The rooms are always in top condition, quiet and supremely comfortable. The location is excellent for exploring Portland by foot, trolley or car. It's become a home away from home for us and part of what brings us back to Portland each year. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your lovely review and for your loyalty. We love knowing we make you feel so at home here. I agree the staff is great at what they do. I think they are one of our greatest assets. We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Rutland, Vermont
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife & I spent 2-days at the Hotel Monaco as part of our 10th anniversary trip. To start, we were given a room upgrade to their "grand suite" which was unexpected and appreciated. It was a beautiful & eclectic 2-room suite that included a 2nd bathroom and separate living room. The manager provided a bottle of champagne and my wife loved the fresh rose petals on the bed when we arrived. We were on the 9th floor so street noise was not a problem. The hotel was spotless and the staff was very accommodating. The location is central city which makes it very easy to get around. We walked every where and never had any problems. The two restaurants they recommended were both excellent. The hotel provides a beer & wine happy hour between 5 & 6 everyday which is a very nice touch. I would recommend staying at hotel Monaco if you are planning a trip to Portland.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor to reduce outside street noise
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Happy anniversary! Thank you for spending it with us and for writing the lovely review. I was happy to read you were so well taken care of. I noticed you had the chance to join us for wine hour and to explore the city on foot. I look forward to welcoming you back again sometime soon.

Tucson
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Portland visiting a friend. The hotel was perfect for my stay. I used the hotel exercise room, enjoyed the lively wine tasting in the lobby, and the complimentary coffee and tea in the morning. Complimentary bikes are provided as well. My room was very spacious with two queen beds and a sitting room. I enjoyed the restaurant attached to the hotel, except for the slow service. It took 30 minutes to receive my breakfast two mornings in a row. The hotel was conveniently located in the downtown area. My only objection would be the hotel charges a surcharge of 50 dollars a day on my credit card upon arrival. The charge was removed 3 days following my stay, upon a call to the hotel. I would stay again.

Room Tip: the fitness room is on the ninth floor.
Green Features: The hotel has very good environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. I've passed on your comments about the restaurant service to the Red Star manager as I'm sure they want to address any problems that might slow things down. I'm glad you got the chance to use the fitness center and the bikes; it sounds like you had quite an active stay. I hope we do have the chance to welcome you back again sometime soon.
Glenview, Illinois
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here in a nice suite with 2 of my sisters for one of their 50th birthday. The hotel was lovely and the concierge sent us a nice bottle of wine The hotel is walking distance to anything downtown and at the river front and a short cab ride if you need it to the Pearl or anywhere else. Also stayed here on other occasions for work. Love love love. Yummy coffee in the am and always the wine tasting 5-6.

Room Tip: if you cannot afford a suite, a Corner King is awesome.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Happy birthday to your sisters and thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. I was pleased to read you all had such a good time and look forward to welcoming you in the future be it for business or more birthday cheer.

New Jersey
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Monaco is in a great location, only a few blocks from the red train line in downtown Portland. Kimpton hotels go out of their way to ensure a terrific experience. The Monaco is no different. One of the things that sets them apart is the fantastic service. We were always greeted with a smile and the front desk staff was beyond accommodating. The nightly happy hour is also a highlight and this being Portland, the Oregon wines and beers were exceptional. The only negative was that the room was a bit cramped. But there was room enough to unroll the yoga mat, another signature Kimpton offering. Oh yeah, another negative - we didn't get to meet Timmy, the hotel's canine mascot. Maybe next time.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for tkaing the time to write a review. I was happy to read you found us so accommodating and welcoming. I agree the yoga mats are a great new addition to all of our hotels. I'm sorry you didn't have the chance to meet Timmy whilel you were here. As he ages he seems to need more down time at home and he doesn't work quite as often as he used to. He hopes he has the chance to meet you next time as he always likes welcoming our guests.

New York
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Loved everything about this hotel...the funky decor, great location and accommodating staff. We have a family member with bad allergies and the hotel is super pet-friendly. We mentioned the allergy issue upon check-in and they quickly and cheerfully changed our room to a suite on their pet-free floor. The only complaint is the hefty charge for garage parking. Other than that, totally pleased!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for writing such a lovely review. The pet free floors have been quite the hit since we introduced them a few years ago and we have recently added a couple extra floors to this program. I know parking can be a shock and we do regularly survey the other hotels in the area to make sure we are matched. Perhaps the time is approaching when we should look again. Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us.